• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

well, if we do sell him for 12m, lets see how we do then..we have no europe so maybe we can do with 12 players this season..regulars

Agree with it all except the £15m part. Booz pulls out all the weaknesses in Doherty's game, none of which I'd argue with, but that's very much with a Wolves fans' lens. Tottenham, a Top 6 side want to sign a player from the side that finished 7th who plays week in week out and make him their first choice. He's 28 and has 3 years left on his contract. Forget who he is and what you know and look at those facts. £15m is woefully short

They signed Hojbjerg from a side who finished seven points behind them, played three league games less than Doherty, is three years younger for £5m more. And virtually all of us think Southampton robbed them. There's plenty of ways you can spin it and in this instance, for me anyway, it's impossible to look at it any other way.

People really need to forget what Doherty was like in 2016. It isn't relevant anymore. No one brings up how crap Coady was back then as a stick to beat him with, but it constantly clouds judgement of Doherty now, but it really isn't relevant.

If the fee is 12-15m we are being mugged off - it may well be part of bigger picture on the Mendes carousel though.

The more I think about it, £15m plus add ons maybe isn’t. I would much prefer to hear it’s twenty plus but he isn’t getting younger.
He's about peak age for a defender, they're effectively buying the premium of a player that's done all his learning and developing, proven it for a couple of years at pretty much the top level so he's just plug and play.

If that's only worth £15m why is Maitland-Niles general considered fair price at 30% above that? What in that 2 years of struggling to find a position, let alone hold down a place in the team adds more value than what Doherty has done in that time?

I think he has been, and he offers so much going forward(which is what we need) one - twos..running into good space..cut back passes in the box..i think people on here have always had him as a bit of a scapegoat tbf..

A scapegoat? Did you read my post? I've admitted he proved me completely wrong and has contributed loads, how is that scapegoating?

He's about peak age for a defender, they're effectively buying the premium of a player that's done all his learning and developing, proven it for a couple of years at pretty much the top level so he's just plug and play.

If that's only worth £15m why is Maitland-Niles general considered fair price at 30% above that? What in that 2 years of struggling to find a position, let alone hold down a place in the team adds more value than what Doherty has done in that time?

You get ten years out of him.

A scapegoat? Did you read my post? I've admitted he proved me completely wrong and has contributed loads, how is that scapegoating?

I was talking in general

People really need to forget what Doherty was like in 2016. It isn't relevant anymore. No one brings up how crap Coady was back then as a stick to beat him with, but it constantly clouds judgement of Doherty now, but it really isn't relevant.

If the fee is 12-15m we are being mugged off - it may well be part of bigger picture on the Mendes carousel though.

Having spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds to watch him lumber around, I'm not forgetting anything, my friend :D

Two things that I think are reasonably likely.

1) Nuno has told Doc that we are buying a new RWB so he won't be an automatic choice any more. Doc isn't very happy at this, knows there is some interest from elsewhere and now wants to go

2) As Booz has alluded to, Nuno probably wants to tweak our style a bit, we can be a bit tepid and predictable at times (although always well organised and we'll never lose many) and we need different players to do that. He might look at someone like TAA and the sheer amount of assists he provides from relatively "neutral" areas. Doc is never going to do this, ever

The more I think about it, £15m plus add ons maybe isn’t. I would much prefer to hear it’s twenty plus but he isn’t getting younger.
£20m with the add ons would be the very bottom end of acceptable and then it depends what they are. An extra £1m for every 15 games he plays then ok, but if they are about Spurs winning the CL or PL then they aren't worth anything
They signed Hojbjerg from a side who finished seven points behind them, played three league games less than Doherty, is three years younger for £5m more. And virtually all of us think Southampton robbed them. There's plenty of ways you can spin it and in this instance, for me anyway, it's impossible to look at it any other way.
He had 12 months left on his contract and put in a transfer request which cost him the captaincy. If anything that proves my point

Catching up on this thread today, might have skimmed some of it, but i recall some mention of shit hot drugs?
I'm gonna need some of that right now, ta.

Having spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds to watch him lumber around, I'm not forgetting anything, my friend :D

Two things that I think are reasonably likely.

1) Nuno has told Doc that we are buying a new RWB so he won't be an automatic choice any more. Doc isn't very happy at this, knows there is some interest from elsewhere and now wants to go

2) As Booz has alluded to, Nuno probably wants to tweak our style a bit, we can be a bit tepid and predictable at times (although always well organised and we'll never lose many) and we need different players to do that. He might look at someone like TAA and the sheer amount of assists he provides from relatively "neutral" areas. Doc is never going to do this, ever
Well yeah, only valid reasons I see in this, otherwise it is crazy..still the price is pissing me off

But you don't know what the price is...

I still can't wrap my head around Mourinho wanting him. He's not a very Mourinho type player

Very late to this party.

How often have we grumbled about Doc defensively? He is great on his day going forward but off his day is meh .

Good luck to him. He has put in the hard yards.

He was on most people’s list for an upgrade. Let’s see if we get it . That’s the important thing. MGW and Doc were fixtures in the squad so it’s looking thin now.

Let’s see what comes on.

If we brought Sessegnon in on loan for a season (loan fee part of Doc deal) and got AMN for 20mill I wouldn't feel too downhearted. Sess and Vinny battle it out for a season and then Jonny returns.

We aren't a club that like getting players in on loan with no option to buy though.

Also we all felt we needed RWB cover before Doc looked like going, so surely if we only bought AMN for that side we still would.

Back