• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

I haven't seen meltdowns on here, people should fight battles on Twitter if they feel that strongly, I certainly am a bit tired of seeing the phrase 'pant wetter' thrown around several times on here in reaction to perfectly reasonable discussion and concern
It would help if you stopped pishing yourself.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen meltdowns on here, people should fight those battles on Twitter with the people being OTT and entitled if they feel that strongly, I certainly am a bit tired of seeing the phrase 'pant wetter' thrown around several times on here in reaction to perfectly reasonable discussion and concern

The thing is, until you said that I had, by virtue of replying to your post about the team not being stronger than 2018, insinuated that you were pant wetting, I hadn't seen anyone use that term.
I certainly didn't indicate that I thought you were "pant wetting" as I just felt that, overall, the 18 from the Everton match has definitely been improved. I also put that we need to strengthen and identified where I believed we needed to.
I also don't believe that Doc has gone but if (when) he does then that is another position we need to cover.
I don't get why people are so keen to believe everything they see written (or hear on TalkShite) as immediately happening and I am willing to go into "wait and see" mode

I used the word pant wetter and I'm sorry

I just feel there's a bit of overreaction as nothing has actually happened yet

It's not been confirmed.
None of us know if it's going to happen
None of us know who's lined up
None of us know the fee.

Jeff and Nuno are close, Nuno and Jeff have said they talk all the time about what he wants.

You can gurantee Nuno sanctioned the deal.
Post Sevilla nuno said too many players started the Championship season.

I always said I wanted an upgrade, just maybe Nuno does as well maybe Doc knows, once Spurs came in for him doc's thinking Nuno is chasing a replacement so i will leave and get paid more money and possibly play more.

Lets wait and See

Also have to add in to this is that Uncle Jorge is Doc's agent since last season, so its very doubtful that its a case of the agent being in his ear about leaving for bigger wages.
Fosun/Nuno and Mendes will almost certainly be all in agreement before pushing the button for it to happen (if it does).

If he plays in a flat back 4 he will be a disaster as he isn't a good defender by his own admission. We could have actually weakened a rival and took money off them in the process.

Ha ha liking it.

Personally, I think it's a bad move for Doherty. He's thriving here after 7 years of being worse than shite.
And Nuno and team have to take most of that credit.

Mourinho plays a defensive style these days and as we know, Matt ain't good at defending.
Matt's best games happen when he is given the freedom to get forward at will, bombing up and down the wing knowing he's got defensive cover behind him.
Unless Mourinho moves to 5 at the back, I can't see him giving Matt the same licence to get forward.

Also, I think modern day Mourinho destroys talent. Look at Luke Shaw, Aurier, Darmian and Valencia. They all wilted under Mourinho's coaching.

If Doherty goes, I would wish him well and thank him for the last 3 seasons but I think we can definitely replace him with someone better. The only question is who? AMN? Totally unproven at this level.

I also think this is a bad move for us if we don't have someone lined up and about to sign, which I highly doubt.

Have any of you actually seen that Jose plays with a lopsided back four, with a defensive left back and an offensive right wingback? He's absolutely not going to be a conventional, flat-back four Right Back

In possession they do that yes.

Out of possession it really didn't help Aurier defensively nor do I think it will help Doherty.

At this point though how he does at Spurs (if it goes through) doesn't matter. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell is going on with us :icon_lol:

Aurier also sees more of the ball than anybody else in that Spurs team - Doc is not good enough in possession to be a threat in open play from that position.

The Guardian reckons that the Doherty deal's almost done- $12m initial, with £5m in add-ons.

It will be undisclosed whatever it is. As will Maitland-Niles if he turns up here. Only way it wouldn’t be would be if the club stated that if all add ons kicked in, it was our record sale. At that point you know the potential total would be over £21m that either Cav or Helder has totalled with the promotion bonus payment.

I should bloody well hope not after his 5 more years comment last week.

I'm not saying he wasn't being truthful, but honestly, footballers do and will say a lot of things. How many boyhood clubs did Robbie K have?

Before this started getting traction among the higher tier reporters I did wonder if Spurs were pulling the Football Manager tactic of leaking interest to try and unsettle the player/put pressure on the club. Might still be the case, we've all seen the numbers floating around. Levy is of course known as a tough negotiator but I'm not sure we are too bad ourselves, I wouldn't say we have been ripped off (yet) since Fosun arrived - the opposite, if anything. Some bad buys, yes, but not at hugely inflated fees; equally just a few days ago we were all marvelling at how much we brought in for Cav and Costa.

Incidentally I'm not sure people are backing the club outright on here (though I can only speak for myself, obviously) - I'm not sure anyone is happy with the lower end of the numbers that are being quoted. Some would take £15m, some wouldn't. Some wouldn't be happy with less than £30m - there's a wide range of opinions but I don't think there's any universal agreement other than we will need to replace him, somehow - how and when that happens and whether you're comfortable with it not being done yet is down to you. Am I concerned? Yes. Am I worried? Not just yet. They cannot, *cannot* do this and not understand what is required afterwards (and already required elsewhere), we would not be where we are now with that level of incompetence. Whether they're capable of pulling it off, well, that part isn't so clear right now.

Something that did cross my mind - depending on who we bring in, I wonder if there might be scope to allow for a CAM? Typically when we play 3-5-2 we know Donck often ends up covering a lot of space in behind Doc as he goes forwards. Hypothetically if there was a change so there was more of a 'Jonny-type' player on the right side, perhaps it might free the CM up more to replace the attacking threat? Just a thought :confused-smiley-013 -edit- I have my doubts on this as Nuno always talks about unbalancing the opposition with movement from one side to the other, in theory a CAM might enable that in conjunction with the WBs and strikers, but it's far easier with wide forwards. Still, something to chew on (or not!)

Ha ha liking it.

Personally, I think it's a bad move for Doherty. He's thriving here after 7 years of being worse than shite.
And Nuno and team have to take most of that credit.

Mourinho plays a defensive style these days and as we know, Matt ain't good at defending.
Matt's best games happen when he is given the freedom to get forward at will, bombing up and down the wing knowing he's got defensive cover behind him.
Unless Mourinho moves to 5 at the back, I can't see him giving Matt the same licence to get forward.

Also, I think modern day Mourinho destroys talent. Look at Luke Shaw, Aurier, Darmian and Valencia. They all wilted under Mourinho's coaching.

If Doherty goes, I would wish him well and thank him for the last 3 seasons but I think we can definitely replace him with someone better. The only question is who? AMN? Totally unproven at this level.

I also think this is a bad move for us if we don't have someone lined up and about to sign, which I highly doubt.
Didn't see much of Spurs post lockdown, but apparently Aurier was playing as a sort of wing back in possession with Davies tucking in and them forming a central 3

Yes. Jose seemed to employ that sort of formation with a double pivot in holding midfield with the idea that one of those drops in when the rb bombs forward to create a four while the lb (Or left centre back) is truly defensive.

It might suit him, depending on how much protection drops in behind him.

It hasn't really worked that well for them though. They've been pretty crap in general under Jose, particularly defensively.

It'll be Hojbjerg or Winks and they're both shite - he is not going to have the same level of protection afforded by Donck/Neves/Boly in that system.

Aurier is rapid so at can also get back to cover (if not well). Doc is just not going to offer that.

Back