• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Honestly, who gives a fuck that he was shit in 2014? He's been bloody good for successive Premier League seasons and we're selling him for fuck all.

He wasn't agitating, he was happy, talking about another 5 years here. And we've rolled over and had our bellies tickled by Mendes' biggest client.

Our squad was wafer thin 4 weeks ago and we were all saying we'd only expect a maximum of three players to come in. We've since lost 2 of the the first names on the team sheet.

He hasn't been good as a RB as he hasn't played there, you're suggesting he's a clear upgrade on Aurier. I'm saying he's not as he's never ever looked good as a RB.

That'll be why we were still desperate to get a striker over the line on deadline day, only for PSV to pull the plug on Locadia, then.
So it's our fault that PSV pulled the plug then (Thank god they did btw)? For fuck sake Fosun, get your finger out. Having one of the best transfer windows in Championship history isn't acceptable because you sold a broken striker, thought you had replaced him and then had another club go back on their word.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

The defend the club at all costs on here is astounding.

I don’t care about Matt Doherty, I don’t care about him leaving, he’s not that good. What I don’t like is us (potentially) getting way less than we should do, selling him before we have anyone else in an already paper thin squad.

Yes he might have had his head turned, yes we might want to maximise value, yes he will probably be shit at spurs. But he’s not shit here and we don’t have anyone else. But £15m is woefully bad business.

Wind your neck in with your ordering about. And how much time do you think I have? I've already wasted enough arguing with people who want to be cool and contrary about everything.

We're a decent top half team playing out of our skins to stay in and around the top 7 or 8, if our recruitment team can't improve on any of those players successfully, or even have more than a couple of viable squad options, that's not the end of the world, but it certainly doesn't deserve blind faith that this summer will be anything other than another frustratingly wasted opportunity

Not even one?

I don’t care about Matt Doherty, I don’t care about him leaving, he’s not that good. What I don’t like is us (potentially) getting way less than we should do, selling him before we have anyone else in an already paper thin squad.

Yes he might have had his head turned, yes we might want to maximise value, yes he will probably be shit at spurs. But he’s not shit here and we don’t have anyone else. But £15m is woefully bad business.

This guy gets it

Not even one?

Pointless exercise anyway isn't it as even if he can't name any what does it matter? football clubs have whole teams of staff who's specific job revolves around recruitment it's their job to identify upgrades within the budget whether fans can pluck names out of the air is neither here nor there.

Potentially less than the fee for Steven Fletcher following relegation when he was pretty much on strike, eight years ago.

Pointless exercise anyway isn't it as even if he can't name any what does it matter? football clubs have whole teams of staff who's specific job revolves around recruitment it's their job to identify upgrades within the budget whether fans can pluck names out of the air is neither here nor there.

If you're going to chuck stones you should be able to back it up.

I think it's incredibly difficult to upgrade our starting XI.

I'd start with doc.....

So it's our fault that PSV pulled the plug then (Thank god they did btw)? For fuck sake Fosun, get your finger out. Having one of the best transfer windows in Championship history isn't acceptable because you sold a broken striker, thought you had replaced him and then had another club go back on their word.
So what you're saying is that the replacement wasn't sorted?

That's the only point I was making.

So what you're saying is that the replacement wasn't sorted?

That's the only point I was making.
Yeah and the only point I was making was that it's a truly ridiculous stick to beat the club with.

Anyway, there's some actually interesting debates going on in this thread at the moment but this isn't one of them so it'll be the last time I reply to you.

A number of people really need to check in their smug arrogance at the door. Bloody hell, did I drop into a coma and we got relegated back to League One last season?

None of us know whether it's more than paper talk, what the fee actually is if and when it happens, whether the club have replacements lined up, whether Doherty asked to leave or not, nothing.

It hasn't been reported anywhere (apart from talksport) that we've accepted a fee yet to be fair. I can't for the life of me believe that it'll be the £12-16M being reported in some places. Like you said, it'd be woefully bad business.

It hasn't been reported anywhere (apart from talksport) that we've accepted a fee yet to be fair. I can't for the life of me believe that it'll be the £12-16M being reported in some places. Like you said, it'd be woefully bad business.

Well it can’t be that close unless he did his medical poolside in Sardinia.

If it’s £25m then I’m all over it. We will have to see.

Well it can’t be that close unless he did his medical poolside in Sardinia.

If it’s £25m then I’m all over it. We will have to see.

If you swap Doherty for Maitland-Niles and end up with £5-10m in the bank then it looks like a gamble worth taking, use that money towards bolstering another position either by improving the incumbent or adding some youngsters for depth.

Swap that around and end up £5-10m in deficit on that deal and it looks like a gamble stacked much more heavily against you, paying a premium to hope a relatively unproven squad player steps up and provides improvement over someone who's made the position his own in recent years.

If you're going to chuck stones you should be able to back it up.

I think it's incredibly difficult to upgrade our starting XI.

I'd start with doc.....

I feel I have backed my point up, I can't help it if you or some others don't accept it.

The stone I'm 'chucking' isn't that I'm a recruitment expert and Jeff should hire me, it's that after the summer 2018 splurge we don't have anything like the kind of recruitment success that would lead to the more over optimistic assessments of what this summer will yield. I can't see what that kind of optimism is based on.

We've only meaningfully upgraded a couple of wide forward squad positions, even they haven't played that many games and took a long time to integrate.

But we're gonna sign two new wing backs promptly and with no problems and they'll integrate quick enough not to be detrimental to us?

And none of this will impact negatively on the other recruitment Nuno himself has said we need?

I just don't buy it

Fucking hell, is Doc gone for £12m??? Dont get that at all...ridiculously low fee if true

It's not been confirmed.
None of us know if it's going to happen
None of us know who's lined up
None of us know the fee.

Jeff and Nuno are close, Nuno and Jeff have said they talk all the time about what he wants.

You can gurantee Nuno sanctioned the deal.
Post Sevilla nuno said too many players started the Championship season.

I always said I wanted an upgrade, just maybe Nuno does as well maybe Doc knows, once Spurs came in for him doc's thinking Nuno is chasing a replacement so i will leave and get paid more money and possibly play more.

Lets wait and See

I like jonny, he's a good defender. But he could never have the sort of final third influence that Doc does. Solid never costs the same as offensively impactful.

That is very true..damn, really liked Doc for that..saved us many times with his goals also

Back