• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Tbf the revisionist dig wasn't at you, I'm aware you're not a fan... Still a pretty cold goodbye!

Who's talking about league places smart guy? I'm talking about how there's the sudden presumption that we'll solve this personnel problem quickly and easily when recent history suggests otherwise

Hmmmm. Some transfers work, and some just do not. We were unfortunate that Vallejo and Cutrone just did not for whatever reason. They're pretty light black marks on an otherwise flawless record. Nuno is pretty good at identifying players, and identifying when it's time for them to move on.

I want to know where Jeff Shi as Master Dictator has come from - Nuno absolutely has total say over who is sold and who comes in. And I maintain the fact that Doherty probably just fancies a change of scenery after 10 years.

What specifically with the crossing don't you like? I have mentioned this before on here but this is a area of interest to me as a lot of people describe a player as rubbish in that aspect where as stats wise it's not true, and that is the case with Doherty. I get there is a lot of variable, strikers, formations, systems, personally as a coach I never wanted my players crossing, often you can play the right cross but the players don't make the right run etc, what is a cross and what is a pass from the wide position? however look at the below.

Going off the official Prem site he put in 45 crosses and was accurate with 20% of them, Trent AA and Lucas Digne were 23% and 27% respectively however they put in hundreds more crosses. Better comparisons

Jonny - 54 - 17%
Eric Peters - 41 - 27%
Seamus Coleman 43 - 7% (career is at 20%)
Kyle Walker 54 - 19%
Cancelo 47 - 15%
Jack O'Connell - 51 - 22%
Matthew Lowton 45 - 20%
Danny Rose - 45 - 22%
Javier Manquillo - 45 - 11%

So with that in mind his stats are mostly in line with where you would expect.

EDIT - Serge Aurier was 137 crosses for 15%.

He can't cross from deep at all. Legitimately dreadful at it, Mo Camara/Paul Blades levels of shite.

He's alright at cutting the ball back which is a cross of sorts. But let's say we want to tweak our style and give Raul better service from different areas, he can't do it. Not going to learn.

He plays such a weird role for us that it's hard to compare him with anyone else, hence why I think he'll fail and fail hard anywhere else.

Deutsch is right - he's not really even a conventional RWB, but the system we play is such that he thrives in it. Mourinho will not play that system.

Who's talking about league places smart guy? I'm talking about how there's the sudden presumption that we'll solve this personnel problem quickly and easily when recent history suggests otherwise

No need for insults.

Since we've got to the Premier League we've upgraded the keeper, have cover for centre backs (and one of the best defensive records in the league btw), bought in a wing back who was an upgrade and can cover both sides, bought in an international midfield maestro, upgraded the wide forward positions and have one of the best all round centre forwards in the league. You stated that we've struggled to recruit.

The only failure so far that I'd see is not having a decent back up to Jimenez although games with the likes of Jota/Neto up front have proven that we can make do although I'd admit that this scenario isn't ideal.

Not really. Jonny was £15m.

I like jonny, he's a good defender. But he could never have the sort of final third influence that Doc does. Solid never costs the same as offensively impactful.

Hmmmm. Some transfers work, and some just do not. We were unfortunate that Vallejo and Cutrone just did not for whatever reason. They're pretty light black marks on an otherwise flawless record.

Since summer 2018 the only players we've signed that you'd want on the pitch are Neto and Podence. We've ploughed on with the same team and a couple of utility players and haven't successfully integrated anyone else.

I think we already had our work cut out preventing this tired team from stagnating over this weird and brief summer break, fresh first XI blood a necessity, especially with Jonny out for much of the season, so this Doc business is an unwelcome distraction and imo saps our resources unnecessarily, so I fail to see why some are welcoming it. The timing is awful

I like jonny, he's a good defender. But he could never have the sort of final third influence that Doc does. Solid never costs the same as offensively impactful.
Jonny isn't just solid though, he's dominant.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

All the revisionist, anti-Doc stuff is all well and good (and very predictable), but I can't see how the timing of this transfer is good for Wolves at all.

We've struggled to fill several of our most pressing recruitment positions since we've been in the PL, now all of a sudden we're gonna pull two wing backs out of the bag in a fortnight... and that in itself won't affect those other areas that still need attention?
We don't need 2 wing backs in 2 weeks. We need one. The transfer window doesn't shut for ages.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

If he plays in a flat back 4 he will be a disaster as he isn't a good defender by his own admission. We could have actually weakened a rival and took money off them in the process.

I’m a bit bemused by it unless the Jorge carousel is about to deliver us a nice big present. Even if we get Maitland-Niles in almost immediately wing backs are going to be at pretty much bare bones levels. We needed one. Now we could really do with two. With the unfortunate injury the timing seems awkward to say the least.

He can't cross from deep at all. Legitimately dreadful at it, Mo Camara/Paul Blades levels of shite.

He's alright at cutting the ball back which is a cross of sorts. But let's say we want to tweak our style and give Raul better service from different areas, he can't do it. Not going to learn.

He plays such a weird role for us that it's hard to compare him with anyone else, hence why I think he'll fail and fail hard anywhere else.

Yup understate that, completely fair.

Jonny is dominant - a 7 or 8/10 every single time. I don't recall many, if any, games where an attacker has had him on toast. Doc is not defensively solid at all, and he has said as much himself. I would take Jonny's level of reliability over Doherty's offensively impactful (but is he?) every single time.

If you're not too fussed about solidity but want offensively impactful, we can whack Traore there as a make do against Sheffield United.

If he plays in a flat back 4 he will be a disaster as he isn't a good defender by his own admission. We could have actually weakened a rival and took money off them in the process.

He's a definite upgrade on aurier. And we've now got to replace one of our biggest attacking threats.

If it was mad money, I could it. But it's fuck all.

Like Raul, I thought we wouldn't sell him because nobody would pay anything close to what it would take to replace him in our system. But we've basically given him away, in the hope that we replace him with a kid who seemingly didn't want to be a full time wing back at arsenal

Doherty is miles better in that position than Traore it's not even close.

He's not an upgrade on Aurier as a RB, and I think Aurier is awful.

So, let me get this straight- we're just over two weeks from the beginning of the season, we've just sold one of our two first-choice wingbacks (absolutely vital to the way we play), the other's going to be crocked for months, and our only concrete interest for a replacement for either appears to be a player who is moving with an eye to playing more in the midfield, and for whom we've had an offer rejected with other clubs apparently circling?

Fuck me, that's bleak.

He isn't an upgrade on Aurier for being offensively impactful - Aurier has more Premier League assists. And better defence statistics.

Spurs have also just rejected a bid from AC Milan...

Only thing really off for me, as of right now, is the proposed fee.

I mean it's a bold move to ditch your only real first team option for any position but more so in this case when his mirror on the other side of the pitch is out for maybe the whole season too, that can be mitigated though, there's not a lot of time to do it but it could already be ongoing and there's always a chance that replace turns out as an improvement.

I don't think he'd be a success as Spurs, regardless of what they end up paying for him I think it'll ultimately be seen as a waste of money for them somewhere down the line.

Regardless of how that plays out though, Wolves haven't maximised their asset if they're only getting £15m for him, whether they end up as a better team with a new right wing back or he bombs spectacularly for Spurs it'll never make that seem like a good price for the selling club considering his output recently.

Back