• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Fabrizio Romano says its done save for a few minor details.

Maybe we can replace him with someone who doesn't squander possession in important positions when we're trying to build an attack? That would be my No.1 requisite.

This is the thing.. does he do much in these positions? Spurs are selling Aurier who has a higher amount of tackles, interceptions, headers and so forth. Matt bombs forward a lot, and none of us notice the negatives to it as - when he does - Neves slips back to cover. Each and every time.

For a defender who can't defend and a wing back who can't cross he's done very well for himself, I think we can and will do better.

What specifically with the crossing don't you like? I have mentioned this before on here but this is a area of interest to me as a lot of people describe a player as rubbish in that aspect where as stats wise it's not true, and that is the case with Doherty. I get there is a lot of variable, strikers, formations, systems, personally as a coach I never wanted my players crossing, often you can play the right cross but the players don't make the right run etc, what is a cross and what is a pass from the wide position? however look at the below.

Going off the official Prem site he put in 45 crosses and was accurate with 20% of them, Trent AA and Lucas Digne were 23% and 27% respectively however they put in hundreds more crosses. Better comparisons

Jonny - 54 - 17%
Eric Peters - 41 - 27%
Seamus Coleman 43 - 7% (career is at 20%)
Kyle Walker 54 - 19%
Cancelo 47 - 15%
Jack O'Connell - 51 - 22%
Matthew Lowton 45 - 20%
Danny Rose - 45 - 22%
Javier Manquillo - 45 - 11%

So with that in mind his stats are mostly in line with where you would expect.

EDIT - Serge Aurier was 137 crosses for 15%.

:icon_biggrin: It may just be me but I don't get the pant wetting. If it was Neves then fair enough - he's brilliant with the chance to be even more brilliant and have some cracking years here. But Doherty has two-three good years left in him, maximum, before we would need to look at upgrading anyway. It's a marathon, not a sprint. I like that Nuno/Fosun desire for upgrades and for us to be better. He was always next on my list of 'upgrades' after Saiss.

Don't get me wrong, he's alright - he's played for Wolves for years and it will be a bit sad to see him lining up against us. But am I bothered because I think he's an awesome player who is irreplaceable? Not really. And if he wants to leave for his last big move than fair play. He isn't part of the plan if we want to go to the next level.

AMN an upgrade and younger if we sign him. Odd move from Mourinho but who am I to question the special one?

AMN an upgrade and younger if we sign him. Odd move from Mourinho but who am I to question the special one?

Yup, I'd be more worried as a Spurs fan - Aurier's stats as a defender are far superior to Doherty's, and attacking wise he has only scored 2 more goals than Aurier has. I can see Luke Shaw MkII happening.

All the revisionist, anti-Doc stuff is all well and good (and very predictable), but I can't see how the timing of this transfer is good for Wolves at all.

We've struggled to fill several of our most pressing recruitment positions since we've been in the PL, now all of a sudden we're gonna pull two wing backs out of the bag in a fortnight... and that in itself won't affect those other areas that still need attention?

My only problem with Doherty potentially leaving is if Nuno hasn't sanctioned it.

If he has, all well and good and I expect one or two replacements to come in. If he hasn't then it might just be the beginning of the end of the best period that we've had in the last 50 years.

I think I just trust that we've got somebody lined up. Doherty is essential to the system yes, and I'm sure over the last couple of years has become absolutely one of the first names to go on the team sheet (although during pre-season last year a fair few were calling for Traore to usurp him).

If he is so important, we wouldn't be selling him lightly. I don't believe there is any more to this than Spurs rang us, we told Doc, Doc said "I fancy a bit of that" and we said fine. Nuno isn't going to keep an unhappy player, and I think the Ainsley Maitland-Niles interest has come off the back of Spurs' interest in Doherty. We're not going to sign a replacement for Jonny - it's a non-starter as we would be paying £10-15m for a player who could be bench warming in nine months' time.

All the revisionist, anti-Doc stuff is all well and good (and very predictable), but I can't see how the timing of this transfer is good for Wolves at all.

We've struggled to fill several of our most pressing recruitment positions since we've been in the PL, now all of a sudden we're gonna pull two wing backs out of the bag in a fortnight... and that in itself won't affect those other areas that still need attention?

Finishing 7th twice would suggest that we've done OK.

And if we want someone to bomb down the wing and plant crosses in the box whilst Neves/Boly bail them out at the back, we've got Traore for that.. and that isn't me dismissing anything Doherty has achieved for Wolves, but I think a lot of sadness comes from the fact he is seen as an essential attacking threat as opposed to a top drawer defender.

End of an era - last remaining player who was here from the Mick days (although there may be some players in the youth setup who also technically qualify for that). One of our few senior homegrown players, too, although that never seems to be much of an issue most of the time, we'll surely still be having a couple of young 'uns on the bench each game.

Echo the concerns that £15m seems a little on the low side, but then as long as we actually do get a replacement in soon it's probably the right time for it.

Pretty graceless assessment

Not necessarily, it's objectively not massively inaccurate when you look at 2/3 of his Wolves career. He was by his own admission overweight in L1, hasn't really ever convinced either as a traditional LB or RB and even now after the stellar leaps in comparative terms that he has made can't nail down an international place as he does not fit a back 4. I don't think there would have been many spilt tears if he had moved on during the first 5-6 years.

That isn't to deny him credit though for the way he has raised his game under Nuno and his team's coaching and given himself this platform.

Personally, if the end figure for Doc is around the £15m mark, that is a) a massive return and beyond what we could have expected for a long time and b) about right at this stage of his career compared to what we might get from now onwards.

If he does go though, I wish him all the best

Finishing 7th twice would suggest that we've done OK.

Who's talking about league places smart guy? I'm talking about how there's the sudden presumption that we'll solve this personnel problem quickly and easily when recent history suggests otherwise

Nothing revisionist about it, I've never rated him. In fact I loathed him for years, stealing a living.

Back