• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Like Coady he's no world beater, but he's integral to us.

I sincerely hope this all has Nuno's blessing

I don’t really care how he does at Spurs it’s the loss to our squad strength that bothers me.

He wouldn't have been sold if something wasn't on the horizon. IMO, anyway.

The deal will be done . Talksport are shite most of the time but they're going to look very very silly if they've made that up. :icon_lol:

I just don't understand the fee beef: he has been OK for the last four years - two of which in the league below - and he has never pulled up trees internationally. It isn't on the same level as if Jimenez, Traore, Neto, Dendoncker, Neves or Boly were to leave.

Also, maybe he just wanted to leave as soon as Spurs made the call?

Agreed - same with the “mendes carousel” or the “cherry picking” stuff. If it was Neves I’d buy it, but Doc’s upgradeable.

Seems obvious to me that we have pushed to get as close to £20m (a transfer fee up front with add ons) for Doc as possible, so we can then send that £20m straight over to Arsenal’s bank account for AMN.

They obviously think, from a footballing and business perspective, AMN > Doc. Which is probably right as in 5 x years time, a 25 year old AMN should be worth more than a 33 year old Matt Doherty and you’d like to think AMN has a higher ceiling on the pitch too.

Problem is, as it stands, we look hideously short on numbers with not long before the season kicks off.

Doc goes with all the best wishes from me. A fantastic servant for the club that has seen some massive highs & lowest lows. He has made a fantastic career for himself and comes across like a top bloke as well. I suspect he’ll be a big miss in the dressing room.

The issue isn't the player himself leaving it's that it leaves us in a situation where we currently have no senior right wing-back. Not a good situation to be in currently so we will have to act fast which we don't seem to tend to do.

We can't stand in his way if he wants to go mate - and I think that has played its part too. I imagine that's why we've been after Maitland-Niles.

Other sources are saying £15m up front plus the £4m of add ons. Still seems low. I’m guessing Maitland-Niles is going to happen very quickly and hopefully a Jorge deal on another wing back (Corona seems a good candidate) which then allows Maitland Niles to potentially move into midfield when Jonny is fully recovered.

Anyway cheers for the decade Matt. The last three years of it were pretty damn good.

Doherty has just posted on his story "thanks Sardinia but it's time to go home" :D

Agreed - same with the “mendes carousel” or the “cherry picking” stuff. If it was Neves I’d buy it, but Doc’s upgradeable.

Yup. If we were selling 23-year old future Wolves captain and Portuguese international Ruben Neves for anything below £50m I'd kick off. But Matt Doherty for £15m? Meh. We can upgrade for a similar fee, and it isn't a decision that is going to relegate us or put us in any danger of that.

I don't know about "great servant", it's not that hard to keep signing contracts when no-one else wants to sign you. See also Dave Edwards.

He got very lucky that we kept him on for a long time as he was bloody awful. We handed him at least two deals when he wasn't even in the team. Professionalism was a joke for years too.

For a defender who can't defend and a wing back who can't cross he's done very well for himself, I think we can and will do better.

He's also not a player that can play any system - he isn't versatile. With him and Coady, we're pretty regimented to that 3-5-2/3-4-3, and people are going to cotton on to that system eventually - they already are. We need players capable of playing FB as well as WB.

We’ve sold one of our best players to a direct rival for nowhere near his value and no replacement in place. This is terrible business whichever way you look at it.

Maybe Matheson is really fucking good

Seems obvious to me that we have pushed to get as close to £20m (a transfer fee up front with add ons) for Doc as possible, so we can then send that £20m straight over to Arsenal’s bank account for AMN.

Cash flow problem? Maybe that's why they're holding out on the Olympiakos ticket refund announcement!

Seriously though that's all well and good if they're concrete on then landing AMN but this ain't Champ manager you can't sell Doherty but then start from your last save if you don't manage to get AMN....I hope they're sure.

We also really need 2 RWB's now not one.

One of our best players is a huge stretch (if you look at our first choice eleven, hes next after Saiss for us to upgrade IMO) but yeah it's not great business on the face of it right now

Well let's hope the cool cucumbers are right!

I think there's underestimation of his importance to our system and overestimation of our recruitment, but we'll see

We’ve sold one of our best players to a direct rival for nowhere near his value and no replacement in place. This is terrible business whichever way you look at it.

Maybe Matheson is really fucking good

One of our best? Behave. Good in the system yes, one of our best far from it.

I don't know about "great servant", it's not that hard to keep signing contracts when no-one else wants to sign you. See also Dave Edwards.

He got very lucky that we kept him on for a long time as he was bloody awful. We handed him at least two deals when he wasn't even in the team. Professionalism was a joke for years too.

For a defender who can't defend and a wing back who can't cross he's done very well for himself, I think we can and will do better.

Pretty graceless assessment

It's on Twitter now from other (more reliable) sources that a bid hasn't been made but is being prepared - and we are waiting on said bid before moving for Maitland-Niles. It's classic transfer dominoes... considering Doherty has put on his Instagram story that he is flying back today, I'm inclined to believe nothing has been signed yet. Unless Spurs just don't do medicals.

Maybe we can replace him with someone who doesn't squander possession in important positions when we're trying to build an attack? That would be my No.1 requisite.

he obviously has been a key player for us in our system and took to it far better than many would have thought.

it's such a key area that either we are lining up a replacement or nuno has a plan for someone else in the squad.

i'm gonna save my pant wetting for a couple of weeks

Back