• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Well, according to Twitter our future is sorted:

Apparently Fosun plan to sell up, with a Saudi-based buyer already lined up, and we plan to sell of much of the squad to clear the way for a new manager, with Poch already lined up to succeed Nuno.

So we can all relax...

Interestingly, Sky have just put out an article that compares Doherty to Aurier - Aurier is actually better than him statistics wise except for goals scored (more tackles, more assists, more passes).

I don't doubt Matt is a vital player to how we play, but that play has become very much one-dimensional of Coady/Neves spraying the ball out to him. If we need to adapt the system more, could Matt adapt to it? I doubt it. I think he will get found out big time at Spurs in a back four.

Well, according to Twitter our future is sorted:

Apparently Fosun plan to sell up, with a Saudi-based buyer already lined up, and we plan to sell of much of the squad to clear the way for a new manager, with Poch already lined up to succeed Nuno.

So we can all relax...

Do you have a link to this twitter profile so they can go on the unreliable source list?

Maybe not, but is his value (percieved or otherwise) ever going to be higher?

No, this is almost certainly the optimum time to get best price if you wanted to sell Doherty.

He has two years of Premier League experience, one year of Europa League experience, is not a regular Ireland international and is 28 years old.

I think £15m is pretty much peak.

Do I personally think he is better than Ben Chilwell? They're about on par. But Chilwell has won the Premier League, played Champions League football, has England caps, is younger with potential to improve and so on. How good Doherty is now is as good as he's going to get.

He's mooted replacement is Maitland-Niles, who is apparently being quoted at £20m and achieved far less in the game than Doherty thus far but everyone seemed to think that asking price was about fair. If £20m is the going rate for someone with a couple of seasons as a bit part player, struggling to even settle on a position let alone cement that place in the team (a team that finished below Wolves lets not forget) then is it not reasonable to expect more for a player who has absolutely nailed his position for the last two years in one of the best performing teams outside of the usual big boys?

There should be very little pressure to sell Doherty in reality, even if another option is sought for his position it would be nice to retain him as cover for a position that has sorely lacked such a luxury for considerable time now, unless he's desperate to leave or club finances aren't the healthiest then why should the price be driven so low?

I’m still relaxed - Doc is under contract so if Nuno didn’t want him to go, he wouldn’t be going. By extension that means that Nuno has a plan on how to replace him, So what’s the point in worrying until we see whether that plan comes off/works?

All seems very similar to Barry Douglas - player with real strengths and very real weaknesses is being moved on and replaced. The last one turned out to be a great decision, hopefully this one will too.

...Or it could be a Dicko, Costa, Cavaleiro or Cutrone situation, where players (rightfully, in all cases) are moved on and aren't replaced for months and months, if at all.

We've danced this "Fosun wouldn't sell without a replacement waiting in the wings!" dance many times before. You'd have thought that people would have learned by now.

Regarding our budget for this season. Some months ago there was wide scale reporting that Fosun were looking for additional investors to boost the push for the upper echelons. 20% stake in the club was suggested. Could it be that this is holding back out business a bit?

...Or it could be a Dicko, Costa, Cavaleiro or Cutrone situation, where players (rightfully, in all cases) are moved on and aren't replaced for months and months, if at all.

We've danced this "Fosun wouldn't sell without a replacement waiting in the wings!" dance many times before. You'd have thought that people would have learned by now.

Losing those players never weakened us though. At the moment, Doherty would.

Guys, yes there is a reason to be concerned, there are also reasons to sit there in total trust. I am.slightly not overly concerned with the lack of transfer activity, but also quite chilled in complete confidence that Nuno, and Jeff have a plan, we are not talking about Moxey and Morgan here who after the relegation threw in the towel.

We are talking about a investment company that are
looking for a return on their investment, they will not get that if we are not in the top 4/6 of the PL and Europe every season, we need that to build the Brand overseas, it's building the brand via Esports, overseas Growth that gives that ROI Fosun require.

Despite Sky Sports best efforts the transfer window is quiet at best and almost silent at worst.

Chelsea have bought 2 but given they have not bought any one for 2 windows that is not Surprising, its also not Surprising that they have bought excellent buys.

As the window goes on without purchasing players more and more will start worrying.

This close season / Window is like no other the world has changed in 2020.

At the end of the Window we will all be in a better position to judge the window, however lets be honest the only time to really judge this window is after the final game of next season.

Guys, yes there is a reason to be concerned, there are also reasons to sit there in total trust. I am.slightlynnot overly concerned with the lack of transfer activity, but also quite chilled in complete confidence that Nuno, and Jeff have a plan, we are not talking about Moxey and Morgan here who after the relegation threw in the towel.

We are talking about a investment company that arenlooking for a return on their investment, they will not gwt that if we are not in the top 4/6 of the PL and Europe every season, we need that to build the Brand overseas, it's building the brand via Esports, overseas Growth that gives that ROI Fosun require.

Despite Sky Sports best efforts the transfer window is quiet at best and almost silent at worst.

Chelsea have bought 2 but given they have not bought any one for 2 windows that is not Surprising, its also not Surprising that they have bought excellent buys.

As the window goes on without purchasing players mire and more will start worrying.

This close season / Window is like no other the world has changed in 2020.

At the end of the Window we will all be in a better position to judge the window, however lets be honest the only time to really judge this window is after the final game of next season.

How is the window "silent at worst" there have been quite a lot of transfers gone through. Most teams have done business already.

I am not saying people should be panicking but it's not correct that nothing is happening at the moment.

How is the window "silent at worst" there have been quite a lot of transfers gone through. Most teams have done business already.

I am not saying people should be panicking but it's not correct that nothing is happening at the moment.

Just looking through transfers a lot of Frees, City, and Chelsea being the only clubs to have got big 1st team buys.

The rest are nearly all free transfers or transfers from lower leagues.

The promted clubs have done some business but they always do prefering to throw loads at a a lot and hope something sticks.

Of our Rivals
Arsenal
1 free
1 money buy

Chelsea
4 in big money but given they were banned for 2 windows not surprising
Leicester
None in
Chilwell out
Man U
1 loan in
I will include Sheff U not sure they will have another season
1 keeper from Rangers to replace Henderson
1 big money from bournemouth
Spurs 2 in freebies

Thats is not a busy transfer window a lot of freebies making it seem busy.

Talksport say the deal is done..

Just looking through transfers a lot of Frees, City, and Chelsea being the only clubs to have got big 1st team buys.

The rest are nearly all free transfers or transfers from lower leagues.

The promted clubs have done some business but they always do prefering to throw loads at a a lot and hope something sticks.

Of our Rivals
Arsenal
1 free
1 money buy

Chelsea
4 in big money but given they were banned for 2 windows not surprising
Leicester
None in
Chilwell out
Man U
1 loan in
I will include Sheff U not sure they will have another season
1 keeper from Rangers to replace Henderson
1 big money from bournemouth
Spurs 2 in freebies

Thats is not a busy transfer window a lot of freebies making it seem busy.

Those teams don’t have 13 for first team players...

Hearing it’s £12m upfront and £4m in add ons

Don’t care what anyone says or believes having both your WB out or gone 2 weeks before the season starts isn’t a good place to be.

If we don't have anyone lined up in time it's pretty nuts, I agree. Where have you seen that fee?

If we don't have anyone lined up in time it's pretty nuts, I agree. Where have you seen that fee?

Reported on talksport about 30 minutes before it was announced so could be different

Back