• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Bohemians have a sell on clause too - presumably around 10%. So that makes a low fee all the more ludicrous.

If Doc goes for less than 20mill I think raises a hell of a lot of questions.

You know exactly what my point is, but fine.

By 'team that started' I obviously meant the first XI.

I omitted the Bennett / Saiss (who was obviously already here from the Championship) swap, other than that you're looking at the same first choice XI for that game being exactly the same as it is now, aside from Traore for Costa.

None of the other names you reel off have had more than the smallest impact, with the exception of Neto who looks good, and Podence who has played promisingly in a handful of games.

And I doubt either of those would currently get into the first choice XI of any Wolves fan.

What I'm saying is, it's a big change from those kind of results over two years to suddenly filling gaping wing back holes as well as the other areas that we would ideally address, a couple of which are still outstanding from last summer.... all in two or three weeks

So, basically, you want the discussion only on your terms...

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Jonny, Moutinho, Neves, Costa, Jimenez, Jota. 3-4-3

Subs: Ruddy, Hause, Saiss, Enobakhare, Vinagre, Gibbs-White, Bonatini

Best XI now? (all fit and obviously my opinion)

Patricio, Boly, Coady, Saiss; Doherty, Moutinho, Neves, Jonny; Jota, Raul, Neto

Bench; Ruddy, Podence, Traore, Dendoncker, Kilman, Vinagre, Campana

... Jordao, Shabani

Now, for me, the depth is much better than the game vs Everton and there is still a need for a starting CH, LWB cover/starter (poor Jonny), a midfielder and real competition for Raul or, at a minimum, someone the manager trusts to play and give Raul a rest.

Dendoncker could replace Saiss as could (from a small sample) Kilman without weakening the defence. Traore and/or Podence could replace Jota and/or Neto without weakening the wide forward positions. Vinagre for Jonny will have to happen.

If you think the team hasn't strengthened or progressed from the 18 above who were named vs Everton then I don't know what to say really

EDIT; I haven't even got Vinagre in the 18 so remove Jordao or Kilman I guess... Oh and I hadn't mentioned the highly rated German lad who'd injured his knee and is close to full fitness, either

Last edited:
That's all well and good, but in our best XI we've basically swapped Bennett and Costa for saiss and Neto, in 3 windows. Yeah the bench is better, but we've still only got 14 players he actually wants on the pitch. Now one's long term injured and one's going.

Although Kilman has done ok in the odd game he's played there's no way you can say that he wouldn't weaken the defence :icon_lol: . That's not a knock on him, he's inexperienced at the moment but he's not at the same level as Saiss or Dendoncker.

That's all well and good, but in our best XI we've basically swapped Bennett and Costa for saiss and Neto, in 3 windows. Yeah the bench is better, but we've still only got 14 players he actually wants on the pitch. Now one's long term injured and one's going.
It’s impossible to argue against this, and I’m amazed to see people trying!

Someone raised a good point on here yesterday when they said they were worried if Jeff has bitten off more than he can chew.

That all ignores the fact that we spent a shed load to turn Jota, Boly and Raul's loans permenant.

It always amazes me that at the first rumour people suddenly decide that Fosun have no clue what they are doing [emoji2369]

It’s impossible to argue against this, and I’m amazed to see people trying!

Someone raised a good point on here yesterday when they said they were worried if Jeff has bitten off more than he can chew.

Mate, I'm amazed that you're amazed, this kind of logic twisting goes on every time our transfers are 'discussed'

All I actually said was I didn't believe the rumour was true, but that if it was it would take a big u turn in our recent approach to make it work. IMO

Obviously that's enough to be a 'pant wetter' and I'm a very bad, disloyal Wolves fan and Campana, Jordao, Buur and Kilman made all the difference last season and I should be happy with everything because the Kevin Ashley signing didn't work out years ago

Weird that you have to make up something like the entirety of your last paragraph though, if you felt about this so confidently. Literally Not seen anyone say any of that.

It's not all literal, it's about implication...clearly.

Although someone is talking about pant wetting about two posts above mine, and we had the ghosts of Paul Gladon and Joe Mason brought into the conversation yesterday, so maybe you should look harder

Wolves defender Luke Matheson has been named the League One Apprentice of the Year at the 2020 EFL Awards due to his performances at boyhood club Rochdale.

#DocWho?

It makes me laugh. Someone expresses an opinion that they themselves deem as negative and then if someone dares to disagree with that said negative opinion, they start making up stuff like you just did.

As per Andy's comment, I will also keep my judgement of this window til it is closed. If Doherty does go (and it's still currently an if I'd say), you'd expect a flurry of activity. I'd like us to get a move on, for sure, but it doesn't exactly work like that so easily.

Wolves defender Luke Matheson has been named the League One Apprentice of the Year at the 2020 EFL Awards due to his performances at boyhood club Rochdale.

#DocWho?

Good on him. I hope we can get him continued regular first team football, top end League one would be good for him for another year I think

We've had three seasons of continual improvement but folk seem to choose transfer windows as a barometer of success.

We've had a couple of recent failures which were very well mitigated in my view. We've also talked about how upgradable Doc is, which we now seem to be doing.

We've had three seasons of continual improvement but folk seem to choose transfer windows as a barometer of success.

We've had a couple of recent failures which were very well mitigated in my view. We've also talked about how upgradable Doc is, which we now seem to be doing.

IF we are to sell Doherty for £15m it would be concerning on many levels:
1) It undervalues him by at least £10m. We'd be selling a first team player (as he is now) to a Top 6 side, aged 28 and with 3 years left on his contract. We'd have been mugged which then raises questions about Jeff's ability to do that role.
2) It adds credibility to the rumours that we don't have much money to spend this Summer. If that is the case then at least maximise the value of who you are selling
3) The season starts in 2 weeks, a replacement outside of the club will take time to learn the system and one inside would be either a kid who hasn't really trained with the first team yet or Buur
4) I agree that Doherty is upgradeable, but when most say they don't mean him leaving. He becomes one of those on the bench that Nuno will trust Before any signings that would have us down to 13 that he will play. At the very least let's sign the replacement first

Also we would then need 2 wing backs as you aren't going into the season with Vinagre and one other with no cover.

I largely agree TT, which is why these rumours don't make any sense to me.

Even if Nuno has decided Doherty is surplus to requirements (which would explain the fee if true), we can't chance playing Buur against Sheffield United.

The only way these rumours make any sense to me is if Nuno wanted a squad rebuild, but nothing out of the club or even out of the rumour mill suggests that's what we're looking it.

It might all shake out alright by the end of the window, but there's no way we're going to be in fighting shape for the start of the season if this all turns out to be correct.

You'd hope the club would take this window as a chance to throw a bit of money around given that FFP has been relaxed and we have money from player sales to offset spending too.

You'd hope the club would take this window as a chance to throw a bit of money around given that FFP has been relaxed and we have money from player sales to offset spending too.

We have to restrict losses to £27 million for the financial year ending in 2020 and then break even over the three-year period of 2019, 2020 and 2021, so we're not in the same boat as Chelsea, City etc.

Back