• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Yeah Ferreira definitely didn't fly forward, good defender wasn't much of a footballer :D Gallas played left back for his first two seasons I think too.

Well, it’s been a great day...
I wouldn't want him, but Everton are paying him £130k a week. That's what Everton and West Ham do. They'll be paying Rodriguez north of £200k, we aren't there.

Doucoure doesn't really solve any of Everton's issues so that is a strange one.

Rodriguez is a quality footballer though.

With Celtic out of the Champions League I would definitely be looking at Ajer.

Yep was thinking of Ivanovic and others. Mourinho has certainly played with offensive wing backs at times though. From a Spurs perspective I'd be more than happy to have Doc after seeing their play last season

Can't remember Mourinho ever playing with 3 at the back.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Yep was thinking of Ivanovic and others. Mourinho has certainly played with offensive wing backs at times though. From a Spurs perspective I'd be more than happy to have Doc after seeing their play last season
He was signed after Mourinho had left. Doherty is a marginal at best upgrade on Aurier in a 4, even in the way Spurs play it. In a 5 then he's an improvement on what you have.

Losing Doherty means that we’ll be without both of our first-choice wingbacks for next season if Jonny’s road back isn’t quick.

We’re basically looking at a squad rebuild.

... with a recruitment team that has added one player to the team that started our first PL game in 2018

I have no issue with Doc leaving.

For less than £20m with no replacement signed up. Not a chance

Losing Doherty means that we’ll be without both of our first-choice wingbacks for next season if Jonny’s road back isn’t quick.

We’re basically looking at a squad rebuild.

I was thinking back to Nuno's comments after the Sevilla game where he mentioned that we had a lot of the same players as when we came up/start of first PL season (can't remember exact quote). Maybe points to us being a bit ruthless

For me Doherty at rwb ain't broke, so I'd rather see our energies going on a central striker, attacking mid, LWB (or someone who can play both sides) and CH.

If we're shifting our recruitment strategy up a gear and have a chance at getting most of those plus a Doherty replacement, fine, but without any evidence of that shift I'd rather stick with Doc

Another thing to note whoever we are purchasing a replacement from can easily push the price up knowing we need to buy.
For the price quoted and no replacement in through the doors yet I think it’s bad business.

I was thinking back to Nuno's comments after the Sevilla game where he mentioned that we had a lot of the same players as when we came up/start of first PL season (can't remember exact quote). Maybe points to us being a bit ruthless

Thought this was more “we haven’t actually signed anyone to improve us” rather than being unhappy with what he already had.

More the fact that Doc, Boly, Saiss, Coady, now Vinagre, Neves, Jota (now less so) are all pretty much automatic picks 3 years on.

Not sure that less than three weeks before the start of the season with no replacement is the best time to be ruthless with your very successful and only RWB.

... with a recruitment team that has added one player to the team that started our first PL game in 2018

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Jonny (Vinagre 76) , Moutinho (Gibbs-White 85), Neves, Costa (Bonatini 71) , Jimenez, Jota.

Subs: Ruddy, Hause, Saiss, Enobakhare.

We have added (and lost some of) Traore, Podence, Cutrone, Neto, Jordao, Vallejo, Miranda, brought "kids" up from the U23's (it's why we bought them) like Kilman, Campana and Buur and offloaded people who wouldn't get a game for us any more.

A bit more than only signing one player

I guess it’s a question of whether we’re being ruthless or generous. If the talk that he’s looking for a new challenge is right, it could be us not standing in his way.

Still wouldn’t be selling him to one of our rivals, mind.

Wolves: Patricio, Doherty, Bennett, Coady, Boly, Jonny (Vinagre 76) , Moutinho (Gibbs-White 85), Neves, Costa (Bonatini 71) , Jimenez, Jota.

Subs: Ruddy, Hause, Saiss, Enobakhare.

We have added (and lost some of) Traore, Podence, Cutrone, Neto, Jordao, Vallejo, Miranda, brought "kids" up from the U23's (it's why we bought them) like Kilman, Campana and Buur and offloaded people who wouldn't get a game for us any more.

A bit more than only signing one player

You know exactly what my point is, but fine.

By 'team that started' I obviously meant the first XI.

I omitted the Bennett / Saiss (who was obviously already here from the Championship) swap, other than that you're looking at the same first choice XI for that game being exactly the same as it is now, aside from Traore for Costa.

None of the other names you reel off have had more than the smallest impact, with the exception of Neto who looks good, and Podence who has played promisingly in a handful of games.

And I doubt either of those would currently get into the first choice XI of any Wolves fan.

What I'm saying is, it's a big change from those kind of results over two years to suddenly filling gaping wing back holes as well as the other areas that we would ideally address, a couple of which are still outstanding from last summer.... all in two or three weeks

Back