• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Too much smoke here now surely something's going on ?

Percy is the gospel for us - I'm surprised the Telegraph have gone to press on it without his name being on the piece.

The Spurs guy who released the original article yesterday is supposedly their main source, so who knows.

There's enough to suggest that they've bid and we or he are interested at the right price. If we are please sort the replacement first

Can’t see it without a guaranteed replacement done and dusted. Can’t see it being for financial reasons when a replacement would cost more.
If we needed cash I’d be selling Adama and using the extra 50m we’d get on top of the 15m we’re desperate for and strengthen elsewhere.

Start of Fosun asset stripping the club :coffee1: I should really stay off twitter. I don't know who this Podence is that people keep talking about, we clearly haven't invested in the team in forever.

Having said that, from our side of things re: Doc I can kind of see it. His value is probably never going to be higher than it is now. I'm reasonably certain a lot of us on here have at some point or another acknowledged that at some point he will need to be upgraded or replaced. I don't remember exactly what Nuno's quote was after the Sevilla game but it was something along the lines of there were players out there who had started 3 years prior vs Boro - there are only so many that applies to, and I don't think he was talking about Neves.

When Douglas went there was a fair bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth from some quarters of the fanbase. Cav and Costa, less so. At some point, if this thing keeps moving forwards, they are almost all going to go at some point. This is the most high profile one, for sure, but it fits. Remember how after Mick we all found time to assess and agreed that in retrospect sentimentality was a major problem? And the same thing when Kenny came in and actually cleaned a lot of those players out? And even still when Nuno got here and players like Edwards were still hanging around? Yeah.

The fee does seem a bit low on the face of it, but if it then means it enables us to refresh the squad and bring in more players then so be it, I guess. We could second guess til the cows come home but we have to trust they know what they're doing

Start of Fosun asset stripping the club :coffee1: I should really stay off twitter. I don't know who this Podence is that people keep talking about, we clearly haven't invested in the team in forever.

Having said that, from our side of things re: Doc I can kind of see it. His value is probably never going to be higher than it is now. I'm reasonably certain a lot of us on here have at some point or another acknowledged that at some point he will need to be upgraded or replaced. I don't remember exactly what Nuno's quote was after the Sevilla game but it was something along the lines of there were players out there who had started 3 years prior vs Boro - there are only so many that applies to, and I don't think he was talking about Neves.

When Douglas went there was a fair bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth from some quarters of the fanbase. Cav and Costa, less so. At some point, if this thing keeps moving forwards, they are almost all going to go at some point. This is the most high profile one, for sure, but it fits. Remember how after Mick we all found time to assess and agreed that in retrospect sentimentality was a major problem? And the same thing when Kenny came in and actually cleaned a lot of those players out? And even still when Nuno got here and players like Edwards were still hanging around? Yeah.

The fee does seem a bit low on the face of it, but if it then means it enables us to refresh the squad and bring in more players then so be it, I guess. We could second guess til the cows come home but we have to trust they know what they're doing

It's a good point. I'd forgotten that quote from Nuno where he was saying there were players that had been with us since the start of the project . Seemed to be alluding to some moving on.

Alex Richards now reporting it too.

Wolves & Spurs negotiating over Matt Doherty deal. Over 300 games in 10 years at Molineux, but now 28, he has the offer of a new challenge & a significant pay rise. For Wolves, never going to be a better time to cash in. Fee potentially in the region of £16m. #WWFC

Dalot is dogshit and can't stay fit. Stay well away.

It's crazy that we're willing to accept less than £20m for someone who only has TAA ahead of him for output in the last two seasons, and still has three years left on his contract.

Surely other clubs would be interested too at £20m.

The scenes when Costa, Cavaleiro and Doherty all score against us next season

I really, really doubt we could replace doc adequately with £15m. I know it's maybe good money for his age, but surely to fuck we'd be better off keeping him and playing the new guy in for a season or so. I'd rather him leave for nothing in 2 years time than to try and fuck around finding a younger like-for-like for the same money and hoping he seriously hits the ground running. For a proven Premier League performer - amongst the best in the league barring TAA, it's fucking ridiculous money. That just can't be right. It's not as if he's 32 ffs!

I suppose if the interest is real, he'd be keen to go. Europe, massive club and stadium, his competition is wank, probably triple his wages in what is maybe his last window to make a big, progressive career move. Maybe we're kind of rewarding his service (and trusting our recruitment) by letting him go on the cheap. Big risk for us though.

It's crazy that we're willing to accept less than £20m for someone who only has TAA ahead of him for output in the last two seasons, and still has three years left on his contract.

Surely other clubs would be interested too at £20m.

Hypothetically - if we had had, say, Cancelo the last 2 years, what would his output have been?

Is it the player, or the system & coaching? Or somewhere inbetween?

To be clear, I'm not saying he has not made a large contribution, of course he has. But, potentially, could we have that same return from another player?

Without meaning to be rude to Doc, as an analogy let's say Nuno took some bronze and managed to turn it into silver. What could he do if we gave him silver to work with?

I suppose if the interest is real, he'd be keen to go. Europe, massive club and stadium, his competition is wank, probably triple his wages in what is maybe his last window to make a big, progressive career move. Maybe we're kind of rewarding his service (and trusting our recruitment) by letting him go on the cheap. Big risk for us though.
This is it really isn't it. We're not able to compete at their level on wages and if his head has been turned, given the tight-knit nature of the squad, I don't see Nuno wanting to keep them around.

At that point our negotiating power is limited. £20m would be OK all things considered.

I do have concerns if Dalot or the guy from Valencia are the replacements lined up.

Hypothetically - if we had had, say, Cancelo the last 2 years, what would his output have been?

To be clear, I'm not saying he has not made a large contribution, of course he has. But, potentially, could we have that same return from another player?

Without meaning to be rude to Doc, as an analogy let's say Nuno took some bronze and managed to turn it into silver. What could he do if we gave him silver to work with?

Same thing happened with Ryan Bennett, look alright for us but awful for Leicester.

Not sure why so many are seemingly fascinated with Cancelo, what has he ever done to deserve such adulation? Or is it just an easy link to make with the Portuguese connection?

Looking at his stats he doesn't appear to have ever played a full season in his career, certainly hasn't consistently held down a place at his last two clubs even when competing with the much maligned Walker at City. I honestly don't think I've ever seen him do anything of note, really can't fathom why he's held up as some sort of fantasy replacement for that position so often.

I do like Cancelo but no way we would get him now! I thought he looked pretty good for city towards the end of the season

I really, really doubt we could replace doc adequately with £15m. I know it's maybe good money for his age, but surely to fuck we'd be better off keeping him and playing the new guy in for a season or so. I'd rather him leave for nothing in 2 years time than to try and fuck around finding a younger like-for-like for the same money and hoping he seriously hits the ground running. For a proven Premier League performer - amongst the best in the league barring TAA, it's fucking ridiculous money. That just can't be right. It's not as if he's 32 ffs!

Maybe it's not a straight £15m in, £15m out. A lot of the talk around AMN from the Arsenal side is that they can use that money to then pay Partey's release clause. Possibly the same thing here? Maybe the money goes towards helping fund a replacement. Not ideal given the issues we know we have with depth, but it's not that out there.

One thing I think we can guarantee is that we won't be letting players run down their contracts - it runs contrary to the whole ethos of Fosun as an investment company...just can't see it ever happening.

Take your point about his age but with few exceptions top end teams don't tend to have lots of 30+ players. There are exceptions, obviously, but we're not talking about Messi or Ronaldo here.

It's usually better to let a player go before they start to decline, or even come near it. Ferguson famously got shot of Kanchelskis, Ince, Robson et al a long time before people thought he should. His track record wasn't perfect, but he got a lot more right than wrong. -edit- maybe not Robson, memory's a bit hazy on that one.

Back