• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Not sure why so many are seemingly fascinated with Cancelo, what has he ever done to deserve such adulation? Or is it just an easy link to make with the Portuguese connection?

Looking at his stats he doesn't appear to have ever played a full season in his career, certainly hasn't consistently held down a place at his last two clubs even when competing with the much maligned Walker at City. I honestly don't think I've ever seen him do anything of note, really can't fathom why he's held up as some sort of fantasy replacement for that position so often.

Sub Ricardo Pereira in if you wish, or Buur, or Matheson - the identity of the player is not the crux of the point.

If Mendes is involves as suggested then maybe this could be the start of some dominoes falling - hopefully one or two our way.

Same thing happened with Ryan Bennett, look alright for us but awful for Leicester.

If your an old fucker like myself and can remember back to the Forest teams in the 80's under Clough there were numerous players who looked great for them but never did it when they went to bigger clubs (exception being Keane), he had them playing in a system which they all slotted into.
I get the impression that this will be the case with a lot of this side if they move on with a couple of exceptions Neves, & maybe Neto.

If your an old fucker like myself and can remember back to the Forest teams in the 80's under Clough there were numerous players who looked great for them but never did it when they went to bigger clubs (exception being Keane), he had them playing in a system which they all slotted into.
I get the impression that this will be the case with a lot of this side if they move on (exception being Neves).
Agreed. If he goes I'm not concerned about him making an opponent stronger, just us weaker. Can you imagine Mourinho's press conference the first time they concede when he lumbers back? Bet he miraculously gets ahead of Coleman in the Ireland team though

Sub Ricardo Pereira in if you wish, or Buur, or Matheson - the identity of the player is not the crux of the point.
It wasn't a direct response to your point in fairness just his name never seems to take long to crop up whenever the conversation around Doherty escalates.

It's hard to judge on how it'll work out thought as Doherty has been almost ever present since Nuno took charge, there just isn't a big enough sample size to see how anyone else does in that role. One thing you can see though is that his contribution has overshadowed that of his peers on the other side of the pitch since promotion, in terms of attacking output at least. Don't remember him being particularly involved in that respect in the promotion season and Douglas the much more prominent contributor with his assists, though think his set pieces may have contributed to much of the gulf there?

If it's purely down to managerial input then why isn't he getting the same output down the other side of the pitch?

Sounds like it’s as good as done which is pretty shit tbh. Unless we end up with a very good replacement this is seriously bad business. I guess it’s Fosun making a profit and selling at the height of his value but we could definitely get over 20m for him.

This all feels very similar to Baz leaving a couple of years ago.

It wasn't a direct response to your point in fairness just his name never seems to take long to crop up whenever the conversation around Doherty escalates.

It's hard to judge on how it'll work out thought as Doherty has been almost ever present since Nuno took charge, there just isn't a big enough sample size to see how anyone else does in that role. One thing you can see though is that his contribution has overshadowed that of his peers on the other side of the pitch since promotion, in terms of attacking output at least. Don't remember him being particularly involved in that respect in the promotion season and Douglas the much more prominent contributor with his assists, though think his set pieces may have contributed to much of the gulf there?

If it's purely down to managerial input then why isn't he getting the same output down the other side of the pitch?

Fair, thought as much but thought I should clarify.

Interesting point on the other side. I think we can agree Jonny is far more solid defensively than Doc is, maybe it's simply a play to your strengths mentality and we have adapted the system to suit what Doc is good at, and try to minimise his exposure defensively?

What concerns me most is Doc knew our system inside out. Unless Nuno is looking to play Adama there whoever comes in will need to adjust to our way of playing pretty fast. If it is Adama I hope they've magically fixed his shoulder somehow.

This makes 0 sense to me.

For a start I can't see how he works in Tottenham's system.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

That's the sticking point with me, plus needing a replacement a secondary concern.

From a Spurs point, I think they see him as a good fit for the way they have played since Mourinho took over, with Davies tucking in and Aurier playing further forward. I agree in that I don't think it would work but that is their thinking IMO. Him defending in a back four, in more space, wouldn't work at all.

Spurs fans on Twitter seem to think he’ll fit in just fine as a conventional WB, I agree the deal from our side of things makes little sense.

If Spurs do sign him it's of no concern to us if he fits their team/style or not. It's their problem.

From a Spurs point, I think they see him as a good fit for the way they have played since Mourinho took over, with Davies tucking in and Aurier playing further forward. I agree in that I don't think it would work but that is their thinking IMO. Him defending in a back four, in more space, wouldn't work at all.
Yes, that's the theory. They play a strange 3+1. Now I sign Aurier every year in PTG so I'm biased but he does have the legs to get back (and give penalties) that Doc doesn't

Talk on Spurs boards of them moving to a back 3, much like us. If that's the case Doherty makes more sense especially with his offensive capabilities. Mourinho has in the past played with offensive wing backs especially his first spell at Chelsea.

Watford midfielder Abdoulaye Doucouré has reportedly ‘rejected’ a move to Wolves, Fulham and Hertha Berlin.

It’s reported that the French man would prefer a move to Everton. [source: Téléfoot Chaine]
Well, it’s been a great day...

Talk on Spurs boards of them moving to a back 3, much like us. If that's the case Doherty makes more sense especially with his offensive capabilities. Mourinho has in the past played with offensive wing backs especially his first spell at Chelsea.

He didn't. He played a 4 Ferriera Terry Carvalho Babayaro/Bridge

Back