• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

200.gif

I don't recall addressing all my posts directly to the club in a forelock tugging way.

If it were the disaster that you and others paint it as then we'd have regressed, no? But we got more points and had a serious European campaign. So I don't think it was that bad, unless you labour under the impression that 100% of signings work out.

unless you labour under the impression that 100% of signings work out.

Clearly they don't, however because Nuno doesn't have squad fillers beyond kids then they need to have a really high strike rate.

Vallejo and Cutrone will have cost little in a direct financial sense, but squad wise them not working out cost us.

Cost us how though, I think that was our high watermark in all competitions all things considered.

Maybe if Doc could head the ball properly we might have had an FA Cup run, had we got the same draw that United did.

Talking Wolves
@TalkingWolves
·
10m
Wolves have reportedly lined up a move for Valencia full back Thierry Correia as they brace themselves for Tottenham to firm up interest in Matt Doherty.

Correia (21) is a right-back but can also play on the left to provide cover. (source: Telegraph)

Correia is a very, very easy link to make considering the fire sale Valencia are having. And he is a Mendes client, right?

Reading the Telegraph article it just repeats the stuff about Spurs being interested, that stinks of bullshit to me, personally

To DW
For the biggest game of the season our centre forward was blowing out of his arse as he'd been run into the ground. I don't think that made him miss a penalty, but he was a none factor in the game, as he was at Chelsea.

Moutinho was our best player the season before, but again totally knackered by the end of this, if Vallejo works out then Saiss or Donck could have taken more minutes off him. It was the Everton game before he didn't start in a 2 and always did in a 3

I appreciate that there's some whataboutery there, especially in the second paragraph, but if those signings work out then our best players are fresher at the end of the season

This Doherty thing isn't going away, or is it the same story being rehashed?

To DW
For the biggest game of the season our centre forward was blowing out of his arse as he'd been run into the ground. I don't think that made him miss a penalty, but he was a none factor in the game, as he was at Chelsea.

Moutinho was our best player the season before, but again totally knackered by the end of this, if Vallejo works out then Saiss or Donck could have taken more minutes off him. It was the Everton game before he didn't start in a 2 and always did in a 3

I appreciate that there's some whataboutery there, especially in the second paragraph, but if those signings work out then our best players are fresher at the end of the season

Aye, I get all that. I don't think we were ever winning at Chelsea or beating Sevilla though. We might have got lucky and pinched a point at Stamford Bridge and relied on Spurs cocking up, but who knows what their approach would have been, they were at 1-1 and knew we were going to lose, they didn't try to do anything. If they needed to win against a fairly abject team they probably would have done.

It's a weak excuse to me. We have more forwards than we know what to do with, Dendoncker can't always get a game, Vinagre has spent three years hardly ever starting, you don't want too many players. It's just not how we operate.

I am absolutely not having this "Saiss/Donck are makeshift centre halves" thing. They have always played loads of football there. For club and country. That's why we have them, they can do multiple roles, same as if we actually do buy AMN.

200.gif

I don't recall addressing all my posts directly to the club in a forelock tugging way.

Relax, I was just replying to your one comment...

I said Vallejo and Cutrone were disasters, not the season or all our transfers. And I think it's fair to question our targets and what we can see of our methods in the market since we've got promoted. I think Nuno has squeezed everything he can out of these players and he made some pointed comments after the EL campaign about strengthening the team too.

If we seriously want to fulfil Fosun's ambition then sooner or later we need to forget about Paul Gladon and Chorley and, like it or not, adopt some of the methods of the clubs we want to replace in the top six, or in Europe. Otherwise, we've peaked.

And regarding your whataboutery with Saiss, it's makeshift because it's clear that Bennett was the prime player to replace, that didn't work out with Vallejo so the next option was to move Boly across and put a utility player in. I couldn't care less about Morocco or how they play in this instance

Just to check, is he still makeshift now he's played more or less a full season there and done well? At what point does he stop being makeshift?

Why did Nuno even bother with Vallejo then and not just move Boly over in the first place?

Incidentally, it's this kind of skewing of the conversation that makes me dubious we'd ever hear serious October transfer criticism from you in the event of a dud window, despite your desire to move the discussion two months into the future

I am absolutely not having this "Saiss/Donck are makeshift centre halves" thing. They have always played loads of football there. For club and country. That's why we have them, they can do multiple roles, same as if we actually do buy AMN.

Neither are makeshift they are your classic utility players. Colin Lee would probably try them as a Number 9[emoji3]. That said I don't think we should aim for either or AMN to be in our first 11 if everyone is fit

Well, you'll have to stay tuned to see what I say in October, won't you. Something for you to look forward to.

If we genuinely think our players were knackered towards the end of last season after 3 months without competitive football and then a full week off training before Olimpiacos, then this small 2 week break isn’t going to fix it either. So we might not have the season we are all hoping next season, unless we sign 2-3 players to go straight into the XI

If we genuinely think our players were knackered towards the end of last season after 3 months without competitive football and then a full week off training before Olimpiacos, then this small 2 week break isn’t going to fix it either. So we might not have the season we are all hoping next season, unless we sign 2-3 players to go straight into the XI

That's my concern. The 3 months wasn't a standard break mentally, they were at home being monitored. For me looked mentally shot as much as physically, they needed some proper time away which they've not got and now 9 of them will be on International duty before the season even starts.

I expect a slow start and then gradual improvement as the season goes on.

A few options coming in would certainly help matters

Back