• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

This is a view on transfers in the athletic that I thought could be relevant

Agents contacted this week by The Athletic have reported similar stories across the Premier League and the EFL. Clubs around the country are holding out for better terms, conscious especially that sides overseas, with less lucrative broadcast contracts that English clubs enjoy, will feel pressure to bring in transfer money to help protect them against the financial uncertainty created by coronavirus.

The lack of spare cash and the desire to pinch pennies by clubs throughout England has created a “logjam” of transfer deals, according to one agent with links to players at Albion.

He has lost count of calls received from clubs claiming to want his clients but reporting they must offload players before they can press ahead with business. He is predicting another two or three weeks of slow movement before clubs begin to bite the bullet, with an increasing number of loans and unconventional swap deals on the agenda.

Surely anyone with half a brain could of predicted this.

Impending global financial crisis, a very short (even shorter for us) pre season, uncertainty regarding spectator income and any future issues caused by this casedemic.

Was always going to a be a slow transfer window in general in my opinion.

Can't see us (or many teams) bringing in anymore than 1 or 2 first team signings.

Doc to spurs being reported on sky now too.

What's being missed in the Ornstein tweet is that AMN actually wants to leave.

When that happens, the player normally goes. Clubs don't like keeping unhappy players who aren't in the team.

He played in Midfield though last night from what one Arsenal fan told me, so it could be he has been given reassurances about his position.

He played in Midfield though last night from what one Arsenal fan told me, so it could be he has been given reassurances about his position.

Played LWB apparently.

Very much a mix-and-match team, I wouldn't read anything into it. As I mentioned yesterday, just off the top of my head I can remember a few players we've played in a friendly then they've left within days. Freedman, Doumbia, Douglas, McDonald, there are probably loads of others too.

Doesn't necessarily mean he wont sign down the line but I knew as soon as he started yesterday he wasn't close to joining Wolves. You wouldn't risk an asset about to be sold for north of £20m in a friendly game, and plus why would you give someone else's player that run out? You'd just play one of your own players or kids.

Players going for a million or a couple of hundred thousand playing in a friendly before being sold is a different kettle of fish.

Fair. I'd still say its not that usual a thing to happen though. Ornstein is generally well connected around Arsenal anyway and he's said we've not even agreed a fee.

Traore dislocated his shoulder for the first time playing for Boro just before we signed him didn't he?

Was all over the press that we were in for him at the time too.

Correct about Adama.

I do trust Ornstein, I just think people have got the wrong end of the stick with this a bit. Football works in a slightly funny way now at the top level, you'll often get players agreeing personal terms and signing in principle before a deal is agreed between the clubs. Then sometimes it falls apart if the clubs don't sort it out.

Sancho has agreed terms with United and Havertz has agreed terms with Chelsea. But no fee sorted yet. Looking less likely on the first one too. De Gea to Real a few years ago, fell apart. But he was ready to go, he wasn't waiting to talk to them until the clubs had done their bit.

I think that AMN wants to play for Wolves, wants to leave Arsenal and most if not all things are sorted on that side. But clearly we haven't agreed what to pay for him. I wouldn't be paying over the odds for him, in fact I don't think we've got ripped off for anyone since Nuno came in. A few early Fosun signings (Oniangué, Gladon, Bödvarsson even though we somehow made a profit on him) clearly weren't great investments but everyone after that has been at least broadly value for money*.

I'm relaxed about it. If it happens, it happens.

*Edit: Rodders maybe. But he was only a couple of million, who cares now.

Fosun seem to be astute businessmen, they don't seem to have got their head around football not being a normal business, and occasionally you need to have various targets in mind if the one you want isn't interested in coming, as someone else said earlier, we seem to spend too long chasing one person, instead of say a weeks negotiations and then going elsewhere.
Do we have multiple people from fosun/wolves doing negotiations or is it just Jeff? If it's just Jeff doing everything no wonder we struggle

The AMN deal is one of two things or likely a bit of both.

Arsenal are probably trying to get a bit more for their player so have put some chat out in the media trying to a) get other teams interested b) scare wolves into thinking they are going to miss out so we up our offer.

Or

Wolves are genuinely lowballing try to squeeze out any bit of value they can. We do have history for this at the end of the day (not saying it’s the wrong decision).

After last summer though after sitting telling everyone to calm down and then signing a few duds it does make me less patient this year. But I’m still happy to wait and as I said I don’t know if AMN is someone who id be gutted if we didn’t sign. He may be a world beater but I’ve not seen enough to make that assessment.

Last edited:
Sky Sports are reporting that our initial bid was £15m, and Arsenal are holding out for £20m.

Sounds like we're taking the piss a bit.

Not really, we are just £5m apart in our valuations. If we want him, we will try to bridge that (and if AMN wants to join us, he'll push Arsenal to do the same)

I think we're nearer the mark than they are, tbf.

Anyway it's not us that's paying £350k a week to a bloke they can't even trust to be on a nine man bench. Looks like brinkmanship if this is the case.

Please let's not get into "JUST PAY THE MONEY" territory.

If, and it's a big if, we don't get in players that Nuno wants , where does that leave the subject of Nuno and him signing a new contract.

Back