• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2020 Transfer Window (Extended Version)

Just goes to show not even Sky Sports can be trusted. Until they're on the OS holding the shirt it's not done.

Not too fussed either way about AMN, said I wasn't sure about him when the links first came out. He would be a nice utility player to have in the squad and at around £20m it would have been a reasonable price but I wont be too bothered if it doesn't happen.

It's not so much about not landing AMN, it's more about us generally failing to land our targets.

We've seen this time and again over the last few windows- the club puts its energy into transfers which don't come off, and we don't end up signing an alternative. Locadia, Zinchenko, Abraham, Dias, Oliveira... it's a recurring pattern, by this point, and I worry it'll happen again.

It's not so much about not landing AMN, it's more about us generally failing to land our targets.

We've seen this time and again over the last few windows- the club puts its energy into transfers which don't come off, and we don't end up signing an alternative. Locadia, Zinchenko, Abraham, Dias, Oliveira... it's a recurring pattern, by this point, and I worry it'll happen again.

Much as I’m sure the term “pant wetter” will be thrown our way shortly, I have to agree. We spent the whole of the last window being told “don’t worry, there’s plenty of time” etc - and that window was a massive failure.

It’s all very well having a price in mind and playing hardball on a deal, and if it doesn’t come off, we walk away. But sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and pay what someone is after to get your target (within reason, obviously). I do agree that we have missed out on a number of targets - or at least it looks this way with the evidence on hand.

We probably missed out on Champions League football (almost certainly Europa League) because we had a lack of depth and genuine first team options in our squad last season. If we fail to make reinforcements again this window then you have to say that’s a massive failing on the part of Fosun.

That said, there’s still (just about) enough time left to add another 2-4 quality signings - and none of us really know what’s going on behind closed doors. So no “pant wetting” here - just an appreciation towards the failings of the previous window and the slightly worrying trend that this one looks to be following a similar pattern.

(Here’s your chance to officially announce Dias & AMN, Wolves, and make me look like a right idiot)

Much as I’m sure the term “pant wetter” will be thrown our way shortly, I have to agree. We spent the whole of the last window being told “don’t worry, there’s plenty of time” etc - and that window was a massive failure.

It’s all very well having a price in mind and playing hardball on a deal, and if it doesn’t come off, we walk away. But sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and pay what someone is after to get your target (within reason, obviously). I do agree that we have missed out on a number of targets - or at least it looks this way with the evidence on hand.

We probably missed out on Champions League football (almost certainly Europa League) because we had a lack of depth and genuine first team options in our squad last season. If we fail to make reinforcements again this window then you have to say that’s a massive failing on the part of Fosun.

That said, there’s still (just about) enough time left to add another 2-4 quality signings - and none of us really know what’s going on behind closed doors. So no “pant wetting” here - just an appreciation towards the failings of the previous window and the slightly worrying trend that this one looks to be following a similar pattern.

(Here’s your chance to officially announce Dias & AMN, Wolves, and make me look like a right idiot)
I don't blame the club for not over paying for primary targets. We do seem susceptible to the prick tease though either by the player or the selling club which results in there being no obvious Plan B.

Getting Podence in the last window was a positive for me - he's clearly a good footballer and given us very good depth in terms of attacking options.

The summer window yeah, that was the first relatively poor one since Nuno has arrived. We did well out of Neto, and if Cutrone had been patient it would have been Vallejo as the only real negative. You'd hope we have learnt some things from that one though. We will see.

If the attitude at the club is we won't pay over the odds for any player whilst thats being astute it'll will mean you miss out on a lot of targets, unfortunately the market regularly means you have to pay over the odds.
The squad as it stands will be still good enough for a mid to top half finish, with Johnny out the squad is weaker than the one we finished the PL campaign with.

The amn one is probably just a stage in the process, I’d imagine we’ll go back with another bid - can’t imagine there’s that many transfers where the first bid is accepted straight away.

The amn one is probably just a stage in the process, I’d imagine we’ll go back with another bid - can’t imagine there’s that many transfers where the first bid is accepted straight away.

Agreed, however it is odd that someone reputable like Ornstein would say that talks are advanced (which surely means a fee had been agreed) then row back and say the bid had been rejected.

He even said AMN is looking forward to working with Nuno.

It's just a bit odd.

Ornstein's definitely hedging, and the talk of alternative bids from Germany says to me that the deal was never as far along as he and Sky were making out. You listened to them on Monday, and it was all over bar the shouting.

Agreed, however it is odd that someone reputable like Ornstein would say that talks are advanced (which surely means a fee had been agreed) then row back and say the bid had been rejected.

In fairness, Ornstein's initial tweet said that the final fee still had to be hammered out. https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1297896640477528069

If the attitude at the club is we won't pay over the odds for any player whilst thats being astute it'll will mean you miss out on a lot of targets, unfortunately the market regularly means you have to pay over the odds.
The squad as it stands will be still good enough for a mid to top half finish, with Johnny out the squad is weaker than the one we finished the PL campaign with.

If people are "regularly" paying "over the odds", then that's not over the odds it's just the market, and if we are missing out because of it then it means our assessment of worth is well off and needs recalibrating.

We're very quick to shout out that "Adama won't go unless they offer £X" or whatever as soon as one of our players is linked to another club. Yesterday there were people scoffing at a potential £12m bid from Spurs for Doc - but as soon as a club does it to us we don't like it. Like I said in my previous comment, it's ok us having a value in mind but it isn't a buyers market - so if Arsenal want £25m for AMN, we either pay it or we miss out. I appreciate Fosun are an investment company and they will of course play hard ball in negotiations, but all the soundbites coming out of the club are that we "need to improve the squad", so sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay what the selling club want (again, WITHIN REASON!). Otherwise you end up with a squad of 13-14 senior first team footballers to play 50+ games in a season...

If people are "regularly" paying "over the odds", then that's not over the odds it's just the market, and if we are missing out because of it then it means our assessment of worth is well off and needs recalibrating.

Do you want some more hairs to split?

I think that's a fair and reasonable concern.

It's difficult to discern what information out there is totally accurate, and I'm sure none of us want Everton-style profligacy, but the most important thing is surely that Nuno gets as many of his top targets as possible.

I was hoping this summer we'd learn the lessons of last summer and have a decent window, especially with no loans becoming permanent, and also the Costa/Cavaleiro money. We're going into our third season and are as established in the PL as any third season team is likely to be, and the squad is obviously in need of investment to remain competitive in the top half and push for Europe.

Hope Jeff hasn't bitten off more than he can chew.

This is a view on transfers in the athletic that I thought could be relevant

Agents contacted this week by The Athletic have reported similar stories across the Premier League and the EFL. Clubs around the country are holding out for better terms, conscious especially that sides overseas, with less lucrative broadcast contracts that English clubs enjoy, will feel pressure to bring in transfer money to help protect them against the financial uncertainty created by coronavirus.

The lack of spare cash and the desire to pinch pennies by clubs throughout England has created a “logjam” of transfer deals, according to one agent with links to players at Albion.

He has lost count of calls received from clubs claiming to want his clients but reporting they must offload players before they can press ahead with business. He is predicting another two or three weeks of slow movement before clubs begin to bite the bullet, with an increasing number of loans and unconventional swap deals on the agenda.

What's being missed in the Ornstein tweet is that AMN actually wants to leave.

When that happens, the player normally goes. Clubs don't like keeping unhappy players who aren't in the team.

Back