• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Hopefully this is true, lemina is ok but we should be aiming higher- if we cant get great players then atleast young players with potential

It’s started... my timeline is currently full of comments like this -

3 months and theyve signed a striker, a defender on loan and a bunch of kids they're pretending are any good. Shambles

However - Victor Wanyama, anyone?

Tottenham Hotspurs midfielder, Victor Wanyama is set to join Wolverhampton Wanderers from Tottenham Hotspurs as the transfer window nears closure.

https://tv47.co.ke/2019/08/07/victor-wanyamas-likely-destination-from-tottenham-hotspurs-revealed/

That link has a direct quote from Nuno, which is clearly a load of bollocks - so God knows :icon_lol:

“Victor Wanyama possesses a lot of power and his signing will bring out the best in the likes of Ruben Neves and Joao Moutinho,” said Santo.

I like Wanyama but I really don't think we need an out and out defensive midfield player. If we sign a midfielder they need to be attack minded and provide creativity and goals from the middle.

Wolves have reportedly had a €25m bid for defender Diego Llorente rejected.

His club Real Sociedad value him at around €40m. [Mundo Deportivo via Sport Witness]
They’re coming thick & fast this morning.

I really hope Lemina signs today and its proof Wolves are mugging off Timbo.

Cutrone is the deal of the window but nope it’s moan moan moan

He looks a good poacher and he's young, but I think he's in danger of being over-hyped a little??

You always get some immature/unrealistic/greedy fan perspectives during transfer windows, but some are simply saying it's been an unremarkable summer in terms of acquisitions. I don't think that's a particularly unfair assessment.

It’s definitely been unremarkable if you took Jeff Shi’s comments at face value. Which a lot of people did.

The Nuno is threatening the board with new signings is the new Loch Ness...

The naivety of the club in the market has been shown up again this summer, and it's getting to be a recurring thing.

Every window we've been scrabbling round in the final days to get something over the line, and every summer we've tripped up and not got the cover we were clearly trying for. We shouldn't neglect the coups we have carried out over the last few years, but this is a clear and recurring problem by this point.

Apart from being our biggest ever summer spend

Yeah, but the majority of that is players who were already here.

No denigrating the importance of completing those transfers, of course, but that's tidying up our business from last year.

Nuno: "The reality is the market is still open. We never do it publicly (talk about transfers). Jesus and Cutrone will travel. It's a small squad but a competitive starting XI."

Hope we can get something over the line.

The naivety of the club in the market has been shown up again this summer, and it's getting to be a recurring thing.

Every window we've been scrabbling round in the final days to get something over the line, and every summer we've tripped up and not got the cover we were clearly trying for. We shouldn't neglect the coups we have carried out over the last few years, but this is a clear and recurring problem by this point.

Yeah, but the majority of that is players who were already here.

No denigrating the importance of completing those transfers, of course, but that's tidying up our business from last year.

There are probably 19 other sets of fans voicing these kind of points - Arsenal fans asking why they haven't got a CB, Tottenham fans wondering what they'll do if Eriksen goes, Man U fans also asking about a CB (and other positions), Leicester having to find a CB late on - it's not as easy as people think to do business, and the nature of a transfer window will cause players to keep their options open as late as they can.

How do we know we are "scrabbling" around...because Twitter says so?

The link to the Juve defender was bullshit and just our name being used. We have zero clue who were are after and just because @yourmumsucks69 says we bid for Bale doesan't make it true. Nuno has made it clear on his squad size and he has essentially kept it the last same as last season by swapping 2 attacking players for a defender and a forward. It seems he would like 1 more but I don't think he will mind if that doesn't come off. I see no evidence, outside of bullshit rumours, that we are scrabbling around.
We were a bit niave last season letting Zinchenko go to the wire and if the Lemina link is true, we appear to have ended that ourselves

Nuno survives on how he wants the squad, if he has called it wrong on th squad size for the coming season, he will lose his job. Another thing to take into consideration is the starting point of the quality of the squad, we have never had it so good. Yes it would be ace to get a Dias in, but for now we are not in a postion where we can wave our dicks and the players come running to us. Said earlier in the thread, it seems Nuno's goal this summer was to improve the main squad to give us something a little different and extra options. Cutrone certainly does that and Jesus looks like he might be the defender Nuno has wanted on the right who can play the ball out (previous attempt fell flat after 4 months in Miranda and the attempt to turn Saiss into a FT RCB also failed).

It was always gunna be difficult to bring in better players than we already have, the players we want will all be looking at potential CL teams, and our owners/coaching team do not want to spunk loads of money on squad fillers, seems sensible to me, its not just a case of chucking money about

and to add - If Jeff is unhappy with how the window has gone we will soon know as some high profile members of staff will be sent to spend time doing up their borders at home. The Laurie situation shows that Jeff runs the show and if you don't agree then bye bye.

I’m sick of seeing “ most of that spend was only on players already here” usually closely followed by “ look how ace Leicester were in getting Tielemans”. I fucking hate the window and the entitled, spoiled whinging fucking bullshit of it all.

Back