• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

He was tweeting about a big Wolves deal 2 days before the portugese press broke the Neves stuff.

89fa2902a1033de904c5c24034d684fa.jpg

Some HITC-esque site linking us to Arouna Koné as a "low risk, low cost" signing.

He hasn't looked after himself very well. Tubby at the back end of last season.

They'll want close to (or possibly more than) £10m for him, he doesn't even average 20 starts a season since he joined Forest. I can't see us taking that risk, someone else might.

That's it in a nutshell. Attractive name on paper but not enough starts and has started to put on weight. And missed more than a year with a knee injury... £2m plus Joe Mason maybe: £10m of cash, no thanks

On the subject of the signing of Neves, if or when it goes through.

I have been wondering whether it will be another signing where the club says fee undisclosed or whether they will say the amount he has been purchased for. If he is signed then and we break our transfer record and if it is a fee that breaks the figure paid for a player in the championship is it a good thing to go public with this or not?

Just wondering whether it is an advantage to make that statement, one advantage is that it makes a big statement and shows the status and intent of what the club is setting out to do and could have a positive impact in the world of players we are seeking to sign elsewhere, and help attract more into the "project". It also helps raise the profile etc.

However, should we go down the fee undisclosed route, as the club often does, help with the opaqueness of the FFP rules or nature of the dealings with agents. Though I understand that we would still have to have all the paperwork done properly to avoid punishment.

I am just wondering what people think about the importance of making a statement regarding our willingness to spend big and what benefits that might have or not to the club? I also know that even without publicly stating the fee his signing in itself would make a statement in itself, but any thoughts on what we feel the club/Fosun's strategy or take on this is?

We would say it's a record transfer without revealing the fee as we did with Doyle, Fletcher, Cav and Costa

Who cares about the transfer fee? As long as we get Neves in the middle of the park I couldn't give a fuck how much he cost. Mind you, if it carries on winding up those Twatterers then yeah, let them know how much we spunked on him.

I LOVE van der Vaart, what a player. But yeah he could barely run a few years ago at Spurs let alone now. Still,
More quality in his little finger than half the Championsgip put together

For me Assombalonga is in the same position as Dicko. Had a year out with a bad knee injury. Hasn't looked the same player since returning.
Given we already have 1 striker in this position, why would we want to over pay for another in exactly the same position.
I too was at the forest game, and for me Britt looked done. I wouldn't bother and instead would prefer to get Dicko firing again.

Yesterday evening at bowls I met another wolves fan who wouldn't want afobe back. I think we're the only 2 in existence though :)

I wouldn't want Afobe back either. There's a reason he could be made available. Could it be that he can't successfully play as a lone striker? I don't think we'll be playing two up-front much next year.

He looks good enough for us here

According to Spiers Fosun want to continue to place a big emphasis on academy youngsters like Ronan and MGW. Mendes got to be to blame for this because he wants to sell them once good enough to Benfica, Valencia or Zenit etc.....

I LOVE van der Vaart, what a player. But yeah he could barely run a few years ago at Spurs let alone now. Still,
More quality in his little finger than half the Championsgip put together
A number 10? Could be over the hill though..

Back