• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Pity about Silvio - even if we were not going to be able to rely on him all season as a back up he would have been superb - would still have needed a usual starter, but as Deutsch said we need 2 now

Pity about Silvio - even if we were not going to be able to rely on him all season as a back up he would have been superb - would still have needed a usual starter, but as Deutsch said we need 2 now
That's the point really about him. If we'd kept him we'd still need to sign a starting left back. If he'd stayed fit whoever wasn't picked would be pissed off not playing. It was too big a gamble. As long as we do actually bring that left back in.

Shame about Silvio. Looking forward to the unveiling of Kieron Gibbs and Danny Rose in the next few weeks...

I suppose in truth for a large portion of last season Doherty was a better left back than Silvio by virtue of being available.

I hope they've got a LB lined up, I'm pretty confident they will have

I don't think we'll sign two left backs....I'd be delighted with one.

Good as Silvio looked in 2 or 3 of his appearances he needs to be on the pitch. Probably the correct decision (until we see him reel of 100 appearances in a row for Forest or some such).

I suppose in truth for a large portion of last season Doherty was a better left back than Silvio by virtue of being available.

I hope they've got a LB lined up, I'm pretty confident they will have

Even Lambert had given up on Doherty at LB. There's clearly no room for him at RB any more (nor should there be). I genuinely think the nightmare is close to an end. Mind you I have said that about 15 times about Edwards over the last 7-8 years, so what do I know.

Good as Silvio looked in 2 or 3 of his appearances he needs to be on the pitch. Probably the correct decision (until we see him reel of 100 appearances in a row for Forest or some such).

It's guaranteed he'll go somewhere else and turn out not to be made of biscuits

It's guaranteed he'll go somewhere else and turn out not to be made of biscuits
That was always the case though. Williamson's none contract was based on similar thinking. They may both play 40 games next season, but there is enough evidence to suggest it's highly unlikely

Even Lambert had given up on Doherty at LB. There's clearly no room for him at RB any more (nor should there be). I genuinely think the nightmare is close to an end. Mind you I have said that about 15 times about Edwards over the last 7-8 years, so what do I know.

The Edwards issue is of a greater order of magnitude though as he has developed a Welsh version of the Vulcan mind meld which allows him to overcome any manager's negative thoughts.

We will see whether Nuno has an answer to this

I think Willo is done anyway. Silvio did actually look good when he made it onto the pitch, Willo looked like someone they'd roped in for a charity game. The mind was still there but the body was sorely lacking.

He might do well in L1 like Ricketts did for us.

The Edwards issue is of a greater order of magnitude though as he has developed a Welsh version of the Vulcan mind meld which allows him to overcome any manager's negative thoughts.

We will see whether Nuno has an answer to this

Perhaps Star Trek doesn't get played in Portugal

Apparently we're looking at 16-year-old Terry Taylor from Aberdeen. Supposed to be a bright prospect.

I really liked him, but I think the logic is he only averages 4 or 5 injury free games per season.

After he managed a massive three games last season? Really? You'll find your question answered in previous posts anyway.

Brilliant. The best full back at the club is released. There may some logic in it?

Yes, he was made of biscuits. As good as he is if you cannot guarantee his fitness* then it is a wasted squad place. We took a gamble last season and 5 games later it didn't pay off so it was always unlikely that we would take the same gamble again.

*I know you can't guarantee fitness with any player but one with a long record of it injuries makes it a bit easier.

The converse would have been "Why are we keeping a player who only played 3 games last season, waste of money, squad place and blocking our youngsters"

The "bomb squad" contains:

Evans
Price
EEL
Bod
Lonners

Plus some others

Jackett is trying to sign Price and Henry (free agent anyway)

It's going to be a busy summer

Back