• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Some of the stick he got was unfair. He certainly wasn't as bad as some made out. The problem is that three years on from signing him, who knows what he actually contributes in midfield - he can't really tackle (he tries, but doesn't have any timing and constantly gets booked), that goalscoring run at the end of 2015/16 looks to be a bit of an aberration, no real range of passing, not great physically so can't dominate in there or get up and down the park...so what is he supposed to be doing?

Still, he was our second best left back of 2016/17, so thanks for that.

He might be one of those players that needs a run in the team to find his "place". There's a good player in there somewhere but for us he always seemed a bit nothing

Who was our best left back? Surely not!?

T42M6GEPFVFKTGRMEBP4BI5FYQ

The dreamboat, not the tugboat.

Does anyone else think Marshall could play the holding role in front of the back four?

Like a more mobile KMac?

Marshall is a 442 winger. Shame most don't play that now.

Though at one point last season I suggested Doherty could perhaps do a job at CM so you know, I'm not gunna knock you :D!

Marshall is a 442 winger. Shame most don't play that now.

Though at one point last season I suggested Doherty could perhaps do a job at CM so you know, I'm not gunna knock you :D!

I've always thought positions are fluid anyway. If you have the right skills/attributes you should be able to play wherever those skills suit. That's not to say good players should be able to play anywhere. I.e. Weimann should have been a good wide player but was better in the middle. Without wanting to derail too much Walcott is in the same mould, has all the attributes to be a winger but is arguably better through the middle

If Dave leaves, who's going to give canned excuses to the press? "We were just a bit unlucky", "we can kick on from here", "it's time we band together", etc etc.

If Dave leaves, who's going to give canned excuses to the press? "We were just a bit unlucky", "we can kick on from here", "it's time we band together", etc etc.

Looks like Burnley are signing Charlie Taylor so we could re-sign Wardy to do that job.

He'd also be better at left back than....anyone we've had since he left.

I didn't mind Golbourne at all but he did have some rocky moments at this level (still shouldn't have sold him without a replacement, mind, and sticking Tommy Rowe there because he was "better in the air" was a classic example of Ken momentarily losing the plot) and he hasn't done very well for Bristol City.

Silvio...well, I like him. A lot. And not just for his matinée idol looks. But he has only played three league games there for us, so it's a bit early to place him that high up the list.

Whereas since he left us, Wardy has played nearly every game for Brighton and made the playoffs, then won this league with Burnley and subsequently been a mainstay as they stayed up comfortably in the PL. Proper first choice for Ireland now too. You can't knock that record, he's made the absolute most out of his natural ability. It was time for him to go (less for footballing reasons than making a clean break from that era) but he's a good player.

Not that I would seriously look at re-signing him, he's nearly 32 now. It isn't that hard to find good full backs, we just make it look like it is.

Timbo is back and pontificating:

Tim Spiers‏
Verified account
@tim_spiers_Star 29m
29 minutes ago

More
So Wallace and Saville the first players to be sold this summer. Ebanks-Landell, Price, Lonergan and Gladon should all follow. And more.

I didn't mind Golbourne at all but he did have some rocky moments at this level (still shouldn't have sold him without a replacement, mind, and sticking Tommy Rowe there because he was "better in the air" was a classic example of Ken momentarily losing the plot) and he hasn't done very well for Bristol City.

Silvio...well, I like him. A lot. And not just for his matinée idol looks. But he has only played three league games there for us, so it's a bit early to place him that high up the list.

Whereas since he left us, Wardy has played nearly every game for Brighton and made the playoffs, then won this league with Burnley and subsequently been a mainstay as they stayed up comfortably in the PL. Proper first choice for Ireland now too. You can't knock that record, he's made the absolute most out of his natural ability. It was time for him to go (less for footballing reasons than making a clean break from that era) but he's a good player.

Not that I would seriously look at re-signing him, he's nearly 32 now. It isn't that hard to find good full backs, we just make it look like it is.

Ward has received better coaching since he left us, and thus has improved. Surely had we had better coaches at the time, he could have been a good asset.

Can't believe anyone could ask Deutsch that question with a straight face :)

Decent enough start to the week - still a bit to go (in & out). New 1st choice keeper, LB (though I would take up the extra year on Silvio as long as we think he is going to play more than the 3 games he did last year), 1 CM (want to see Ronan given a real chance as consider that he has the skills to do really well) & a CF who will actually score.

Few more will go out as well - Sheff Utd still keen on EEL & not sure that both Bod & Dicko will be retained - as non scoring forwards you can carry one, but not two. Edwards will still be here, but as long as he is only used on appropriate occasions then I can accept that.

Timbo is back and pontificating:

Tim Spiers‏
Verified account
@tim_spiers_Star 29m
29 minutes ago

More
So Wallace and Saville the first players to be sold this summer. Ebanks-Landell, Price, Lonergan and Gladon should all follow. And more.

He's a fucking parody of himself today.

I think he's spent his entire holiday in a dark room watching replays of Ken's 4 0-0 home draws with a tub of ice cream, a box of tissues and Nothing Compares to You on repeat.

Ward has received better coaching since he left us, and thus has improved. Surely had we had better coaches at the time, he could have been a good asset.

He was a good asset. Just some fans decided they didn't like him so that was that with him. Also don't forget he went from being a forward to a left back whilst with us so was learning the position as he went along, so the coaching he got at the early stage was was fine or else no other club would have looked at him for their left back slot. Also able to switch back as he did on a few occasions, which included getting the winner at Anfield.

He was a good asset. Just some fans decided they didn't like him so that was that with him. Also don't forget he went from being a forward to a left back whilst with us so was learning the position as he went along, so the coaching he got at the early stage was was fine or else no other club would have looked at him for their left back slot. Also able to switch back as he did on a few occasions, which included getting the winner at Anfield.

Of the players who went during that cull he was the one I would have been happiest to keep. Clearly has made the best of his limited ability & overcome some of his failings, not always a given whatever coaching is received (MD it is possible to run back towards your goal as fast as you have run forward in a failed attack :nod:)

Playing full back within the Premier league is a little different to what it used to be, with a little imagination required when on the ball. Taylor can see a pass, Ward sadly is limited in that respect.

Back