• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Good. Frees up #8 as well. I'm old fashioned, like the first XI to have nos. 1-11

If Gladon, Wallace & Saville are all confirmed as offski today, that would be a great days work!

Bye Jed.

Looked useful away at Blues under Zenga and for about half an hour away at Burnley, completely useless every other time I saw him play.

Bye Jed.

Looked useful away at Blues under Zenga and for about half an hour away at Burnley, completely useless every other time I saw him play.

Good at home to Sheff Wed on the final day of 2015/16 too (though he went off at HT). But otherwise didn't show anything to suggest he was up to this level. You had it right when you said that Ken described him as three entirely different players over the course of a year, I'm not sure we ever scouted him properly. Just saw a young player who'd scored a load of goals at a lower level and took a bit of a punt on it.

Good at home to Sheff Wed on the final day of 2015/16 too (though he went off at HT). But otherwise didn't show anything to suggest he was up to this level. You had it right when you said that Ken described him as three entirely different players over the course of a year, I'm not sure we ever scouted him properly. Just saw a young player who'd scored a load of goals at a lower level and took a bit of a punt on it.

He did the same with Mason. Just bizarre really.

Does anyone else think Marshall could play the holding role in front of the back four?

Like a more mobile KMac?

Not for me, he's good creatively in the final third but that's a very different skillset to giving us an outlet from deep. Plus even if you are more of a passer than a destroyer in that role, you still have to do all your defensive bits. K-Mac did do it when he could be arsed, one of the factors in him turning to shit was that he just let people run off him all the time (because effort is something that other people put in). Marshall just wouldn't be attuned to it at all.

It's like the old "play Naylor on the left wing because he's good at attacking but can't defend" argument, which has doubtless been used with tons of crappy full backs up and down the land and it pretty much never happens because the requirements are entirely different if you're shifted 30-40 yards further up the pitch and it's all on you to create from that side of the pitch. Marshall being able to pass the ball doesn't mean he can play in front of the back four.

Marshall has actually played RB so it might not be completely alien to him.

Conor Coady's played right back but it's alien to him.

Marshall has actually played RB so it might not be completely alien to him.

I couldn't understand the calls to play him at RB from Wolves fans. He was pretty bang average there for Blackburn and kudos to Lambert for never playing him there even if he did mess him around a lot.

He's a decent Championship player in the attacking midfield or wing slots and should never be played out of that position. Square pegs etc.etc.

I couldn't understand the calls to play him at RB from Wolves fans. He was pretty bang average there for Blackburn and kudos to Lambert for never playing him there even if he did mess him around a lot.

He's a decent Championship player in the attacking midfield or wing slots and should never be played out of that position. Square pegs etc.etc.

No idea what he's like at RB, can't say I've ever paid attention to anyone who's played for Blackburn since Shearer left.

To me its worth considering as Marshall is not going to get in the team next season in any of the attacking slots, he'll be lucky to be third choice.

He played there against Wigan, this was in his stage of having the same waistline as Joey Fatone out of N*Sync and he didn't look like a serious option there, even with them offering very little attacking threat.

Even now he's fit, I don't think he'd have the engine to get up and down properly, I think you can take the signing of Ofosu-Ayeh as a sign that we want our full backs to be in the same mold as Walker/Rose rather than what we've had for the majority of this calendar year. Which of course is bad news for the wankpuffin on the other side who thinks waddling back at 2mph is acceptable.

We can and will sign proper options in midfield rather than converting a winger to play there.

I wasn't suggesting that he be a destroyer because he clearly isn't but he does have footballing intelligence which I think is crucial for that role. I think knowing where to be is more important than being destructive. He is very good at passing both long and short and played with someone like Saiss could give us an extra dimension

I wasn't suggesting that he be a destroyer because he clearly isn't but he does have footballing intelligence which I think is crucial for that role. I think knowing where to be is more important than being destructive. He is very good at passing both long and short and played with someone like Saiss could give us an extra dimension

Just can't see it Andy and I thought his passing was far more incisive going forwards from wider areas, he was fairly average when he came central so to play him deeper would be a mistake IMO.

There are far better options out there we could get in to do that job. It looks like this is going to be a cull from Wolves so I wouldn't be surprised to see Marshall leave.

Some of the stick he got was unfair. He certainly wasn't as bad as some made out. The problem is that three years on from signing him, who knows what he actually contributes in midfield - he can't really tackle (he tries, but doesn't have any timing and constantly gets booked), that goalscoring run at the end of 2015/16 looks to be a bit of an aberration, no real range of passing, not great physically so can't dominate in there or get up and down the park...so what is he supposed to be doing?

Still, he was our second best left back of 2016/17, so thanks for that.

Back