• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Isn't it the case that Lambert likes to play with a 'battering ram' type of centre forward? Benteke etc.

Lambert will want a target man type or at least someone with some strength and heading ability. I don't for a second think we are in for Hugill plus he's had a serious knee injury and we have enough recovering from that type of thing.

I would be surprised if we don't go back in for Martin, IMO Hugill is nowhere near good enough for us.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Derby aren't looking to sell Martin. He wants to go back, they gave him a new deal before Christmas, they tried to terminate the loan but it wasn't possible. He'll be back to being their #1 striker next season.

Derby aren't looking to sell Martin. He wants to go back, they gave him a new deal before Christmas, they tried to terminate the loan but it wasn't possible. He'll be back to being their #1 striker next season.
That is a massive shame I would have loved him to come to Wolves. Can't blame Rowett for wanting him back.

Either way I hope the Hugill rumour is nonsense really need better than that.

Steele, Hanley and Hugill would all be rubbish signings. However I'm not going to get bent out of shape about fairly baseless rumours at this stage, we'll get linked to hundreds of players over the summer, a large proportion of those stories will simply be made up to fill space. Anyone can link Player X to Club Y.

On that note we should terrify every other set of fans in the division by telling them we've heard they're bidding for Whoscored.com Team of the Year nominee and megastar Matt Doherty.

Lambert did utilise a front pairing of Morison and Holt to get promoted (and again in the Premier League) so he's clearly got former for that sort of forward.

Edit - Morison moved to them once promoted and somehow managed to hit double figures.

Depends, doesn't it. He knows how to use a big front man - which would be a bit of a novelty, as Ken didn't have a clue whenever he tried signing one - but if Dwight Gayle or Tammy Abraham are passed under his nose I doubt he'd say "nope, not tall enough".

I think Dicko will stay, Weimann will join, Zyro will be used as a striker more than a wide option then we have Wilson and Ennis. Bod/Mason are strong candidates for the exit door. Can see us bringing in two forwards to add to that.

Abraham is 6'4 so should certainly be tall enough! He'll end up with a Premier League in any case I imagine.

Bod is unlikely to want to stick around if he's going to be on the fringes of our squad considering Iceland have a reasonable looking shot at qualifying for the World Cup.

Abraham is 6'4 so should certainly be tall enough! He'll end up with a Premier League in any case I imagine.

Bod is unlikely to want to stick around if he's going to be on the fringes of our squad considering Iceland have a reasonable looking shot at qualifying for the World Cup.

I'm reluctant to write either Bod or Dicko off because we've seen the potential in both of them. But their goalscoring record is atrocious - I wouldn't complain too much if Bod was made available for transfer to make room for another striker. We need to stop the sentimentality that's held us back for a good few years and be ruthless with the current squad.

I didn't know he was that tall! Maybe it's the weird camera angle at Ashton Gate which makes him look shorter...agree he'll find a PL loan. Just making the point that Lambert won't just want a target man.

Bod can go, nothing in his career suggests he's going to score enough for us. Thanks for the effort.

I think Ruddy, Steele or Bialkowski would be an improvement in goal TBH.

Not sure on Steele (improvement on Lonergan obviously but maybe not Ikeme). Ruddy or Bialkowski would be good signings.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want a mere "improvement", I want a serious keeper, preferably one we can keep as number one for years. Look after that position properly and you simply don't have to worry about it.

Bialkowski and Ruddy are perfectly acceptable keepers and better than Ikeme but they still fall into the bog standard bracket for me. You'd be swapping out someone who's probably the 16th or 17th best keeper in the division for one who's somewhere around 10th or 11th. It's not enough. Go out and get the very best we can, it's not impossible to do. I think Doherty is shit (I've hidden this stance well), I wouldn't advocate swapping him for a bang average left back like say, Scott Malone. It'd be better than that clown playing every week but still not what we need.

Steele is better than Lonergan but then so is my budgie. She knocked her seed bell off the cage the other day and it went further than one of Lonners' goal kicks.

Steele is better than Lonergan but then so is my budgie. She knocked her seed bell off the cage the other day and it went further than one of Lonners' goal kicks.

:icon_lol:

If the Budgie didn't hit a steward on the head with the seed bell then you might as well release it into the wild..

Dicko may come good again there was the odd flash of the old Dicko towards the end of the season so I think he stays. Bod has shown he's a willing worker but can't hit a barn door so I don't really see him as anything more than a fringe player.

Mason would be competing for no 10 but with Cav, Bright and Dave ahead of him no point in keeping him Ipswich are apparently interested.

As for a GK ikeme isn't great I think we all agree on that but we should never have anyone as poor as Lonners in goal again I am certain we would have a few more points if Ikeme had stayed fit. That said we are talking about a promotion push we need better, I would love Emi but I think he's out of our league now.

If we are in for Bialkowski perhaps straight swap for Mason?? We won't get anywhere near 3 million for him.

I don't think we'll actively look to let Bodvarsson go. He and Dicko at one stage looked in bad need of a break and a pre season. Nouha recovered better but Bod has had two years non stop. He's one of many who I wouldn't be overly bothered if we did sell but I'm willing to give him a chance personally with another new forward coming in. Weird to think in his first month he scored two brilliant strikes then never really looked like scoring again.

I agree with Dan that we should be looking to upgrade on a keeper. At this level it makes such a difference, just look at us when we had Murray, massively overachiever. Reading have been similar with Al-Hahso, Ward at Huddersfield. we should have gone for Dan bentley last summer

Back