• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I really don't want us looking at the squads of teams relegated to league 1. They went down for a reason.
We had Sako when we went down it wasn't his fault we were relegated. If there are players of that quality im all for it.

That said I'm hopeful of another Mendes signing, another of Costa's quality would be just the ticket.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I reckon we should do the same as last summer and sign Monaco's wingers.

Roderick Miranda is the one I'm predicting.

We had Sako when we went down it wasn't his fault we were relegated. If there are players of that quality im all for it.

That said I'm hopeful of another Mendes signing, another of Costa's quality would be just the ticket.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

That's the point. There is literally nobody in any of those three squads that we should even be considering.

I expect a release list very quickly this week, probably within two days, and some very early movement in the market to start sorting our shit squad out.

That's the point. There is literally nobody in any of those three squads that we should even be considering.

I expect a release list very quickly this week, probably within two days, and some very early movement in the market to start sorting our shit squad out.

The releases were announced on the Monday last season - making a mockery of Ken's decision to bring Le Fondre on against Sheff Wed on the final day when he knew he was getting rid of him 24 hours later and we had kids on the bench - so they could well be done today.

I'd possibly have a look at Sam Gallagher but he isn't Blackburn's player anyway. Wigan are awful throughout (how we donated them six points this season I do not know) and as Lincs said we shouldn't be going anywhere near Rotherham's squad.

Would expect the list after the end of season event (which is tomorrow?)

Next 48 - 72 hours will be spent telling players and giving them their off season fitness plan if they are staying

Taylor is quality but there will be PL interest, I can't see us getting him. Would be ideal though.

I suppose the contract situation might be slightly complicated by the U23s still being active. Shouldn't really matter, I'm sure the likes of Deslandes will already know either way if they're staying or not (none of the U23 players who are out of contract should be retained IMO), doesn't make any difference whether it's public or not. He'll be playing for a deal if selected regardless.

I'd love Taylor here but yeah, he's PL bound.

He'll also come with a hefty compensation figure.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruddy announced in the next week.

Just been looking through the relegated sides and, assuming we're even considering trying to poach someone on the cheap, Sam Morsy from Wigan is the only name that stands out. Has looked good on the few occasions I've seen him (Wigan weirdly get on TV here somewhat often since winning the FA Cup).

Sam Morsy was released by Wolves at 16 years old, has done well to build a career for himself since that early rejection.

There is a very highly thought of young winger at Blackburn name Connor Mahoney who can play either flank and would be well known to Paul Lambert. Out of contract this summer and has Premier league scouts watching his progress.

There are a lot of players on the periphery of Premier League squads, that really should be looking to move somewhere for regular football if they have any motivation to play weekly. I would be looking at any of the names below (which I'm just brainstorming without much thought) over relegated Championship fodder. At the end of the day, money "is not an issue" according to Jeff.

Damien Delaney - no longer first choice at the back for Palace. Experienced pro, much better than Mike Williamson, a leader. He can bring his mate Sako back with him too.

Luke Garbutt - neat and tidy left back. Young with lots of potential. Not getting a look in at Everton - surely available for the right price?

Ben Chilwell/James Husband - same as Garbutt.

Reece Oxford - worth a cheeky bid? Can play DM or at the back.

Bartosz Kapustka - hasn't kicked a ball for Leicester in the league. Top talent, not sure how he hasn't featured. May prefer a move abroad or to fight for a starting shirt at Leicester next year.

Jordon Ibe - hardly got a kick at Bournemouth. They may not sell him (having only paid £15 million for him in July) but a possible loan?

Harrison Reed - not being used at Southampton. Step up in quality to our current CM's.

Lewis Grabban - not being used at Bournemouth.

Ademola Lookman - started well at Everton but faded. They might look to loan him out?

Leo Ulloa - not everyone's cup of tea, but he would work hard, be a target man and score goals in this division. Not getting a look in at Leicester and wouldn't cost the earth.

Danny Ings - missed the majority of this season. Highly doubt he will be getting anywhere near Liverpool's starting 11. Why not?

Shane Long - unlikely to drop a division, but doesn't appear to have a long term future at Southampton. Would score for fun in the Championship.

Jon Walters - Similar to Ulloa, he won't be everyone's cup of tea, but he'd be brilliant at this level and wears his heart on his sleeve.

I'd like Husband or Reed off that list, Garbutt, Grabban and Ulloa are shit (Garbutt has failed at this level for two seasons in a row), Delaney has had it and the rest either wouldn't be available or wouldn't come.

I'd like Husband or Reed off that list, Garbutt, Grabban and Ulloa are shit (Garbutt has failed at this level for two seasons in a row), Delaney has had it and the rest either wouldn't be available or wouldn't come.

As I say, I was chucking names down without really giving them much thought, but I would suggest all of the players I mentioned would improve us. Not too sure Delaney has "had it" either - he's featured in nearly 30 Premier League games this season! :icon_lol:

Ulloa would do a job in the Championship and would offer us something different. I'd prefer Walters, though. He may not be a glamorous name on paper, but he'd run through brick walls for you.

I'd definitely have Walters here, big character and would have a big impact. Won't come though.

I've hoped on and off that we could get Crouch for a year but he's featured quite a lot for Stoke since Christmas so that's off the agenda too.

Frazier Campbell would be a decent target if he weren't made of sticklebricks. I wonder if Newcastle will look to shift Dwight Gayle on for a quick profit, he's done the job for them and if they're ruthless they'd look to upgrade.

Back