• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I trust those reports more than yours, so you'll have to forgive me letting this roll off my back.

What reports have you read which provide contrary information to what Johnny has said?

As for the "we need to keep Dicko for a different way of playing". It's totally rubbish. All he's giving us at the moment is pace, and I'm not even sure he's got massive amounts of that (40 yard race between him and Gibson against Boro and he came off second best).

Costa is quicker, better dribbler, better touch. We could use him upfront if we simply want to "stretch defences".

As for the "we need to keep Dicko for a different way of playing". It's totally rubbish. All he's giving us at the moment is pace, and I'm not even sure he's got massive amounts of that (40 yard race between him and Gibson against Boro and he came off second best).

Costa is quicker, better dribbler, better touch. We could use him upfront if we simply want to "stretch defences".

I agree with this particularly about Dicko. His touch is awful at the minute and his so called pace isn't really there either. I came to post on here to give the same example you have with Gibson. It was a straight race, both were level with each other from what i can remember and Dicko lost out by over a yard. So when his touch is dreadful and he's not as quick as he was then he's very nearly become useless for us.

Probably nothing to this, right?

https://twitter.com/Gabbidon35/status/897130947279237120

By all accounts he's having his medical at Derby. I'd definitely take him, he'd be a really solid upgrade on Zyro and/or Edwards if one of them is leaving, and he can play across a front three so sort of fits the criteria we're looking for for another forward. But, yeah, must be bollocks right?

Signed for Derby now. £5m rising to £7m. So Mr Gaddidon got confused on this one

Only 2nd hand info but NES is by his own admission quite inflexible tactically. He knows how he wants to play and the players must adapt to that.

I very much doubt we'll play anything other than 3-4-2-1 under Nuno, unless we have some injury crisis which forces a change.

New system for Nuno and the players so its a continual work in progress as he tries various combinations during the season.

It's not a new system for NES.

Didn't use it at all last season tbf.

Or at Valencia.

And from what I can tell he used a 4-2-3-1 at Rio Ave.

Didn't use it at all last season tbf.

Or at Valencia.

And from what I can tell he used a 4-2-3-1 at Rio Ave.

Might not have had the players to play 3-4-2-1 at his previous clubs but that is 'his' formation.

He's more or less had the luxury of being able to sign whoever he wanted to fit his philosophy at Wolves so this might be the first time he's been able to put his ideas into practice.

No disrespect meant, but how can it be his formation if he's literally never used it before as a manager?

No disrespect meant, but how can it be his formation if he's literally never used it before as a manager?

I know someone who has attended lectures by Nuno on how to coach 3-4-2-1.

That's fair enough, I suppose, but I'm not sure how seriously I'd have taken him on the formation before this season.

Don't think I'd ever seen a front/back 3 combo until Conte gave it a crack at Chelsea last year. Perhaps Chile maybe? They seemed to rock some mental stuff with Medel as a sort of sweeper in recent tournaments. I can't have thought it would be a go-to formation for many managers.

Don't think I'd ever seen a front/back 3 combo until Conte gave it a crack at Chelsea last year. Perhaps Chile maybe? They seemed to rock some mental stuff with Medel as a sort of sweeper in recent tournaments. I can't have thought it would be a go-to formation for many managers.

It's a relatively new thing in modern football but it goes a long way back to the 80's and 90's Arsenal under George Graham. The modern way passes on the deck more and there is more onus on the full backs but the principal of inside forwards and a slower centre forward are still there.

abBF65habu.jpg

It will be the new fashion in the top flight now with the Chelsea success.

If we murder this division :whistle: then it will de rigeur for all bar the Championship dinosaurs very soon. Nice to be at the forefront.

Chile were a 3-3-1-3 under Bielsa, I think? Very attacking, no real wide players unlike the wing-backs in the 3-4-3.

We should resurrect 2-3-5...

Scarily we probably almost have the squad to so it, but it would be modern football suicide!

When Nuno played in Russia just over a decade ago he did play against a few sides who experimented with a back three at times. Though most of those sides were nominally 4-3-3.

Chile were a 3-3-1-3 under Bielsa, I think? Very attacking, no real wide players unlike the wing-backs in the 3-4-3.

It didn't usually end up playing that way in practice from what I remember. Beausejour (sp) and Isla had a lot of license to cut inside in possession but generally settled in a back 5 out of possession.

Been a while, though.

Back