• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Highly recommend Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid, btw - one of the best books on football I've read. Much more compelling than you'd expect a history of tactics to be. Starts in the 19th century with the 2-3-5 pyramid, ends with its inversion, the modern day "Christmas tree" 4-3-2-1, and explores where basically every formation you've ever heard of (and a fair few you won't have) came from.

Second this!

Could argue Pep in his latter stages at Bayern had a pretty effective 2-3-5!

I knew that damn pyramid book would come up...

Have you read it Alan, I'm sure I have an online copy of it somewhere!

No, I never did get around to it. I do mean to eventually!

New striker "soon", says Daz Hale on Twitter, "well before the end of the window".

Gallagher is another sticking plaster. We should be aiming for the same, significant improvement we have achieved in all other areas, and he isn't it.

Gallagher is another sticking plaster. We should be aiming for the same, significant improvement we have achieved in all other areas, and he isn't it.
I agree. Having watched his videos he's a better finisher than Leo but I didn't really see one bit of decent link or hold up play in any of them.

Same thoughts here. I don't see him as the answer to our problems at all. He'd probably get some goals for us, but I just don't see him fitting into the way we are playing now under Nuno.

I thought he was shit, disinterested and petulant when Blackburn came down here, scored a good goal at their place mind.

I thought he was shit, disinterested and petulant when Blackburn came down here, scored a good goal at their place mind.
I would have been disinterested up front for Blackburn that day. A game you really need to win and they set up to be more defensive and boring than Lambert did.

He was good in the game at Ewood though.

Will we know for sure Sam Gallagher is on his way somewhere if he's not in the Southampton side next week against us. ?

He's behind Gabbiadini, Austin, Long and arguably Redmond to play up top at the moment. Neither Austin nor Long started on Saturday (Long didn't even get off the bench). I don't think he's even League Cup fodder for them as it stands.

Back