• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but is Joel Campbell still any good? Back at Arsenal again after being on loan.

i was thinking the exact same thought yesterday actually, but i dont think he is the solution after all

It's an odd call, from a man who doesn't appear to make that many calls. I only went back a couple of weeks but he doesn't seem prone to making announcements other than attributed to skysports stories.

Rumours are that we've got Gallagher on loan

If that's the case - and it is all over Twitter after he was left out of the Saints U23's last night - then it is difficult to see where it leaves Dicko, other than holding a one way ticket to Burton

Alex Ferguson developed a cold hearted ability to dispense with anyone in his squad when he felt he'd seen the best of them and they would not be able to perform at the same level as before for another season. Invariably he was right. It looks and sounds cold hearted, but it seperates Champions from also rans.

Sometimes you have to let go and "say so long, and thanks for all the goals."

Dicko will know his time is coming to an end at Wolves. He will be here until January.

His game doesn't suit how we now play and his game time will be very limited. By the sounds of it though, his attitude has been spot on.

Last edited:
I'd want to keep him to be honest. Gallagher is similar to Bonatini in that he doesn't have much pace or likes to play off the shoulder and stretch defences. Dicko is the only one who can offer us something different in that regard.

But what is the point in offering it, if we're never going to set up to play that way?

Our attackers will always be able to produce balls in behind for him.

He won't want to sit around hoping for a few mins here and there. It's looking likely he will be 4th choice and he has already spent 12 months doing nothing due to injury. If by January he is still 4th choice he will ask to leave .

If Dicko plays, surely the onus is on the rest of the team to adapt to his strengths as much as he has to adapt his game- we can't expect to go through a whole season playing exactly the same way and hope nobody notices. Writing Dicko off seems a touch premature.

The ST role is also a crucial element of how we play, in terms of our build up. Dicko played okay last Tuesday but only really came alive when he scored his goal.

We need the ball to stick to the ST with their back to goal to bring the Wing backs and other forwards into play, we can't have it bouncing off Dicko like it seems to every time.

If Dicko plays, surely the onus is on the rest of the team to adapt to his strengths as much as he has to adapt his game- we can't expect to go through a whole season playing exactly the same way and hope nobody notices. Writing Dicko off seems a touch premature.

Seems a bit odd to change the way the team plays for one player and not even a player you can build your team around. Much easier to replace Dicko with a forward who fits the style of play.

Seems a bit odd to change the way the team plays for one player and not even a player you can build your team around. Much easier to replace Dicko with a forward who fits the style of play.

Seems a bit odd to play the same way for a whole season without having the ability (and the personnel) to adapt.

Seems a bit odd to play the same way for a whole season without having the ability (and the personnel) to adapt.
Exactly this. There'll be games where the opposition will be defending well and Bonatini/Gallagher isn't working. Maybe they'll be playing a high line to give our AMs less space. Dicko can come on and try and exploit that.

Exactly this. There'll be games where the opposition will be defending well and Bonatini/Gallagher isn't working. Maybe they'll be playing a high line to give our AMs less space. Dicko can come on and try and exploit that.

But will Dicko want to be that player though. I doubt it and come January if his time on the pitch is limited to late sub appearances he won't want to waste anymore of his career. We won't sell him this window and he will be used exactly as you and TSB say but come January we will have to replace him as he will want to move on and become a 1st choice striker again.

Back