• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Wilder has confirmed that Sheff Utd have bid for Coady. They're about three months late in doing that though, can't see how they have any chance now.

Before this season I would have been all for dumping him but now unless its a big fee they can do one. Maybe we have found his position now and he's a far better captain that our mate Danny. I say reject and keep.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Wilder has confirmed that Sheff Utd have bid for Coady. They're about three months late in doing that though, can't see how they have any chance now.
Wonder if we can offer them Batth instead?

Absolutely bizarre timing from them.

Wonder if we can offer them Batth instead?

I don't know if they've even twigged that Coady doesn't play in midfield any more.

They can have Bennett and Edwards, covers all bases.

We need someone who may not offer the last pass before a goal is scored but provides a presence and the link up play to make things happen, this is why I think he would be a good signing.

He doesn't do the link up play though - which is why he doesn't fit our style of play, and why nuno won't sign him unless we have no other options...

He doesn't do the link up play though - which is why he doesn't fit our style of play, and why nuno won't sign him unless we have no other options...
It depends on the system he is playing in and what is being asked of him. He is more than capable of the link up play we need.

Take Dicko for example last season if he was playing alongside a target man in a 4-4-2 he would have scored more goals I don't think too many would argue against that. Dicko now doesn't have the qualities we need as a central striker.

Take Edwards if he played all season in midfield for us he won't score the goals he did last season as he would have to play a more rigid position. An example of our new system not suiting existing players.

The characteristics are there for Oliviera for him to do that job, that is my opinion of course but blaming lack of assists as an argument is flawed in this case.

I would have loved Chris Martin, him with Jota and Costa either side would have been orgasmic but we now need to look at other options.

Honestly I don't think it will happen but if it does I will be delighted. And if it does I will happily pick up the debate after a few games.

Ok, last point from me too - last season for norwich 1 assist and the fans say he does no link up play. For forest the season before he got one assist. The season before that, one assist.

For context, nouah got 7 assists the season before his cruciate went as well as the 14 goals.

Chris Martin is an excellent link man. Oliveira does nothing more than score goals, he does no link play.

As you say - maybe we'll debate it once we're into the season, whether he moves or not...

One man eye-smiling from the stands..

All I keep hearing from Spurs fans is the Walker fee is above and beyond what they thought he was worth and they think they've got the best of it on that deal.

Sheffield United fans seem more excited at the prospect of signing Coady than we were about Neves.

They do realise he's an absolutely awful central midfielder? Fair play to him for potentially reinventing himself at centre half, but I'd be considering taking the money if they offer more than the £2m we bought him for.

Sheffield United fans seem more excited at the prospect of signing Coady than we were about Neves.

They do realise he's an absolutely awful central midfielder? Fair play to him for potentially reinventing himself at centre half, but I'd be considering taking the money if they offer more than the £2m we bought him for.

He was pretty good there on loan a few years back, so they will be remembering that rather than what he did for us in midfield.

I'd happily sell him at £1m+. He's done OK in the middle but does have a tendancy to get caught under it. Miranda/Boly/Hause is the way forward IMO

Doesn't make any sense to sell now. Sheff Utd aren't especially well off financially so they're not likely to have fired mad papes at us. Let's say it's £2m. Which means we have three weeks to sign someone who can play where Coady currently is, being as Hause is injured with no certain return date, Batth isn't as good at playing there (on pre-season/early games impressions) and Bennett is a fair way worse than Batth. We could end up with no-one. The money we're going to get for Coady is neither here nor there.

For now he obviously has a role to play so why would we sell when the season has already kicked off and he's actually playing - and doing pretty well? Doubt he really wants to leave Wolves for Sheff Utd either.

Del - what do we desperately need £1m for now?

I'd happily sell him at £1m+. He's done OK in the middle but does have a tendancy to get caught under it. Miranda/Boly/Hause is the way forward IMO

In today's market Coady is worth around £3m to a club that wants him. Would be surprised if we sell him but wouldn't be at all surprised - or upset - to see Dicko and/or Edwards leave before the end of the window.

Clearly we need to sell him for FFP before we can consider buying anyone else.

All the money has gone...

I'm not saying we need to sell him, and agree with Hause injured we'd need to replace him, but tbh my worry is that this is basically as good as he's ever going to look. A few fuck ups/poor performances and he'll go down as being a shit CM who we tried at CH when we were desperate, and he'll end up being one of those players that we loan out until the last year of his contract before basically giving away.

He's out of contract in the summer anyway. I'd rather have a centre half who currently gets in our best team than £1m that won't buy us anything. If he's outlived his purpose by then, well he can go on a free with everyone's thanks.

Back