• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Exactly. We won the last 3 championships and reached champions quarter finals thanks to a 33 year old who is still our best player today. Of course its exciting to have talented youngsters but an old fart up front or at your centre back can be as crucial if not more. Specially when your goal is a promotion.

Without wanting to be argumentative, it was because he was your best player not because he was 33.

I'd much rather get talented young players in. The last time we got promoted we had a "young and hungry" approach

Without wanting to be argumentative, it was because he was your best player not because he was 33.

I'd much rather get talented young players in. The last time we got promoted we had a "young and hungry" approach

Works both ways: being 33 didnt stop him of being our best player. And believe me that even at 34 you could not get more hungry that Lima.

Have missed a lot of fun today i see..SLB is spot on, our only objective is to get into the premier league and get some more money in and get an even better chance of getting quality players in..if we sign a 34 year "old" for a year to achieve it, i dont care..

We don't need "experience", we have enough of that in the squad with Ruddy, Coady, Batth, Edwards, Price and Dicko plus others.

We need good players. As I mentioned in my article last week, "Championship experience" is a fucking sham of a concept.

If a 34 year old good player get us promoted i don't see any problem

Fosun signed many of them so far?

Exactly. This is the point, we aren't signing players like that. Not shown any inclination to do so whatsoever.

No-one would complain if Zlatan miraculously healed himself (he is a type of God, after all) and decided to play for us. However there is no way we're going to chase some 34 year old striker who's spent the last two years in Dubai and hasn't played for six months. Rocket surgery it isn't.

200.gif

I think the point we're all trying to make us if the right player is available great, but their experience shouldn't count for more than their ability to play football

Obviously experience can make players better but that's factored into the "ability to play football"

We shouldn't sign players just because they have experience, we should sign them because they're good

We don't need "experience", we have enough of that in the squad with Ruddy, Coady, Batth, Edwards, Price and Dicko plus others.

We need good players. As I mentioned in my article last week, "Championship experience" is a fucking sham of a concept.
Spot on.

I dont care which player we sign short term if they get us to the PL

I dont care which player we sign short term if they get us to the PL

Well I do care. Because I don't want another 2003 situation where the entire team needs replacing once we get there, because they're all too old, not good enough or a combination of the two. Which is where Villa will be if they somehow get there.

Our philosophy at present is clearly to go down the road of loaning players so they're not our problem in a year's time should things not work out, or signing players with a massive book value so we can sell them and go again in a year's time.

The odd one or two veteran, fine. To say "it doesn't matter who they are if they get you up" is misguided and as much as I don't mind SLB generally, I do mind him lecturing us on what we need to get out of this wankshaft division. I think we know better than he does in that regard.

It wont need replacing because of one guy

I don't think he's lectured anyone, he gives his view same as anyone else.

I wouldn't mind some experience for what it's worth - we have a lot of youngsters in the side, and seem to be relying on Connor coady, who many thought should be bombed out at the end of the season, to be our inspirational, organisational, baresi esque libero at the back.

I'd be far happier with someone better, and If that someone was an experienced captain and organiser, so much the better.

An experienced captain and organiser where though? We already have six centre halves if Coady counts now.

Aye, and then that group got a little old and ate itself.

There are risks in both approaches.

I doubt coady is the answer - If we got someone superior, id be happy for him to move on, and Bennett or Batth too. We don't need six centre backs.

No, we don't. That's why we won't buy another one :)

This argument seems to be going round in circles, signing 1or 2 older players wouldn't be a problem providing they are good enough and help us get promoted, thats not gunna put us in a 2003 situation. Whether Nuno/Fosun want to sign older players is another matter, so far they've gone with youth, but I doubt they've ruled it out. Personally I've been happy with our signings so far and trust Nuno to get any future ones right

Back