• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Thanks SLB. It makes me very proud to see a big newspaper report like that, of Wolverhampton Wanderers, in a country that is known for great footballers. Thank you very much.

Just looking at the Prem teams and one fringe striker stands out - Joselu at Stoke. They are willing to get rid of him, he only cost them just over £5m, he's 6ft 3in tall and very good in the air but has pace too. He's got a decent record (6 in 24 last season at Deportivo on loan in La Liga including goals against Barca and Real). Malaga are supposedly interested this summer but don't have as much money as us for transfers. Injuries could be an issue which is why he only played 24 games for Deportivo due to knee and achilles injuries. Surely we could convince him that a season with us would keep him in the shop window for the Premier League?
Scored both of Stoke's goals off the bench in a 2-1 win against Bolton today. Sign him up!

So portuguese newspaper A Bola brings a 4 full pages article on Wolves, including 4 interviews with the portuguese signings.

View attachment 1839

View attachment 1840

Its probably something exotic for some of you so if anyone is a collector wants the copy i bought i can send it to England.

Cheers mate. Probably a pain, but any chance of a post with the translation of the interviews?

He could just do the direct quotes. The rest is of little interest anyway.

Cheers mate. Probably a pain, but any chance of a post with the translation of the interviews?
Guessing the E&S have got someone on it as we speak.

I know, but he seems to have plenty of time on his hands :icon_lol:

Im actually quite a busy guy. I just enjoy football a lot and most of my free time goes to study it or do stuff related to it.

Honest question: how can one say something has little interest when he doesnt understand the content?

Anyway for the rest of those interested i can try and do a little summary of each interview.

Gray is decent but I wouldn't be spending that much on him

Im actually quite a busy guy. I just enjoy football a lot and most of my free time goes to study it or do stuff related to it.

Honest question: how can one say something has little interest when he doesnt understand the contente?

Anyway for the rest of those interested i can try and do a little summary of each interview.

yes please SLB

Gray is decent but I wouldn't be spending that much on him

It's a lot of money but when you think Britt went for £15 it's the going rate for a player with Premier League experience now. I'm not sure i'd pay it but i think it gets us promoted so in the end would be worth it.

its a lot of money, agreed..but strikers are always overpriced, he has played in the PL..but if you ask me i wouldnt like to pay more than £15m if possible..has he just one year left on his contract?

Sure.

So the first 2 pages start basically a short summary of Wolves history. Then it starts talking about NES and the rest of the portuguese coaches and how he started targeting portuguese players. It is said that Nuno usually does not allow journalists during training but when he knew it was A Bola, he opened an exception. The journalist also praises Wolves facilities saying they are Premier League level. People were kind to them, and they were received by Paul Berry. He also points a diference when comparing to portuguese training facilities: no security members. He makes a quick reference to Mendes recent influence and then ends it saying the goal is to achieve promotion since the club has everything to be in Premier League but just could not get there yet.

Interviews:

Ruben Neves - When asked if he is enjoying the experience so far he said that so far so good. Its a big club with good facilities and a great history. He also said he doesnt believe he took a step back in his career. When asked about returning to Porto one day, he says that everyone knows he loves the club and he is sure he will return one day. Also he says that in Portugal he wont play in any other club but Porto. He also says that nobody told him the club goals this season but everyone wants to do their best and put the club where it deserves. When asked if a good season with Wolves could take him to the World Cup next year he says that he doesnt think about it. He knows he didnt play much in the last 2 years so his focus now is just on getting as much play time as possible. Then he just answers 2 questions about what went wrong with Porto last season.

Diogo Jota- He says the same about the club and the facilities. He also says it wasnt a step back in his career because even though its the second tier, the facilities, the fans and the football level are good and its just a good experience. He then says that having all that portuguese players and staff will help him to get used to the club and the region. He also says that he doesnt know yet what the season goal is but everyone thinks it will be the promotion to the Premier League. Then 2 questions about Porto last season and what went wrong. When asked if in Portugal he will only play for Porto he says that he cant say that and the doesnt cut off any club (Good answer Diogo Jota...good answer). He also says that Portugal national team is always a goal for him and he trains every day to one day get there.

Ruben Vinagre- He starts saying that it has been a good experience and all that portuguese staff are very important to help him with the adaptation to the club. When asked if he expects to play or if this season will be a learning experience he answers that expects both things. The league is very competetive and he hopes that will help him to improve as a player. Thats why he picked Wolves and he also says its the perfect club to be a stepping stone to his career. When asked where that next step could be he answers that for now his focus is Wolves but that in Portugal all the 3 bigger clubs are excellent options. He also says that national team is a dream and he wants to continue his good experience with the youth national teams (he is a U-17 european champion with Portugal). He then praises NES work and says he is helping im a lot to improve. Then when asked about his best atributes he answers its his acceleration with ball, dribbling and also free kicks.

Roderick- When asked about Wolves goal he answers its just a good season and fight for a place in the playoff. Then he says his dream is to get to the Premier League (even more than returning to a Portuguese big club). Then he says that he wont say that in Portugal he will just play for Benfica, since a lot have said that before and then did not keep their word. Then its asked his opinion on the 2 former team mates that joined Benfica - Krovinovic and Filipe Augusto (ffs...). Then he says he has no hard feelings for Benfica. He says he became a player then and just improved a lot with Rio Ave. Then the journalist asks if the things that Kelvin goal for Porto damaged his career with Benfica and he answers that its in the past and everyone makes mistakes. He has put that behind his back.

Sure.

So the first 2 pages start basically a short summary of Wolves history. Then it starts talking about NES and the rest of the portuguese coaches and how he started targeting portuguese players. It is said that Nuno usually does not allow journalists during training but when he knew it was A Bola, he opened an exception. The journalist also praises Wolves facilities saying they are Premier League level. People were kind to them, and they were received by Paul Berry. He also points a diference when comparing to portuguese training facilities: no security members. He makes a quick reference to Mendes recent influence and then ends it saying the goal is to achieve promotion since the club has everything to be in Premier League but just could not get there yet.

Interviews:

Ruben Neves - When asked if he is enjoying the experience so far he said that so far so good. Its a big club with good facilities and a great history. He also said he doesnt believe he took a step back in his career. When asked about returning to Porto one day, he says that everyone knows he loves the club and he is sure he will return one day. Also he says that in Portugal he wont play in any other club but Porto. He also says that nobody told him the club goals this season but everyone wants to do their best and put the club where it deserves. When asked if a good season with Wolves could take him to the World Cup next year he says that he doesnt think about it. He knows he didnt play much in the last 2 years so his focus now is just on getting as much play time as possible. Then he just answers 2 questions about what went wrong with Porto last season.

Diogo Jota- He says the same about the club and the facilities. He also says it wasnt a step back in his career because even though its the second tier, the facilities, the fans and the football level are good and its just a good experience. He then says that having all that portuguese players and staff will help him to get used to the club and the region. He also says that he doesnt know yet what the season goal is but everyone thinks it will be the promotion to the Premier League. Then 2 questions about Porto last season and what went wrong. When asked if in Portugal he will only play for Porto he says that he cant say that and the doesnt cut off any club (Good answer Diogo Jota...good answer). He also says that Portugal national team is always a goal for him and he trains every day to one day get there.

Ruben Vinagre- He starts saying that it has been a good experience and all that portuguese staff are very important to help him with the adaptation to the club. When asked if he expects to play or if this season will be a learning experience he answers that expects both things. The league is very competetive and he hopes that will help him to improve as a player. Thats why he picked Wolves and he also says its the perfect club to be a stepping stone to his career. When asked where that next step could be he answers that for now his focus is Wolves but that in Portugal all the 3 bigger clubs are excellent options. He also says that national team is a dream and he wants to continue his good experience with the youth national teams (he is a U-17 european champion with Portugal). He then praises NES work and says he is helping im a lot to improve. Then when asked about his best atributes he answers its his acceleration with ball, dribbling and also free kicks.

Roderick- When asked about Wolves goal he answers its just a good season and fight for a place in the playoff. Then he says his dream is to get to the Premier League (even more than returning to a Portuguese big club). Then he says that he wont say that in Portugal he will just play for Benfica, since a lot have said that before and then did not keep their word. Then its asked his opinion on the 2 former team mates that joined Benfica - Krovinovic and Filipe Augusto (ffs...). Then he says he has no hard feelings for Benfica. He says he became a player then and just improved a lot with Rio Ave. Then the journalist asks if the things that Kelvin goal for Porto damaged his career with Benfica and he answers that its in the past and everyone makes mistakes. He has put that behind his back.

Thanks SLB, great post! :)

Great work, much appreciated SLB

Jesus, that Kelvin goal was hardly Roderick's fault! Cruel of the journo to bring that up.

Back