• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Probably someone who knows the championship willing to put a shift in and will be up for it on a wet Tuesday in hull

FWIW I do believe we are a central midfielder short. Not a Terry Hurlock, Vinnie Jones type, but an all round Alex Rae sort one of whose attributes is putting his foot in. The job that Saiss should be able to do, but doesn't seem capable and/or arsed to. If we want to go up then I don't think that we will happen with any of Price, Saiss, Edwards or Evans as Neves' regular partner, we'll be too soft in the middle.

Hard to disagree with that. I think price or ronan will work in some games, but we need a cm and a cf if we're looking top two

FWIW I do believe we are a central midfielder short. Not a Terry Hurlock, Vinnie Jones type, but an all round Alex Rae sort one of whose attributes is putting his foot in. The job that Saiss should be able to do, but doesn't seem capable and/or arsed to. If we want to go up then I don't think that we will happen with any of Price, Saiss, Edwards or Evans as Neves' regular partner, we'll be too soft in the middle.

Exactly - assuming striker is addressed, then this is the one position left for me

I wouldn't disagree with that. I'd like a Forshaw, Hogg or Clayton type of player to occupy that role. It's the biggest piece missing from Price's game, he just can't tackle and we do need somebody who can do that.

A Championship version of Kante will do.....

Of course, if we can buy another why not? Would be nice to have a box-to-box midfielder who is also good on the ball

Neves is bound to miss some games too, without him in c midfield we look very low on quality

I agree tbf, Price and Saiss I think would be good 3rd and 4th choice CMs for us, but I wish we had gone for a Howson! Really good footballer, cdoesn't give players time on the ball and been a consistent performer at this level.

I don't know Monk's plans but if Forshaw or Clayton became available I'd be all over one of them! EDIT: Just look at Johnny's post, great minds and all that

I agree too. 1 x CM and ideally 2 x ST.

And we need to bin off some deadwood.

I agree too. 1 x CM and ideally 2 x ST.

And we need to bin off some deadwood.

Maybe our fringe players are not in great demand. Or maybe we are asking too much for players we want to unload. Though I must admit I do not know which players we are trying to move on.

Maybe our fringe players are not in great demand. Or maybe we are asking too much for players we want to unload. Though I must admit I do not know which players we are trying to move on.

Could be all sorts of reasons such as other clubs needing to offload before they can buy. We'll have no problems selling Evans and Oniangue (who are apparently set to depart), and I guess it depends how much we're asking for Mason as I can't imagine he'll be in NES's plans.

Apparently Lonergan was due to sign for someone last week but dropped the pen.

I agree we need another midfielder, though not at all sure his main attribute should be a willingness to get stuck in. Saiss showed yesterday that he is too lethargic to play in this system, neither his feet or his head are quick enough for a high intensity passing game.

The way I see this 343 we are playing it's all about using the three CB's to free up the wingbacks to play as wide midfielders, thus overpowering the opposition especially on the wings by having in essence one extra offensive player. The main job of the CM's should then be not so much offering creativity and movement but rather just always being available for a pass, keeping possession, shifting play from one side to the other when needed and simply keeping the whole thing ticking. As shown yesterday you can't go running off pressing here and there like Edwards, and neither can you afford to lose concentration and misplace simple passes like Saiss did on a number of occasions. The whole system collapses immediately. Not to hype up Price more than necessary (not sure anyone here really does though) but if he can find a little bit of consistency I think he suits the system very well. The problem in my view is more that, apart from him and Neves, our other options are really ill suited to it. I actually think Saville might have worked just as well or better, as a back up option, as at least he is reasonably good at keeping it simple and consistently passing the easy short balls where he should.

In short I think we need a Carrick type of player more than we need a Touré or a Vieira. I am actually a bit worried that unless we improve this area we are going to have a rough time against the cloggers in this division (of which there are many)

Back