• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I watched him v Forest as I don't get to many games and he really is a petulant cunt.

His body language is simply appalling. He bombs forward for the cross he put in for Dickos first half attempt and again for the goal and it's totally at odds with how he 'moves' when he's required to get back/defend as is evidenced generally and versus Forest there was at least one occasion where he totally switched off and conceded possession on the edge of our area. His willingness to get forward exposes that he simply doesn't want to defend. This isn't a Coady who tries his hardest even if he does get shown up against better wingers but a flat out abdication of his defensive role.

The opinion of Matt Doherty on this forum is not shared by that of the majority of molineux attendees

The point is we dont know if Matt Doherty is playing to instruction from the Wolves coaching staff because the fullback role differs from club to club.
Its rare these days for opponents to attack you down the sides so the back four unit doesn't have to stand as a four and flat. Plus if you have midfield players acting as second strikers the use of the fullback through midfield helps create passing options.
If Lambert's happy that suggests Doherty is playing the role asked of him.

The point is we dont know if Matt Doherty is playing to instruction from the Wolves coaching staff because the fullback role differs from club to club.
Its rare these days for opponents to attack you down the sides so the back four unit doesn't have to stand as a four and flat. Plus if you have midfield players acting as second strikers the use of the fullback through midfield helps create passing options.
If Lambert's happy that suggests Doherty is playing the role asked of him.

Which suggests he is wrong, look at the goals conceded from Doherty's side, would you be happy if you were manager? Added to that you have the manager saying Cav doesn't work hard enough out of posession but then Doherty gets a free pass? Doesn't sit right with me.

Teams do attack us from out wide because they know he's such a colossal weak link. We've conceded ludicrous numbers of goals down his side (whichever one it is) since we got back into this division. Save for that average run of form he had towards the end of last season - a run that only looked good because of how pitiful he is generally - he doesn't stop crosses, can't mark, can't tackle and is constantly out of position. It's easy pickings.

Which suggests he is wrong, look at the goals conceded from Doherty's side, would you be happy if you were manager? Added to that you have the manager saying Cav doesn't work hard enough out of posession but then Doherty gets a free pass? Doesn't sit right with me.

You could argue that the whole defensive shape is badly coached, I wouldn't disagree, and only plays as a unit when Williamson takes the field.

You could argue that the whole defensive shape is badly coached, I wouldn't disagree, and only plays as a unit when Williamson takes the field.

Mentioned that I haven't seen a great deal of us this season but do teams look to exploit Doherty? If I was playing against him I'd be looking to shift a wide player right out to the touch line on his side to try and force the issue of him not being a left sided player, let alone the fact he isn't very good.

If I was playing against Doherty I'd put a left footed player on the right and tell him to cut inside and shoot whenever he gets the ball. Doherty just lets you do it. Look at the carnage Craig Noone causes every time he plays against us, he just can't deal with it.

If I was playing against Doherty I'd put a left footed player on the right and tell him to cut inside and shoot whenever he gets the ball. Doherty just lets you do it. Look at the carnage Craig Noone causes every time he plays against us, he just can't deal with it.

But if you create a collective defensive shape which covers individual movement you compensate when players get caught out of position.
Brighton for example have players that bomb forward but they retain compactness when required.

Kicker reckon we're looking at Toni Leistner from Union Berlin. 26, centre half. HSV and Wolfsburg also both interested (either of those could yet go down, mind, while Union could go up). One year left on his deal and they don't want him leaving for nothing.

Don't know anything about him really, I've seen one Union game this season and St Pauli barely had a shot.

But if you create a collective defensive shape which covers individual movement you compensate when players get caught out of position.
Brighton for example have players that bomb forward but they retain compactness when required.

Our defenders aren't good enough to deal with anything other than a simple, traditional, basic back four with stock defined roles and in any case it's a moot point, Doherty is just dire. We shouldn't be having to cover for him constantly. We already have to employ a system where a defensive midfielder and a winger have to hold his hand.

Sign a proper left back and you'd see major improvement straight away, I guarantee it.

Our defenders aren't good enough to deal with anything other than a simple, traditional, basic back four with stock defined roles and in any case it's a moot point, Doherty is just dire. We shouldn't be having to cover for him constantly. We already have to employ a system where a defensive midfielder and a winger have to hold his hand.

Sign a proper left back and you'd see major improvement straight away, I guarantee it.

Play Williamson in a back four and you immediately see Doherty taking less risks with his positioning, its a mindset thing with our Matt if he can get away with it he will. Williamson keeps them on a tight leash.

Kicker reckon we're looking at Toni Leistner from Union Berlin. 26, centre half. HSV and Wolfsburg also both interested (either of those could yet go down, mind, while Union could go up). One year left on his deal and they don't want him leaving for nothing.

Don't know anything about him really, I've seen one Union game this season and St Pauli barely had a shot.
Watched him a fair few times over the last few months, Union was on BT of times recently and via a few feeds over the last couple of months. Granted the standard in 2.Bundesliga isnt a touch on the Championship, he to me seems miles better then what we have. Comfortable on the ball and very commanding in the air.

Btw Union are on BT on Monday in a top of the table clash away at Stuttgart. Win that I think Union will be promoted..

Teams do attack us from out wide because they know he's such a colossal weak link. We've conceded ludicrous numbers of goals down his side (whichever one it is) since we got back into this division. Save for that average run of form he had towards the end of last season - a run that only looked good because of how pitiful he is generally - he doesn't stop crosses, can't mark, can't tackle and is constantly out of position. It's easy pickings.

Well there's an interesting out of season project for someone. We'll end the season having conceded around 58 goals in the league. Where did they come from? Who was responsible? I'd say 58 is a reasonable statistical sample...

I don't believe Lambert tells Doherty to bomb forward and then when we turnover possession, amble back at his own pace. However, even if I did, this doesn't explain him doing the same thing during the first half of the season when Zenga expressly told his full backs to not go beyond the half way line.

He plays in defence but doesn't like defending, that's where it begins and ends really.

According to Kicker, he's statistically the best defender in Bundesliga 2 this season. German pal of mine says he wants to play in England but could favour a move to the Bundesliga if Union fail to get promoted.

someone has mentioned coaching, and i've seen somewhere that Ward has now become a better left back, as he's been coached out of continually backing off, but instead forcing the opponent out wider. i may not have explained that too well , but it does show a poor player can improve with the right coaching.

when Lambert came in, I was expecting a few signings from the German leagues....suppose it might happen during the close season

I don't believe Lambert tells Doherty to bomb forward and then when we turnover possession, amble back at his own pace. However, even if I did, this doesn't explain him doing the same thing during the first half of the season when Zenga expressly told his full backs to not go beyond the half way line.

He plays in defence but doesn't like defending, that's where it begins and ends really.

So Tony Towner you've let the cat out of the bag!

Back