• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

I think you're writing Sheffield United off a little lightly. They are a team that is greater than the sum of their parts. I think they will surprise a lot of people and could well challenge for a PO place.

They have Leon Clarke and Billy Sharp up front...

And one of their two best centre-backs is also one of our worst, and that's arguably our weakest area.

The 3 coming down will all have a lot of shit to sort out before making a challenge, I'd expect Sheff Utd to be on a par with what Barnsley have done this year.
Reality is the gap between championship and league 1 is starting to grow, I expect Bolton and the play off winners to struggle next season.

Wilder knows how to get results. Easy to look look at the individuals and overlook that they play efficient football. Not pretty but effective.

And one of their two best centre-backs is also one of our worst, and that's arguably our weakest area.

I don't know who their fullbacks are but I'm confident they must be better than ours!

Looks like EEL's been found out, to be fair. Had an absolute stinker a few weeks ago and has been in and out of the team since.

I'd be amazed if they signed him, although being tied down to a brand, spanking new contract here won't help (nice work, Wolves).

Wilder knows how to get results. Easy to look look at the individuals and overlook that they play efficient football. Not pretty but effective.

He is an advantage to them, the Warnock of the lower leagues. I would think they will be pragmatic and very organised but not sure they will be play off material.

Given Reading's success this year nothing would surprise me!

Sheffield United challenging for a Playoff place next season is the funniest thing to have been written on here EVER. OMG LMFAO

The Irishman was perhaps unfortunate to be overlooked in favour of former Wolves youngster and Fulham left-back Scott Malone in the Championship Team of the Year. Yet, while Doherty has been lauded for his attacking threat this season, scoring and creating four apiece, it was his defensive durability that shone through at Elland Road.

It must have been difficult to type that and think "yeah, people will believe me"

'A cartoon lightbulb', indeed. Where the fuck do people get this shit from? Any non Wolves supporter reading that would think we've got Philip Lahm lite on our books.

But yeah, I hope Leeds win the battle of trying to prise him off our hands.

The opinion of Matt Doherty on this forum is not shared by that of the majority of molineux attendees

The opinion of Matt Doherty on this forum is not shared by that of the majority of molineux attendees

I don't rate him at all, but I don't think he's quite as bad as many people on here make him out to be. Problem is when he's bad, he's REALLY bad.

Though I stress that I don't want him here next season whatsoever, he's not good enough - definitely on the 'sell' list for me. But he's not the worst full back we've ever had.

He's the worst full back we've ever had who's been a constant fixture in the team for 16 entire months.

Dross like Paul Edwards, Matt Hill, Dennis Pearce, Jack Robinson etc who *might* be worse than him just didn't play or got sold/released after a while, as it was pretty clear they were rubbish. This dork plays every week. Not like he's in because he tries really hard and gives it his all either.

His defending is exactly the same level now as when we bought him from the League of Ireland nearly seven years ago.

That's because he is sometimes good going forward, he scores the odd goal and does look a threat. That's enough for most football fans for someone to be quality, it's either that or runs around a lot and tries really hard like Dave because Matt certainly doesn't do that.

He's OK going forward on the left, but not particularly on the right - and his bad defensive games outnumber his positive ones on both sides. As an option off the bench I could accept his place in the squad at this level, but he's never, ever going to be good enough for a team wanting to break out higher than mid-table Championship to have as a guaranteed starter.

I'd also rather see a number of other players out of position at right-back - Stearman, for example - ahead of Doherty now, he's that useless on that side. He's an attacking left wing-back now or nothing in my eyes.

That's because he is sometimes good going forward, he scores the odd goal and does look a threat. That's enough for most football fans for someone to be quality, it's either that or runs around a lot and tries really hard like Dave because Matt certainly doesn't do that.

I don't disagree.

He got player of the year etc.

Fans at wolves like him and his attacking stats will be attractive for sites like HITC and the fact he is nailed on in the team.

He isn't even especially good going forward. I can accept that when he puts his mind to it, he can pass a ball and shoot, sort of. He's alright at popping up at the back stick from time to time (if only he understood he needs to do that at the other end). Occasionally he puts a decent cross in, but then so does Coady and no-one's annointed him as a Scouse Cafu on the other side.

The problem is that he's got no left foot whatsoever, so it's painfully obvious what he's going to do every single time. Just don't let him chop onto his right and the danger is over. Never going to beat anyone down the outside, too fat and slow for that even if he could use his left peg. Always tries that stupid little ball inside the full back when he tries to link play, 90% of the time it just rolls out for a goal kick.

I don't disagree.

He got player of the year etc.

Fans at wolves like him and his attacking stats will be attractive for sites like HITC and the fact he is nailed on in the team.

It's really frustrating though because we would be so much better with an actual left back that could defend, use his left foot and that didn't walk back to his position.

Back