• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Staying at Benfica doesn't help Mendes. Being sold for over £20m to a perm club will and allows us to rinse and repeat with a new Mendes signing, probably on loan to begin with.

We can then invest in what we need.

True enough, I'd prefer to keep the quality we have though. We can't guarantee a Costa each time, whose to say we won't end up with Tex's, gladons etc

Gladon was Thelwell's doing

I suspect we'll see a couple more of Mendes loan to buy deals. This season Costa was a hit, Tex a miss. Decent success rate.

Costa seems to have settled well and he now has 'Championship experience', so knows what to expect.

Selling him would be a backwards step, as we don't currently have a replacement on the books.

Graham, Zyro, Marshall and Cavaleiro could all step straight in to replace him.

They aren't as good though.
Have to see how it plays out, Graham and Zyro both had impressive outputs from fairly limited appearances last year and Marshall seems to have made a big impact to the team as a whole without being anything incredible individually. I don't think losing Costa would be the end of the world personally, other players have had bigger individual impact at this level over the years.

If we can get a good return on Costa & improve a number of other areas of the team with the money then I can live with it. (please a left back if nothing else)

Have really enjoyed watching him play for us, but he is too good for the Championship.

Helder is sublime but he's not irreplaceable.

Have to see how it plays out, Graham and Zyro both had impressive outputs from fairly limited appearances last year and Marshall seems to have made a big impact to the team as a whole without being anything incredible individually. I don't think losing Costa would be the end of the world personally, other players have had bigger individual impact at this level over the years.

I think Zyro is ok and Graham had very good delivery in his limited appearances but wasn't really a goal threat. Marshall is a steady footballer who delivers the ball well but he's not very mobile and will struggle to play week in week out for me. I think Costa would be a massive loss unless he was replaced by someone who can do what he does and that's run with the ball at pace, combine with other to provide assists and score goals. He will only get better in a better side so if possible we need to keep him and add players around him.

Possibly, but Shi referred to FFP in his interview & clearly they are fully aware of the rules - throwing massive amounts of money in is fine if you get promoted & can thumb your nose at them, but we all know the Championship is a lottery & there is never going to be any side who has a guarantee of going up.

For FFP, four players for £5m will have a bigger impact than one player for £20m as wages will be the main contributor.

Wasn't there someone on here who asked Thelwell in a pub what the deal was and he said the he was recommended to him? It's certainly not a Mendes signing and Walter was nothing to do with it. If it's not him I would be interested to know who the guilty party is.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It's quite obviously a Thelwell signing. We've been scouting Holland and France for ages.

Please, never become a detective!

My skills are better suited elsewhere.

We've been signing players from France and Holland over recent years, so the club obviously has scouts out there pre mendes/fosun.

Mendes has no links to Gladon so no reason he would be involved. And how would Zenga know anything about him either.

Logic suggests it was Thellwell. If I'm wrong, then explain your reasoning.

Back