• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

My skills are better suited elsewhere.

We've been signing players from France and Holland over recent years, so the club obviously has scouts out there pre mendes/fosun.

Mendes has no links to Gladon so no reason he would be involved. And how would Zenga know anything about him either.

Logic suggests it was Thellwell. If I'm wrong, then explain your reasoning.

I've already said above who was responsible for the majority of signings.

I've already said above who was responsible for the majority of signings.

Helder Costa
Cavaleiro
Silvio
Teixeira
Ola John
Stearman
Bod

Saiss
Gladon
Prince
CBJ

The bottom 4 could be Butti influenced. CBJ is a given. But hardly the majority.

Helder Costa
Cavaleiro
Silvio
Teixeira
Ola John
Stearman
Bod

Saiss
Gladon
Prince
CBJ

The bottom 4 could be Butti influenced. CBJ is a given. But hardly the majority.

Top 5 are Mendes signing at a guess.

Butti was responsible for most. He worked with Mendes and other agents to get the type of players' in that Zenga wanted. He's got an abundance of contacts.

Costa, Silvio and Tex were all signed or lined up before Ken was sacked. It is of course possible that Butti was pulling some strings before he was even appointed here, mind you we don't need him to sort out deals through Mendes.

Is Thelwell working with Mendes now? Or are Fosun looking to bring a new DOF in?

Is Thelwell working with Mendes now? Or are Fosun looking to bring a new DOF in?

Shi's comments in his recent interview suggest Thelwell is staying.

Thinking about this a bit more the sales are more likely to be saiss and oniangue

Ahmed Musa is pretty much frozen out at Leicester. I'd say he's worth a punt.

Internet rags linking us to Chris Martin and Thomas O'ware from grennock Morton

Problem for us is that we have so many glaring weaknesses that we are unlikely to fill them all in one window

This is likely to take at least 2 season's to deal with - don't expect a miracle resurgence at the start of 2017/18

No chance Martin will come here, only went on loan because he fell out with Pearson, once he was sacked he signed a new contract and Rowett in the article about Weimann earlier this month said he wants him to stay.

Problem for us is that we have so many glaring weaknesses that we are unlikely to fill them all in one window

This is likely to take at least 2 season's to deal with - don't expect a miracle resurgence at the start of 2017/18

We can only hope that with three or four better players around them some of those that are considered weak might improve. Get a good CH in and maybe Hause and Iorfa will become more consistent. A good CM and maybe Evans can find some consistency? Similarly a proper Number 9 could have a big impact.

We can only hope that with three or four better players around them some of those that are considered weak might improve. Get a good CH in and maybe Hause and Iorfa will become more consistent. A good CM and maybe Evans can find some consistency? Similarly a proper Number 9 could have a big impact.

I agree. Get the spine of the team right with 2-3 big signings, and we could be a real force.

Bizarrely enough I actually support Morton in a distance fan way, my ma is from Greenock originally and her family used to send us gear down. Although couldn't tell you much about him you couldn't look up yourself as other than following their results on twitter and watching one game of theres that I spotted was Alba my knowledge is entirely internet based.

If we're after experience in the English leagues and players who would immediately improve us, I'd have Shane Long and James Collins towards the top of my list. Neither what you'd call first picks for their respective Premier League clubs.

Both affordable, both experienced and both a dramatic improvement on what we already have.

No way Long is dropping to this level.

Collins...well I've never really liked him and he'll be 34 around the start of next season. But he's better than what we have and if it were a straight choice between him and Hanley (who I'm terrified we'll sign, not least because his head will cause a partial solar eclipse at every home game) then I'd take Collins. Personally though I want someone more along the lines of Tarkowski, not a one season merchant.

We say it every summer but next seasons Championship has the potential to be one of thoughest yet. All of these teams will have genuine aspirations of promotion, plus there's always a couple that do better than expected like Huddersfield and Reading (still baffled as to how they're where they are) this season:

Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Swansea or Hull
Villa
Sheffield Wed
Fulham
Leeds
Derby
Norwich
Cardiff
Sheffield Utd
Reading
Brentford

Even a Bradford coming up would cause teams problems. Massive summer indeed...

We say it every summer but next seasons Championship has the potential to be one of thoughest yet. All of these teams will have genuine aspirations of promotion, plus there's always a couple that do better than expected like Huddersfield and Reading (still baffled as to how they're where they are) this season:

Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Swansea or Hull
Villa
Sheffield Wed
Fulham
Leeds
Derby
Norwich
Cardiff
Sheffield Utd
Reading
Brentford

Even a Bradford coming up would cause teams problems. Massive summer indeed...

As you say, we say it every Summer, but history tells us that only one of the relegated 3 will be serious contenders for the Top 2. Sunderland for instance are awful and Short has lost interest, he didn't give Moyes money to stay in the League so I doubt he'll give him any to get out again. Hull the same re the money and I cannot see Silva hanging around for a season in the Championship. Boro have the look of the type of side who could go straight back up, they will be more or less the same team who did it just a year ago, but a lot will depend on their attitude and managerial appointment. That said last time it was their defence that got them up, if they were to lose Gibson and Friend from that then all of a sudden all those 1-0 wins become draws.

League 1 is really weak this year - take a look at Sheff Utd's team today they'll be bottom 6 without investment, so even with it it's only really momentum that will make them promotion contenders.

Colin will walk or be pushed by Cardiff by late Autumn, he's a firefighter these days, be it a good one, not someone that's going to mount a genuine promotion shot. I know he's giving it large about signing loads of players, but the likelihood is if they were game changers they'll have better options. Brentford, I cannot see improving on where they are, lose Jota and they'll be bottom half.

One of the play off defeated teams will have a hangover, happens every season.

Leeds, if they miss out on the play offs could well sack Monk which will put them back to square one, plus Jansson is off and I could see Brighton going in for Wood to do the role that Murray does now, I think Hughton had him at Blues.

Norwich, Villa and Derby should all be up there and probably will be, but as things stand, one doesn't have a manager, one is very streaky win 3 lose 3, the other has a bunch of mentally weak players, but a manager I rate. Norwich with Wagner if Huddersfield don't go up as rumoured would on the face of things be strong you'd think.

Wolves need a hell of a lot of work to bridge the circa 20 points we need to make the play offs and will probably have to do so from a position of losing our POTS. I doubt any other fans, would put us on a list like this at this stage.

As you say, we say it every Summer, but history tells us that only one of the relegated 3 will be serious contenders for the Top 2. Sunderland for instance are awful and Short has lost interest, he didn't give Moyes money to stay in the League so I doubt he'll give him any to get out again. Hull the same re the money and I cannot see Silva hanging around for a season in the Championship. Boro have the look of the type of side who could go straight back up, they will be more or less the same team who did it just a year ago, but a lot will depend on their attitude and managerial appointment. That said last time it was their defence that got them up, if they were to lose Gibson and Friend from that then all of a sudden all those 1-0 wins become draws.

League 1 is really weak this year - take a look at Sheff Utd's team today they'll be bottom 6 without investment, so even with it it's only really momentum that will make them promotion contenders.

Colin will walk or be pushed by Cardiff by late Autumn, he's a firefighter these days, be it a good one, not someone that's going to mount a genuine promotion shot. I know he's giving it large about signing loads of players, but the likelihood is if they were game changers they'll have better options. Brentford, I cannot see improving on where they are, lose Jota and they'll be bottom half.

One of the play off defeated teams will have a hangover, happens every season.

Leeds, if they miss out on the play offs could well sack Monk which will put them back to square one, plus Jansson is off and I could see Brighton going in for Wood to do the role that Murray does now, I think Hughton had him at Blues.

Norwich, Villa and Derby should all be up there and probably will be, but as things stand, one doesn't have a manager, one is very streaky win 3 lose 3, the other has a bunch of mentally weak players, but a manager I rate. Norwich with Wagner if Huddersfield don't go up as rumoured would on the face of things be strong you'd think.

Wolves need a hell of a lot of work to bridge the circa 20 points we need to make the play offs and will probably have to do so from a position of losing our POTS. I doubt any other fans, would put us on a list like this at this stage.

I think you're writing Sheffield United off a little lightly. They are a team that is greater than the sum of their parts. I think they will surprise a lot of people and could well challenge for a PO place.

Back