• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Apparently we're going back in for Anderson Talisca.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Apparently we're going back in for Anderson Talisca.

Really can't see that - Man Utd were sniffing around & there will be others further up the pecking order from us.

Sure that Fosun could afford, but would rather sort out 4 players in the £5m range to cover other deficiencies than 1 £20m+ player

Really can't see that - Man Utd were sniffing around & there will be others further up the pecking order from us.

Sure that Fosun could afford, but would rather sort out 4 players in the £5m range to cover other deficiencies than 1 £20m+ player
Agree with the first bit, but don't think that Fosun are thinking of it in terms of "20m on one OR 5m on four", they don't have to choose.

Agree with the first bit, but don't think that Fosun are thinking of it in terms of "20m on one OR 5m on four", they don't have to choose.

Possibly, but Shi referred to FFP in his interview & clearly they are fully aware of the rules - throwing massive amounts of money in is fine if you get promoted & can thumb your nose at them, but we all know the Championship is a lottery & there is never going to be any side who has a guarantee of going up.

Is he any more likely to get a work permit now?

The work permit wasn't the issue, he just didn't want to come here. Besiktas have gone on record saying that they can't afford to buy him permanently but they still have him on loan for another season. We won't get him while we're still in the championship, he can just stay on loan in Turkey, play Champions League football in front of an incredible fan base and just wait to see if we get promoted or not. Or he could just sign for Man United.

From what Jeff said it'll be a holistic approach to improving the squad rather than one or two big purchases which has to be the right approach.

As long as what we buy is better than what we have and we don't buy more squad players we'll do alright.

The players leaving us will almost be as interesting as the ones we buy

Incidentally, when does the window open?

You can buy players whenever you want. You just can't register them to play. So we can do what we want as soon as the whistle blows vs PNE and the players will join us officially on 1 July.

Possibly, but Shi referred to FFP in his interview & clearly they are fully aware of the rules - throwing massive amounts of money in is fine if you get promoted & can thumb your nose at them, but we all know the Championship is a lottery & there is never going to be any side who has a guarantee of going up.

Costa's sale will cover the purchase of Talisca.

There have been enough hints from the club that suggests we won't.

You may well be right, TSB, but if the owners have ambitions to get into the PL, then they need to keep players like Costa and add other quality players to the squad.

To attract the players we want, then keeping Costa is key IMO.

Both Dalrymple and Shi have both publicly said we will sell to buy in order to circumnavigate fair play rules. We don't achieve that by selling George Saville.

Our ambition over the summer may we'll decide if Costa stays or goes. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders how long he'll be out with an ankle injury for

Our ambition over the summer may we'll decide if Costa stays or goes. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders how long he'll be out with an ankle injury for

I agree, selling Costa will be a signal that we intend to spend very big this summer. We have a very different business model now and supporters are going to have to adapt. Mendes hasn't gone away.

I agree, selling Costa will be a signal that we intend to spend very big this summer. We have a very different business model now and supporters are going to have to adapt. Mendes hasn't gone away.

I think we will spend no matter what. Pretty sure the way we structure deals means that it doesn't impact FFP as much as it should. I agree that we are run completely different now, like Jeff said if it makes sense to buy a player we will and if we get offers that are too good to refuse we will sell players including Cav and Costa. It does mean though especially as we have Mendes that their will always be players that can replace them, we just have to hope they are as good if not better.

I meant that if we show lots of ambition then Costa may decide to stay, even if we get 20mil i think he'd be impossible to replace. It was more about convincing him to stay - i still think if he'd intended to leave in the summer he'd have just stayed to benfica.

I meant that if we show lots of ambition then Costa may decide to stay, even if we get 20mil i think he'd be impossible to replace. It was more about convincing him to stay - i still think if he'd intended to leave in the summer he'd have just stayed to benfica.

Staying at Benfica doesn't help Mendes. Being sold for over £20m to a perm club will and allows us to rinse and repeat with a new Mendes signing, probably on loan to begin with.

We can then invest in what we need.

Back