• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Ruddy stupid?

I am still a fan of Martinez but PL strikes me as a manager who likes players he knows and trusts like Marshall and Weimann

Paul Robinson it is then lol!

Grant is bang average, see our goal against Derby 2 seasons ago which he threw in his net as evidence. There's a reason they got rid of him. He's not better than Ikeme, on a par at best, we remember Ikeme's mistakes because he plays for Wolves the likes of Grant have made a similar amount over the years playing at the same level, it's just Wolves fans don't notice it as much.

Yeah I remember that, however I'd take this seasons form over 2 seasons ago as a more recent indication of his ability. Grant during his poor spells is a better keeper than Ikeme during his, similar but better athleticism which for me is the biggest reason behind me wanting Ikeme replacing.

Yeah I remember that, however I'd take this seasons form over 2 seasons ago as a more recent indication of his ability. Grant during his poor spells is a better keeper than Ikeme during his, similar but better athleticism which for me is the biggest reason behind me wanting Ikeme replacing.
There's no doubting he's done OK at Stoke, although has still made the odd mistake. I remember him getting done at his near post from a free kick a couple of weeks ago. I'm not against replacing Ikeme, I just think that Grant who has had a purple patch is the answer

Not sure where to stick this but.....

We could be seeing a lot more of this fella in the Premier League next season.

Winger Anderson Talisca, currently on loan from Benfica to Besiktas, has been linked with both Manchester United and Liverpool in recent weeks and the way seems clear for both to bid.

Besiktas president Fikret Orman has told Turkish Football that Benfica will accept a £21m bid for the 23-year-old Brazilian as they are keen to get rid of a player who criticised the Portuguse club on his exit.

Orman says that his club do not have the funds to meet the demands.

Talisca has scored 10 goals for Besiktas this season.

There's no doubting he's done OK at Stoke, although has still made the odd mistake. I remember him getting done at his near post from a free kick a couple of weeks ago. I'm not against replacing Ikeme, I just think that Grant who has had a purple patch is the answer

I can't see Grant dropping down a league after a good year in the prem. I truly and probably controversially believe that we would be better with a goalkeeper whose main asset was commanding his area rather than anything else. Speroni? Always struck me as a bit nuts and capable of controlling defences. For those against Ruddy just look how well Green has done this year given a new challenge. Martinez is a great shout but I fear that ship has sailed. If you want a cheap option Blackman? At Wycombe is big and gobby.Cheap too.Norris at Cambridge has been really good this season too. I just can't see a premier keeper coming here that would be an upgrade. It may mean taking a bit of a punt. Hell, Hahnneman had let in shed loads for Reading the previous year but did really well foir us on a free.

Speroni is 38 next month and has played two games in two years pretty much. I think we can discount that one.

I will be amazed if we don't move for Ruddy.

I will be suicidal if we move for Button (Fulham)

I will send out the invites for my funeral if we try to sign Brad Jones.

I will be amazed if we don't move for Ruddy.

I will be suicidal if we move for Button (Fulham)

I will send out the invites for my funeral is we try to sign Brad Jones.

Surely if you were deceased you could not send out invites, unless you are one of the undead...!!

I will send out the invites for my funeral is we try to sign Brad Jones.

Show some respect man...first choice keeper for the team top of the Eredivisie. They won 8-0 yesterday as well, clearly free to attack knowing they have a class keeper to back them up.

Surely if you were deceased you could not send out invites, unless you are one of the undead...!!

Ouija board? Spirit writing? Via a medium? For the imaginative corpse, willing to think outside the box (ahem), there are a few options.

My target list for this summer:

Holding Midfielders -

Miguel Veloso - Mendes man and out of contract this summer
Aaron Mooy - doing great at Huddersfield on loan from City
Pele - Will they go back for him ?
Nathaniel Chalobah - needs a new permanent home as he will not be quite good enough for Chelsea

Left Back - Greg Cunningham at Preston or Zeki Fryers

CB - I assume Lambert will go for Grant Hanley but what about these alternatives ?

CB - Thomas Kalas
CB - Daniel Ayala
CB - Phil Jagielka

ST - Sebastian Haller
ST - Tammy Abraham

I don't know if a holding midfielder is what we need, necessarily. We'll have Saiss and probably/possible Price next season - the former is very good (albeit with limitations in terms of forward movement, a bit like a more cultured Karl Henry I suppose); while Price, well, he's not bad, but his limitations are starting to be evident, and as I mentioned earlier in this thread that, at 24, this is probably him entering his peak. Evans is a couple of years younger and seems to do the passing from deep and tackling thing just as well, but he looks to have more potential to improve on top of that. And, if we improve our defence with a better CB and LB, that's inevitably going to take some of the pressure off of the midfield to be quite as destructive (especially for Saiss, who I think has more to his game than just carrying water).

It's the position next to that role that's most important, in my view, as long as we stick with this formation - and we probably should, it seems to work well for us, and interestingly it's not far off what we had during our best spell with Jackett. We were, on paper, a 4-4-2 for that half-season, Dicko and Afobe up front, Sako left, Henry right, but it was very fluid and ended up more of a 4-3-3, with the three pure attackers given license to interchange and run at defences while Henry roamed behind them (like Marshall is for us now) keeping things ticking with his passes.

What we need in that role next to Saiss/Evans/Price/New Player X is someone who can do what Edwards does, but with more technical skill. Shuttle around, pressing the opposition, making interceptions and trying to get back possession, while also moving up and down the pitch - a lot - all game to be the link between attack and defence. (This is why we look so bad when Edwards is in that number 10 role - he can't do the creative laying off of the ball that a Marshall/Cavaleiro/Ronan does, and instead spends his time floating around the box waiting for crosses to get on the end of, while none of our other midfielders do the Duracell bunny up-and-down to link the creative attackers with the less-creative defenders that keeps us ticking.) In theory, it's the *perfect* role for Prince Oniangue, and I still have hopes he'll come back and be the upgrade on Edwards we've desperately needed for the last couple of years.

Otherwise, assuming we release Saville (because there's no reason at all to give him a new contract, he's just taking up space on the bench for a youth player) and sell another midfielder (maybe Price?), then we might get away with just Saiss and Evans for that deeper role as long as a more technically-gifted player is in that other slot next to them.

I think we need as a priority :-

GK

LB
RCB

DCM

Striker

My starting team would then be

New gk

New lb
Hause
New RCB
Coady (not a priority replacement)

Saiss
New DCM

Marshall
Cavaleiro
Costa

New striker/zyro

Bench

Ikeme
Graham
Weizmann
Ronan
Price/Evans
Mgw
Baath

Last edited:
Andy, feel free to include Jordan Graham and Michał Żyro who should both be fully fit come the start of next season. Zyro can play as a central forward and proved his finishing in his first two starts for us. Shame that MK thug broke him

Andy, feel free to include Jordan Graham and Michał Żyro who should both be fully fit come the start of next season. Zyro can play as a central forward and proved his finishing in his first two starts for us. Shame that MK thug broke him

Thanks, totally forgot about them!

Problem with that is that both have been out for a long time & no knowing whether they can come back in & be the same player (we have seen with Dicko how difficult that is) - unless either can come back within the next couple of games then they won't have much chance to show that this season & will prove to be a dilemma when we get to the transfer window in the summer as to how much reliance you can put on them

Problem with that is that both have been out for a long time & no knowing whether they can come back in & be the same player (we have seen with Dicko how difficult that is) - unless either can come back within the next couple of games then they won't have much chance to show that this season & will prove to be a dilemma when we get to the transfer window in the summer as to how much reliance you can put on them

I think they all need a preseason, dicko included, before any judgments can be made.

I think all we need attacking wise is a top striker, we have enough good players fighting for the 3 other spots

Our priority in the transfer window has to be defensively

I really hope both Zyro and Graham come back and have an impact but we can't rely on that especially if Costa goes. Dicko still isn't right and may never be, serious injuries can do that. If there is another Helder out there and we can bag him then we should do whatever it takes.

I would love Chris Martin in a Wolves shirt I just think he would suit our style of play.

Other than that GK, LB, CB,CM as a minimum no more squad players please ferret face.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back