• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Another LWB is absolutely crucial.

We're OK on the other side with Phil, Doherty and Marshall as options, but the whole balance of the team would be lost if we had to use Doc over there.

Very impressed with Douglas so far. Neat and tidy on the ball and has a lovely delivery on him.

I think Graham could play that role if necessary, in the same way Moses does for Chelsea on the other side

I think we'll sign Heise. Dresden are playing silly buggers but they don't have the clout to hold off for too long.

3-4-3 in the 2 pre season games so far.

Most 3-4-3 are disguised 4-3-3 specially when the team is without ball. Usually either the RM or LM act like a full back. To me a true 3-4-3 plays only 1 CB and 2 full backs. Old school dutch style. Really hard to pull off.

Most 3-4-3 are disguised 4-3-3 specially when the team is without ball. Usually either the RM or LM act like a full back. To me a true 3-4-3 plays only 1 CB and 2 full backs. Old school dutch style. Really hard to pull off.

He's started out playing three centre backs and two wing/full backs.

This is very different and is very much 3-4-3. It's 3 true centre backs with 2 wing backs like Spurs and Chelsea. You can see it quite clearly when we don't have the ball and essentially we play with 4 behind the striker in attack with the wide men providing width as seen with Douglas crossing for Dicko. Both inside forwards were in the opposition third too.

It's a refreshing change to see this tactic used correctly and the 3 centre backs involve a ball playing centre back who can step forward as well as two players who can stop crosses from wide positions. We have defensive midfielders that can drop in to centre back positions too.

We started off with Roderick as the central defender with Boly and Bennett either side. The wing backs were pushed high up the pitch, our LB assisted the first goal and our RB scored the second.

We started off with Roderick as the central defender with Boly and Bennett either side. The wing backs were pushed high up the pitch, our LB assisted the first goal and our RB scored the second.

I thought we looked very much like Chelsea in the first half.

To me chelsea plays a disguised 433. With Alonso as a LB (like darmian did in conte's italy)and azpi as the RB. Pay attention how the team reacts when losing the ball. Even the defending basculating movement is typical 433. Moses most of the times goes to center pitch without ball. Almost acting like the third CM.

Any place i can watch the friendlies highlights?

I thought we looked very much like Chelsea in the first half.

Very similar, aye. I thought it suited Cavaleiro perfectly, such a nuisance for defenders when he drifts into pockets of space.

To me chelsea plays a disguised 433. With Alonso as a LB and azpi as the RB. Pay attention how the team reacts when losing the ball. Even the defending basculating movement is typical 433. Moses most of the times goes to center pitch without ball. Almost acting like the third CM.

Any place i can watch the friendlies highlights?

I'm not sure you can watch them abroad until Wolves put them up on YouTube.

If you think Chelsea are 4-3-3 then I think you need to watch them again as Luiz definitely sits in the middle of Cahill and Azpi. I can suggest reading Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson if you can get a Portuguese version, explains 3 centre backs very well.

If you think Chelsea are 4-3-3 then I think you need to watch them again as Luiz definitely sits in the middle of Cahill and Azpi. I can suggest reading Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson if you can get a Portuguese version, explains 3 centre backs very well.

Its not 433. But imo its an hybrid and defends with 4 men. I respect Wilson opinion but I have my own.

Here is conte against Belgium:

IMG_20170715_192324.JPG

It sounds like SLB has been watching real football all of his life.

Fair enough. You and I aren't going to agree on this so there is no point in carrying on.

Thats ok. Thats why its the beautiful game.

Just one last tip. Formation is all about occupying space. To me the real formation of a team is clear when it doesnt have ball. Because when attacking you want to create space so its natural to have a bit of a mix on the players positions. Conte's 3-4-3 defends as almost all 4atb teams defend. When attacking having that extra man on the wing is quite an advantage and its key to his system success. Please do pay attention to Moses when Chelsea loses the ball. Specially when it happens on the left hand side.

And try and watch Porto's match with Co Adrianse. That was a real 3-4-3 imo. Or some Barcelona games back in Koeman days.

Didnt really get that?

It means decent passing football and good technique is in your culture. It is what you know and it comes natural to you. Johnny does know a hell of a lot about football, but is nice to hear from someone, who has real football in there DNA.
You will be all right on this forum, just don't mention corruption( in the EU) hahaha, and if you have any olive trees, keep it to yourself.

Back