• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

It takes about £8.40 to get betting suspended on Championship transfer markets

I'd say been suspended is totally different to the price dropping very low.

Makes sense there's something to this with Reading suddenly switching to Bodvarsson and making an effort to nick in and get him just when we were about to send him out to Ipswich. Something must have blocked their Oliveira interest and now they need an emergency backup.

The carousel is starting to turn...

Oliveira is a decent footballer. Slower than a barge though. We're going to have to go possession heavy because there's no way he'd work in a counter-attacking team.

0a97e1a0609c5b1956f728738daefe36.png

Oliveira is a decent footballer. Slower than a barge though. We're going to have to go possession heavy because there's no way he'd work in a counter-attacking team.

Is he really that slow? I guess he offers a different proposition to dicko though and lots of people seem to rate him.

It does seem like an upgrade on bodvarsson

Makes sense. Oliveira was off to Reading, but they've now got Bod and we're desperate for a forward so he's bound to be linked to us.

I'd be happy with Oliveira on a perm and Ugbo on loan. Two very different forwards, mix them in with Dicko and that's a good variety of talent for us to be heading in to the season with.

Not quite the levels of Aboubakar or Negredo but I seriously doubt we were ever in for them. Lets try and stay realistic.

Is he really that slow? I guess he offers a different proposition to dicko though and lots of people seem to rate him.

It does seem like an upgrade on bodvarsson

Yes he is slow. Painfully slow. But not as slow as Negredo who not only is a nonsense link, but I wouldn't want anyway.

With the standard YouTube caveats he looks like an intelligent footballer who knows where the goal is.

Im reminded ever so slightly of David kelly

With the standard YouTube caveats he looks like an intelligent footballer who knows where the goal is.

Im reminded ever so slightly of David kelly

Which brings me back to my previous point, because all we did with David Kelly was lamp the ball at him. And he had reasonable success in spite of that, but if we'd actually played to his strengths, who knows.

If we have Oliveira as part of our front three (as I think we'll go either way, whether it's 3-4-3 or 4-3-3) then the fans are going to have to expect a very different style of main striker to that they've watched for the last 30 years and those behind him are going to have to play in a very specific way.

Hoof the ball, ask him to play on the shoulder, neither of those are going to work. He'll need the ball into feet, he'll need the ball in the final third and he'll need loads of runners off him.

We've a few nice squad numbers free at the moment - 3 5 7 8 12 13 15 and, of course, 63
Not to mention the possibility of 6 and 10 coming free any time soon...

What do you think?

As a player, I would have him. Over 72 Portuguese caps at different levels. Romario wasn't fast, but his technique and positioning was out of this world.
La Coruña is very close to Portugal, it's regional language is almost identical to Portuguese, even though it is in Spain. For that reason, playing for Coruña doesn't necessarily mean Mendes is his agent, that is why I asked.

Which brings me back to my previous point, because all we did with David Kelly was lamp the ball at him. And he had reasonable success in spite of that, but if we'd actually played to his strengths, who knows.

If we have Oliveira as part of our front three (as I think we'll go either way, whether it's 3-4-3 or 4-3-3) then the fans are going to have to expect a very different style of main striker to that they've watched for the last 30 years and those behind him are going to have to play in a very specific way.

Hoof the ball, ask him to play on the shoulder, neither of those are going to work. He'll need the ball into feet, he'll need the ball in the final third and he'll need loads of runners off him.

I fully expect us to not be smashing the ball at the centre forward this season. We should have enough quality in the team to actually pass it about a bit.

As a player, I would have him. Over 72 Portuguese caps at different levels. Romario wasn't fast, but his technique and positioning was out of this world.
La Coruña is very close to Portugal, it's regional language is almost identical to Portuguese, even though it is in Spain. For that reason, playing for Coruña doesn't necessarily mean Mendes is his agent, that is why I asked.

Now I may be wrong, but I'm guessing Jinky's question was related to the 'Is Mendes his agent' Question.

I don't think he's that slow tbh. He's not fast but he's not quite at Jamie O'Hara levels. He's a bit of a sulky fucker though, big ego to match his talent. Reminds me of a Portuguese Jay Bothroyd.

Back