• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Tbf I'm not sure my tens of readers want to hear me banging on about Doherty again just because the most clickbaity site in the world has put out yet another awful article. It can wait until he leaves. Or plays for us again. Or annoys me for some other reason. Or I think of an easy joke that includes him in some way.

For those who ever want to get into this game (and it's highly lucrative, honest. Look at me with my playboy lifestyle), this is how you deconstruct a piece of shit article like that. I'm not wasting my own bandwidth on it though.

It was no surprise that Helder Costa walked away with Wolves’ Player of the Year award after a stellar 2016/17. The Portuguese winger, who made his loan move from Benfica permanent in January for a club-record £13 million (BBC), was a rare bright spark in a disappointing season at Molineux.

Decent start Danny. Factual. Although "club record" shouldn't be hyphenated. Shame it's all downhill from there.

However, some supporters may claim that Matt Doherty should have come a close second. The Irishman scored four goals and produced another four assists last season, adapting superbly to a hitherto unfamiliar left-back role.

Ok, three things there.

1) Our Player of the Year awards are, God help us, voted for by the fans. Doherty didn't get in the top three. So not that many fans can have thought he should have come second.

2) It wasn't that unfamiliar a role, he played there for the second half of the previous season. You know, the one where he won the Player of the Year award (wrongly, as it happens).

3) "Superbly"?! Lolz. I don't think you've ever watched him.

Therefore, reports in the Express and Star that Wolves could sell the 25-year-old this summer have come as a major shock.

A shock to who, exactly? We've been shite for two years. The only constant across that period is the wanky players that were here for all that time. Doherty being one of them. Paul Lambert had even said that he didn't see Doherty as a left back before he left.

The report claims that Doherty, along with long-serving captain Danny Batth and versatile forward Joe Mason, are at risk of being farmed out and replaced by new additions.

Oh noes, whatever shall we do. Mason started nine league games last season and as we've signed two centre halves with a third on the way, it doesn't take a genius to work out that Batth is in peril.

Wolves are embarking on a major overhaul of their playing squad after finishing down in mid-table last term. And German publication Bild claims that the Midlands side have made a bid of £3 million for Dynamo Dresden left-back Philip Heise.

The 26-year-old, who has represented Stuttgart inthe Bundesliga, impressed in the second division last season and has reportedly caught the eye of a number of other English clubs.

However, Heise has spent his entire professional career in Germany and any signing of this nature comes with a risk.

Got to love this logic. Lionel Messi has spent his entire professional career in Spain. We'd best not bin Mason for him then, eh? God knows what Chelsea have been thinking all these years, signing all these players who've never played in England before.

Furthermore, why would Wolves let go of Doherty, a proven performer at Championship level who stood out last season, depart to make way for an untested import?

First up, this is fucking shit writing. Take the fragment out in the middle and your sentence makes no sense. Secondly, he's only proven to be shite at this level. Besides which, we've already bought a left back. If we buy another one, what does that mean for the one who was already here? You clown.

Wolves paid the price last season for bringing in too many players without Championship experience and it appears that the mistakes may be repeating themselves.

Er, no. We paid the price for continuing to have too much reliance on the players we owned who have Championship experience. You even say that our best player was Costa, you know, a whole 300 words or so ago.

2/10.

For those who ever want to get into this game (and it's highly lucrative, honest. Look at me with my playboy lifestyle), this is how you deconstruct a piece of $#@! article like that. I'm not wasting my own bandwidth on it though.

Decent start Danny. Factual. Although "club record" shouldn't be hyphenated. Shame it's all downhill from there.

Ok, three things there.

1) Our Player of the Year awards are, God help us, voted for by the fans. Doherty didn't get in the top three. So not that many fans can have thought he should have come second.

2) It wasn't that unfamiliar a role, he played there for the second half of the previous season. You know, the one where he won the Player of the Year award (wrongly, as it happens).

3) "Superbly"?! Lolz. I don't think you've ever watched him.

A shock to who, exactly? We've been $#@!e for two years. The only constant across that period is the $#@!y players that were here for all that time. Doherty being one of them. Paul Lambert had even said that he didn't see Doherty as a left back before he left.

Oh noes, whatever shall we do. Mason started nine league games last season and as we've signed two centre halves with a third on the way, it doesn't take a genius to work out that Batth is in peril.

Got to love this logic. Lionel Messi has spent his entire professional career in Spain. We'd best not bin Mason for him then, eh? God knows what Chelsea have been thinking all these years, signing all these players who've never played in England before.

First up, this is $#@!ing $#@! writing. Take the fragment out in the middle and your sentence makes no sense. Secondly, he's only proven to be $#@!e at this level. Besides which, we've already bought a left back. If we buy another one, what does that mean for the one who was already here? You clown.

Er, no. We paid the price for continuing to have too much reliance on the players we owned who have Championship experience. You even say that our best player was Costa, you know, a whole 300 words or so ago.

2/10.

:clap: :icon_lol:

Yeah, Barry Douglas must be destined for the U23's because he clearly missed that signing!

Interesting we are looking at playing 3 CBs makes me wonder how Costa and Graham will fit in??

...................New Striker.......................
Graham................................Costa.........
...............Neves.........Ronan..................
Douglas..................................Ofosu....
............Hause....Boly...Miranda............
........................Ikeme.............................

Something like that maybe??

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

So would £15.8m be a record signing for this division?

Interesting we are looking at playing 3 CBs makes me wonder how Costa and Graham will fit in??

...................New Striker.......................
Graham................................Costa.........
...............Neves.........Ronan..................
Douglas..................................Ofosu....
............Hause....Boly...Miranda............
........................Ikeme.............................

Something like that maybe??

I'm not sure you would get the best out of either Costa or Graham in that formation with them tucking in, I could see it suiting Cav and Ronan though. Spiers has gone down the line of us playing 3/5 at the back based on signings so far and the total number of central defenders we now have. This may be correct, however I'm sure I've read he doesn't favour this formation so an alternative explanation is he's signed his first choice centre halves - all the rest he has inherited and will keep a couple of Batth, Hause, EEL and Bennett around and bin the other two. If he didn't think the centre halves we had were good enough the number on the books is irrelevant.

I'm not sure you would get the best out of either Costa or Graham in that formation with them tucking in, I could see it suiting Cav and Ronan though. Spiers has gone down the line of us playing 3/5 at the back based on signings so far and the total number of central defenders we now have. This may be correct, however I'm sure I've read he doesn't favour this formation so an alternative explanation is he's signed his first choice centre halves and all the rest he has inherited and will keep a couple of Batth, Hause, EEL and Bennett around and bin the other two. If he didn't think the centre halves we had were good enough the number on the books is irrelevant.
Ah ok did Nuno not suggest it? I can't watch his interview for some reason. I am not personally a fan of 3 CBs but then with Miranda and Saiss on the books maybe they push a little further forwards? I do think not utilising Costa and Graham as out and out wingers would be a waste. I guess we won't know till we start playing some friendlies.

Tim *thinks" he might play it.

He hasn't done it in the past or if he has it certainly isn't his go to formation. He could well be ensuring he has the players to play in that formation but it could equally mean that Batth is joining EEL on his way out

Miranda - Hause - Bennett - Boly as the 4 main CB's. Iorfa would be classed as a back up to those as well and if we play a 3, he can easily slot in on the right hand side of that anyway. We also have Saiss, who plays in the 3 for Morocco, for outright emergencies.

I'm not sure you would get the best out of either Costa or Graham in that formation with them tucking in, I could see it suiting Cav and Ronan though. Spiers has gone down the line of us playing 3/5 at the back based on signings so far and the total number of central defenders we now have. This may be correct, however I'm sure I've read he doesn't favour this formation so an alternative explanation is he's signed his first choice centre halves - all the rest he has inherited and will keep a couple of Batth, Hause, EEL and Bennett around and bin the other two. If he didn't think the centre halves we had were good enough the number on the books is irrelevant.

You could go 3-4-3 with Costa and Graham either side of a front three. I think that kind of formation would suit Zyro as it means the front three could interchange, and all of the aforementioned three are capable of playing those positions. The four could then be Douglas - Nevas - Ronan/Saiss - Ofosu. I'm just speculating, though.

The fact that we think that we might have players to debate a change in formation is a revelation. If we had been discussing this with those here at the end of last season then we would have been laughing hysterically at the idea.

As to CB's suspect that 2 will go - Batth & EEL for me as of those who were here last year only Hause has the possibility of getting any better.

I thought I'd read the Nuno favours the team being comfortable with several formations, which they play depending on the opponents and match situation. Personally can't see CC and DB having any trouble at all adapting to a fluid formation with slick interpassing,,,

I thought I'd read the Nuno favours the team being comfortable with several formations, which they play depending on the opponents and match situation. Personally can't see CC and DB having any trouble at all adapting to a fluid formation with slick interpassing,,,

I suspect you're right. I think we currently have a front three who could play and swap positions comfortably (I still think there's more to come from Zyro but want to add another striker regardless). I don't know enough about Douglas and Ofosu to know whether they can play wingback comfortably.

Part of me kind of wants to see Doherty there just to see if it actually pushes Deutsch over the edge.

It's not to say he won't play three at the back, but he's done it in one league match and two cup ties at Valencia in his entire managerial career so far, not once did he use it at Porto or Rio Ave. It gets raised on Twitter quite a bit, people claim they've seen "Portuguese journalists" saying that he prefers three at the back, he quite clearly doesn't (and they never provide a link to these claims).

I hope we don't go down that road, I don't think it fits what we have. No point at all butchering the rest of the team just so we can fit an extra CH in.

As Kenny says, in an ideal world you're always looking for four senior, first team centre halves who you're comfortable with playing at any time and in any combination. I very much doubt EEL will impress him, Batth probably doesn't want to be stuck down the pecking order at this stage of his career (and is expendable), they get pied off and that leaves you with your four.

What formation(s) did he play at Porto, out of interest?

Back