• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

At the risk of sounding like a moaning whinging molmix wannabe, the only bad thing about our current good form is that it MAY mask the deep seated deficiencies that are still in the squad.
Keeper
Left Back
Centre Half
Centre Midfield
Centre Forward

Thats if we keep Costa Weimann and Cav!

The squad needs those to have half a chance of challenging.

Bit pessimistic but I'm worried players like Danny and Dave are now cementing their place as a starter for next season when the truth is they both need to be out the XI and replaced by better players.

Bit pessimistic but I'm worried players like Danny and Dave are now cementing their place as a starter for next season when the truth is they both need to be out the XI and replaced by better players.
As I have said before a Top 6 side can carry a couple of Coady, Ikeme, Doherty, Edwards (the further back version) and Batth in its regular starting 11 they can't carry all of them though. The noises Lambert is making would suggest we are only going to get around 3 first team signings, meaning some of them will still be in the team at the start of next season unless a couple of the kids come through.

If it's only 3 then for me it has to be CF, CM, LB. I'd like to see a 'keeper too.

If we lose Costa then we need to replace him also. That'll be 5. Hopefully the new DoF and Mendes will have some good ideas.

I'm not sure CM will happen. We have Evans Price Saiss and Edwards for those spots plus we still own Oniangue and he may get a chance after his return from loan. Then there is Jack Price and Saville there as well. If Evans and Saiss is the starting two that is a lot of backup.

GK and full backs, plus maybe a striker are actually the key

Based on Lambert's words and actions, I expect the following:
A left back, he has said he doesn't like a right footed player there. My worry is he'll move Doherty to the other side.
A centre half, he's dropped Batth on more than one occasion and doesn't seem to have the faith in Williamson doing a job week in week out. It won't be popular on here, but I think he'll sign Hanley from Newcastle
A Centre Forward if he thought Wiemann was a long term option at 9, having worked with him before he would have moved him there earlier than he did. Bod and Dicko have been given so many chances that he must see anything from them next year as a bonus.

If Costa goes, like most others I think we'll get a Mendes replacement, who hopefully will be close to being as good.

I don't expect a RB, keeper or centre mid.

Keeper is one of the most important signings this summer for me. A good keeper can get you ten points on his own - ikeme has probably cost us that instead. He's just nowhere near good enough.

Ikeme and Lonergan are shit and Burgoyne is way way too young.

Keeper is essential recruitment.

Keeper is one of the most important signings this summer for me. A good keeper can get you ten points on his own - ikeme has probably cost us that instead. He's just nowhere near good enough.

He's also constantly injured. Has he ever played a full season for us without breaking down at least once?

Based on Lambert's words and actions, I expect the following:
A left back, he has said he doesn't like a right footed player there. My worry is he'll move Doherty to the other side.
A centre half, he's dropped Batth on more than one occasion and doesn't seem to have the faith in Williamson doing a job week in week out. It won't be popular on here, but I think he'll sign Hanley from Newcastle
A Centre Forward if he thought Wiemann was a long term option at 9, having worked with him before he would have moved him there earlier than he did. Bod and Dicko have been given so many chances that he must see anything from them next year as a bonus.

If Costa goes, like most others I think we'll get a Mendes replacement, who hopefully will be close to being as good.

I don't expect a RB, keeper or centre mid.

I agree with you on the defenders and striker and I don't think we need a RB as Iorfa is a bloody good one if we can get him playing. Hopefully with the removal of some of the backroom staff Iorfa will be back playing instead of Coady.

We are desperate for a centre midfielder who has the dynamism to link play and I think it's too much to hope this is just on Ronan. I would go balls out for Loftus-Cheek or Mooy on loan as they could well be the missing piece. To not get a central midfielder would be a very poor window and incredibly short-sighted. I also don't think we'll get anywhere near promotion until we do as it is no coincidence we have performed poorly without a quality player (who can be bothered) in there. See Jones; David.

Well if 3 is the magic number I would go CB, LB, ST I think. Unfortunately that means no GK and I'll just have to hope Dave is benched and brought on for late energy (with which I'd be OK, if that was actually the case).

I think we have enough going forward to challenge top 6 and should only replace Costa if he goes.

We need a massive overhaul defensively and have done for as long as I can remember. So new GK, CB, & LB please as I do not think they would bring in 2 CB's

Midfield is a tough one as we have plenty of bodies, maybe a new box to box complete CM type

Team

New GK (must)
Iorfa
New LB (must)
New CB
Hause or Williamson or Batth
Saiss
New CM
Costa (poss replacement)
Cav
Marshall
Weimann or Dicko

I think Wolves will look for a tall striker who can get on the end of a crossed ball and two left footed players, one at left back the other in midfield who can deliver a crossed ball.

Personally think we'll see four 'first team' signings - GK, LB, CH, ST. Would love a Mooy type signing but we've simply got too many midfielders currently to ship them all out in one window and reshape that department. Could leave us lining up something like this:

-----------New GK-----------

Iorfa New CH Hause New LB

--------Ronan--Saiss--------

Costa----Cavaleiro---- Marshall

------------New ST-----------

Subs - Ikeme, Batth, Doherty, Graham, Evans, Weimann, Dicko/JDB

Squad - Coady, Edwards, Bright, Zyro, MGW, Burgoyne, Ennis, Wilson, Herc, Mason. Though I'd expect loans to League One for Ennis, Wilson and Herc and Mason to be shown the exit door which would leave a squad of c23 players for PL to work with.

Personally think we'll see four 'first team' signings - GK, LB, CH, ST. Would love a Mooy type signing but we've simply got too many midfielders currently to ship them all out in one window and reshape that department.

This is the bit I don't agree with. Assuming Thelwell is toast and another man is coming in I would think Fosun would task them with just this. Saville is out of contract, Coady can fill in at RB so doesn't really count. Price, Prince and Evans could easily get season long loans in this division and if not Lg1 or abroad which only leaves Saiss, Edwards and Ronan for 2 spots.

I've just placed a bulk order for popcorn to cover the eventuality that Thelwell is here next season.

This is the bit I don't agree with. Assuming Thelwell is toast and another man is coming in I would think Fosun would task them with just this. Saville is out of contract, Coady can fill in at RB so doesn't really count. Price, Prince and Evans could easily get season long loans in this division and if not Lg1 or abroad which only leaves Saiss, Edwards and Ronan for 2 spots.

Price is out of contract too. I thought he'd get an extension from the way Lambert praises him, but I'm kind of sceptical that we'll hold onto anyone now if they haven't inked a new deal by this stage of the season. We haven't even activated our free option for a further year.

Next year we'll definitely have Edwards, Saiss, Evans, and then Prince and Coady still contracted but not necessarily playing for us in midfield, for different reasons. We've got Enobakhare and Ronan now on the edge of the squad too, but they're competing for that number 10 slot, not the two deeper roles. We may well not just have space for someone else there, we may actively need to go and get somebody to ensure proper depth.

Ah my mistake, and apparently we also have a year's option to potentially take it to 2019 if we want: http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/price-reward-2528093.aspx

So, bye George Saville, but otherwise one or two are going to have to make way and you have to think Price might be one of them unfortunately (I'm a fan, but he's 24 now, and he's probably as good as he's ever going to be).

Oh yeah, I'd probably say goodbye too. His game hasn't really moved on since 2014 and we only need one of him or Evans.

Wouldn't bother with Saville's extension personally. I don't actively dislike him but he isn't ever going to be a mainstay of a decent team at this level.

Back