• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

presumably we offered over the odds because if we only match a Premier League club's offer we'd have no chance of getting him.

as it is, based only on reading twitter comments, it sounds like he'd rather wait out for a Premier League or equivalent club so has asked us for ridiculous wages.

According to reports he was offered £25k per week (£1.3m per year). We paid players £40k per week when Mick was here so I don't see a problem for the right players, in paying more if we want.

Surely that sort of thinking only comes into play on wages?

In Benfica would accept say £10m from a PL club why would they want any extra from a lower club?

i'm suggesting it's OUR tactic to gazump a PL club. you're not going to achieve that by £500k. we're trying to put them off matching our bid.

benfica will take the maximum on offer.

According to reports he was offered £25k per week (£1.3m per year). We paid players £40k per week when Mick was here so I don't see a problem for the right players, in paying more if we want.

could be complete bollocks but somewhere on twitter it suggested he asked for £95k p/w. I think from a Portuguese site. how the hell they would know though....

i'm suggesting it's OUR tactic to gazump a PL club. you're not going to achieve that by £500k. we're trying to put them off matching our bid.

benfica will take the maximum on offer.

I imagine they'll take whatever matches their value.

If Wolves offer twice as much as Liverpool but the player only wants to go to Liverpool then it's irrelevant, it's not like they're selling an item and they just palm it off to the highest bidder, their goods can refuse to to go.

I imagine they'll take whatever matches their value.

If Wolves offer twice as much as Liverpool but the player only wants to go to Liverpool then it's irrelevant, it's not like they're selling an item and they just palm it off to the highest bidder, their goods can refuse to to go.

that's what I said wasn't it? "he'd rather wait out for a Premier league club.."?

but that's a separate point - I imagine we offered much more to get to talk to him as without that preferential offer to benfica, he'd just choose the PL team.

have benfica accepted an offer from Liverpool yet as I don't actually know if they have?

that's what I said wasn't it? "he'd rather wait out for a Premier league club.."?

but that's a separate point - I imagine we offered much more to get to talk to him as without that preferential offer to benfica, he'd just choose the PL team.

have benfica accepted an offer from Liverpool yet as I don't actually know if they have?

But that player preference overrides everything else.

It's completely pointless Wolves offering twice as much as a PL team, if Benfica will accept £10m from a PL team then they'd accept £10m from Wolves, if Talisca only wants to go to a PL team then he won't go to Wolves regardless of whether or not Benfica stand to profit more.

The only time it'd be worth Wolves pumping in the money is when discussing personal terms, double the salary might make a player think Wolves are more attractive than PL football.

I doubt Liverpool ever had anything more than a passing interest in Talisca. He's a very similar player to Wijnaldum.

But that player preference overrides everything else.

It's completely pointless Wolves offering twice as much as a PL team, if Benfica will accept £10m from a PL team then they'd accept £10m from Wolves, if Talisca only wants to go to a PL team then he won't go to Wolves regardless of whether or not Benfica stand to profit more.

The only time it'd be worth Wolves pumping in the money is when discussing personal terms, double the salary might make a player think Wolves are more attractive than PL football.

mark, you're just repeating what I said about him on personal preference as pointed out.

have benfica set his price at £10m in which case are you saying the club has overbid for no good reason?

I may be wrong but I have the impression that the new owners and their advisors are trying to put a team/squad together that will not only get promoted but also to survive in the Prem.

I suspect that they do not want to buy a team to set up and then buy another team to stay up and prosper in the Premier League

Persuading Prem quality players to join the new exciting Wolves project but you will need to play in the second division for at least a year is possibly proving to be a tough sell

mark, you're just repeating what I said about him on personal preference as pointed out.

have benfica set his price at £10m in which case are you saying the club has overbid for no good reason?

You started this off by saying Wolves would have to pay more than a PL side, I see no reasoning for this as explained above.

Benfica will have a price they deem acceptable regardless of where the money comes from, I used £10m as a random number plucked from nowhere, if Wolves decided to offer more than that it would give them no better chance of getting the player, Benfica may try and lean on the player to benefit themselves but if he doesn't want to go to that club then it's irrelevant how much they've bid.

The time and place for Wolves to throw money around over the odds is when discussing finances with players, not clubs, that's where they can use their money to try and overpower the lower league standing.

You started this off by saying Wolves would have to pay more than a PL side, I see no reasoning for this as explained above.

Benfica will have a price they deem acceptable regardless of where the money comes from, I used £10m as a random number plucked from nowhere, if Wolves decided to offer more than that it would give them no better chance of getting the player, Benfica may try and lean on the player to benefit themselves but if he doesn't want to go to that club then it's irrelevant how much they've bid.

The time and place for Wolves to throw money around over the odds is when discussing finances with players, not clubs, that's where they can use their money to try and overpower the lower league standing.

and if benfica haven't set a price his value isn't fixed so getting in early with an outlier well above his market value can be a tactic. i didn't say we have to pay more than a PL club but i suggested you can use the amount you offer to put other clubs off. i did say if there was a choice between us and a Prem League club we probably have no chance of getting the player. obviously you can always pay ridiculous wages but as i said and you've agreed with twice, that can make no difference.

TIM II ECK-SKLOO-SIVE!!!

@tim_spiers_Star 24s25 seconds ago
Walter Zenga confirmed that Benfica midfielder Joao Texeira has joined the club.

:icon_lol:

An actual real life Tim II Eck-Skloo-Sive. I can see that's made your day Langers.

It's like Easter, Christmas and Transfer Deadline day rolled into one.

Btw... STILL NOT SPENT A PENNAY. DOIN IT ON THE CHEAP AY WE.

and if benfica haven't set a price his value isn't fixed so getting in early with an outlier well above his market value can be a tactic. i didn't say we have to pay more than a PL club but i suggested you can use the amount you offer to put other clubs off. i did say if there was a choice between us and a Prem League club we probably have no chance of getting the player. obviously you can always pay ridiculous wages but as i said and you've agreed with twice, that can make no difference.

So we've finally agreed that Wolves could pointlessly throw loads of money at Benfica and it's all completely irrelevant because at the end of the day the player will decide where he wants to go?

Back