• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Doesn't matter who we sign if the system is wrong they won't play well. This is why I worry about Kenny being kept on last season we could and should have done better. Afobe wasn't scoring goals as he had no support, when these guys come in I only hope and pray Kenny has a plan on how to get the best out of them. Talisca is a no 10 so we will need the "strong" forward Kenny keeps talking about without him maybe it won't work.

I remain optimistic, all the speculation is a universe away from last season and if we only sign 2 key players I won't wet my pants I will celebrate. Still plenty of time to get some players to get us up there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Pelé is said to be signing on a permanent transfer.

According to O Jogo, the deal is done, and the Wolves will pay €2m for the 24-year-old .

Pelé is said to be signing on a permanent transfer.

According to O Jogo, the deal is done, and the Wolves will pay €2m for the 24-year-old .

Probably a similar fee to what we'll get for Coady. Lets hope he's an upgrade!

and this year's attempt to replace Jack Price award goes to....

I assume he can trap a ball and can actually protect the back four rather than ineffectual charging about, so yeah.

Keep wondering about our potential new lineup, for Rotherham. Something like this...

Ikeme
Iorfa - Batth - Hause - Silvio
Price - Pele
Wallace - Talisca - Costa
Mason​

...seems Not Bad, right?

Except Jackett's been setting the team up exclusively as a 4-4-2 through pre-season, and has repeatedly said the objective for pre-season was to get the team playing with two up top again (even though we've only had one fit striker).

I really wouldn't put it past him to persevere with Henry and Mason up top, unfortunately.

I'm disconcerted that an agent might be telling us who to buy. Surely that's a conflict of interest?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

That is what I was trying to say. So what is Thelwells job? And if we are signing players that KJ does not necessarily want, then how will it work? I am sure that it will all work out for the best, but will it do so with Thelwell and Jackett still at the club? It just seems a little confusing at the moment.

@Proslo - If he did that he'd get the boot inside 2 weeks.

The E&S Story from this morning has been amended to say Pele is permanent the other two loans

I seem to be flitting between parallel universes at the moment. In one of them we're using Thelwell's list and Twitter says we've bid 500k for McGugan from SWFC. in the other it's the Mendes list and we've just dipped into the petty cash to buy Talisca for a gazillion euros...

Probably a similar fee to what we'll get for Coady. Lets hope he's an upgrade!

Coady going nowhere currently. His agent is aware it's not looking great for him currently in terms of first team starts so took the chance to go public on his player, attempting to drum up interest rather than commenting on current interest I think.

@Proslo - If he did that he'd get the boot inside 2 weeks.

I'm storing up a really, really big groan for about an hour before we kick off against Rotherham. Can't wait to unleash it when I see the lineup he actually goes with.

If we've got Pelé for 2m that's an absurdly good deal.

A manager he's worked with?

He's an agent not club staff

He had all these players lined up already while the deal was going through, there's no way these type of deals go through within a week. He also had Lopetegui lined up for a reason. It's also been stated clearly that Mendes will be an agent we will work with.

I'm not going to pretend for a moment you thought I was under the impression that Mendes works for Wolves. His link to Mourinho is well documented, so relationships with managers are there. Mendes is pulling a lot of strings at Wolves now and if Jackett doesn't use the players that are brought in correctly he'll be toast, to be replaced by a manager Mendes will no doubt recommend.

Tim II still seems to think it will be finished tonight. I'm inclined to actually think he might know what he's about on this one.

He had all these players lined up already while the deal was going through, there's no way these type of deals go through within a week. He also had Lopetegui lined up for a reason. It's also been stated clearly that Mendes will be an agent we will work with.

I'm not going to pretend for a moment you thought I was under the impression that Mendes works for Wolves. His link to Mourinho is well documented, so relationships with managers are there. Mendes is pulling a lot of strings at Wolves now and if Jackett doesn't use the players that are brought in correctly he'll be toast, to be replaced by a manager Mendes will no doubt recommend.
Scary to think an outsider is having that much influence. There's no incentive for Mendes to do what's best for Wolves, he is just going to want to move his players round and make money.

He may well have some players under his influence that are better than what Wolves currently have on the books but that doesn't mean it's in the best interests of club to get them in. I'd be very worried about his motives for any prolonged/close involvement with Wolves and by proxy I have some reservations about Fosun if their priorities lie with Mendes rather than the club.

That is what I was trying to say. So what is Thelwells job? And if we are signing players that KJ does not necessarily want, then how will it work? I am sure that it will all work out for the best, but will it do so with Thelwell and Jackett still at the club? It just seems a little confusing at the moment.
Thelwell - You have to remember that before the takeover he was tasked with finding players, within a certain low budget, to fit into the areas KJ had requested. We know that Powell was close to joining us. What has happened now has raised the bar on who we are looking at. These are players that even if Morgan stayed and we were in the Prem we wouldn't have looked at because of them being out of our reach. So my guess on him, will be more about the future as Fosun arrived armed with a long list of potential signings. So once this period (end of August) is done it will go back to a similar way of working, just at a higher level. Dont forget he is also responsible fir bringing in players for all our age groups, not just the 1st team.

So KJ says he needs a right back...Thelwell will look and of course speak to Mendes. Then he will compile his usual profile on the player. He will be under pressure to prove he can work at the higher end of the market

KJ - Fosun have already said they have spoken to him about the squad and where it needs work. They have also said their long list is now shortened as they know what players they need. So no real change in his job here - he is telling the owners what positions he feels needs new signings - they sort it (currently from the Mendes list and then via Thelwell).

At no point, IMO of course, do I think players will be forced upon the team. All signings will he made as the Head Coach has told them the squad needs it.

Coady going nowhere currently. His agent is aware it's not looking great for him currently in terms of first team starts so took the chance to go public on his player, attempting to drum up interest rather than commenting on current interest I think.

Hopefully he's succeeded in drumming up interest then... ;)

Either way I can't see him lasting long at Wolves. Behind Price, Evans & Saville (and you've got to assume Edwards) so far in pre season even before we bring anyone in.

Scary to think an outsider is having that much influence. There's no incentive for Mendes to do what's best for Wolves, he is just going to want to move his players round and make money.

He may well have some players under his influence that are better than what Wolves currently have on the books but that doesn't mean it's in the best interests of club to get them in. I'd be very worried about his motives for any prolonged/close involvement with Wolves and by proxy I have some reservations about Fosun if their priorities lie with Mendes rather than the club.

Exactly, it's just another outlet for him. I think Fosun are probably relying on him at the moment as they're new to all this and what better advisor than one of football's most prestigious agents? No doubt where Mendes' loyalties lie but at this point in time it is a massive benefit to us he's opened up a previously unreachable new market when we need it most. If all we sign is Benfica reserves in his window then yeah it could point to a problem, but if bring in a couple of good domestic players as well then maybe we're using Mendes in the right way.

I personally don't think it's a concern at the moment but that could well change. But I'll stick by my opinion that Mendes will have a big hand in the next managerial appointment in the not too distant future.

Back