• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Not worth £17m ≠ Ill thought of.

I meant more as in a lot of Benfica fans wanted him replacing this year, aren't sure on what his preferred position is, said he wasn't good enough for a decent prem team and have been continually surprised by the links with big clubs and feel that's in part down to being Brazilian, that he had no real pace and the heart of a pea.

know I know whats good enough for the prem and Benfica is different to us, but does this lad scream the sort of qualities you'd want for that money, for a notoriously difficult league?

Sorry to be a downer on the parade but the more I thought about this the more I started to get apprehensive.

If Fosun try this approach and it doesn't work then they'll rip it up and try something else. They're here to make the club successful, not everything is going to come off but the ambition levels will pay in the end.

If Fosun try this approach and it doesn't work then they'll rip it up and try something else. They're here to make the club successful, not everything is going to come off but the ambition levels will pay in the end.

Yeah true, it will be easier to believe in the more we have of this. Hopefully they are genuine and not the Chinese Genky's!

I'm disconcerted that an agent might be telling us who to buy. Surely that's a conflict of interest?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I'm disconcerted that an agent might be telling us who to buy. Surely that's a conflict of interest?

Happens more than you think Vis. That's how these super agents operate. It would only be a conflict of interest if he owned part of the club directly and put his own players in there. Everything else is suggestion, albeit strong suggestions.

The interests of the club are to acquire good footballer's. The interests of an agent are to agree deals for players at football clubs. There appears to be a convergence of interests.

Our esteemed national manager predominantly used players signed up to Mark Curtis. Jose has always signed Mendes clients. As Johnny says, it's just networking like any other major business.

1st team players suggested by Mendes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>1st team players suggested by Thelwell

I suppose so. I guess I'm skeptical as to the strength of the feedback if he says buy player X, pockets his commission and he turns out to be a dud. Where is the due diligence from the wwfc side?

Just logged on after being out for the day expecting to see some Welcome to Wolves Random Foreigner threads. Boooo Fosun out.

Also, no way on earth are we signing Talisca.*

*Feel free to quote me on that when he signs tomorrow.

You would hope our scouts (who may well be very limited themselves) review the players and give an objective review. Alternatively the network of scouts and other directors of football will have opinions and they often talk about players and I'm sure some may be of use in this situation.

Depends on how good our network is really.

I suppose so. I guess I'm skeptical as to the strength of the feedback if he says buy player X, pockets his commission and he turns out to be a dud. Where is the due diligence from the wwfc side?

Would hope that there is someone inside the club doing relevant research on Mendes recommendations before the cheque is signed - though given what we bought last year that may not be the case!

Would hope that there is someone inside the club doing relevant research on Mendes recommendations before the cheque is signed - though given what we bought last year that may not be the case!

Phone Port Vale ask Bruno Ribeiro if Mendes is loading our club with his duds from elsewhere.

Jan Hagen @PortuBall · Talisca not present at Benfica presentation game vs Torino tonight. Neither is Jardel or Carcela. Going somewhere?

And Sako isn't in the Palace squad for their friendly tonight, either.

He's coming home I tell ya!

We've probably all got some suspicions re Mendes but bloody hell, these players appear to be far better than those we were looking at a month ago. I'm not assuming any of these players, especially the bigger names, until they're holding up the shirt but I'm far happier reading about Talesca than some L1 journeyman who we "might" be able to afford.

The fact of the matter is the squad we have (pre Fosun) was set for a similar finish or worse to last season. It needed a "quick" fix of quality players to put us into contention of the top 6 and beyond. Jeff Shi clearly sees this and, if we believe Mr Shi, so does Kenny Jackett if we're to believe the the quotes from Jeff on Monday relating to squad strengthening.

Long term I would hope that out scouting throughout the UK and Europe/The world is improved so we can get the very best players to compliment the youngsters we have coming through.

I said domestically, not championship journeyman. I just think that this sort of money for that sort of player is the sort of thing QPR would have done. They kept talking about how that M'Bia guy had once attracted the interest of Real Madrid, and that seemed to be the reason they were proud to have him, turned out to be garbage and ill suited to the team. This guy seems to be ill thought of by Benfica fans, and we seem to be keen on the idea of spending loads of money on him because we can. Him improving our currently poor side/squad isn't worth discussing in relative terms, as countless players would improve us.
M'Bia who went on to be Sevilla's best player en route to consecutive Europa wins.

Sometimes good players don't mesh with a team. It happens. You sell on and move on.

Back