• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2016 Window Thread

Exactly, it's just another outlet for him. I think Fosun are probably relying on him at the moment as they're new to all this and what better advisor than one of football's most prestigious agents? No doubt where Mendes' loyalties lie but at this point in time it is a massive benefit to us he's opened up a previously unreachable new market when we need it most. If all we sign is Benfica reserves in his window then yeah it could point to a problem, but if bring in a couple of good domestic players as well then maybe we're using Mendes in the right way.

I personally don't think it's a concern at the moment but that could well change. But I'll stick by my opinion that Mendes will have a big hand in the next managerial appointment in the not too distant future.
I'd have my reservations about Mendes' recommendations still, he may well be a leading agent but what footballing insight does he actually have?

I doubt 'what's best for Wolves' would even be in his top three considerations when putting player's names forward. He's in the business of building his bank balance not football teams. I worry costing up to wealthy owners might be a new alternative to 3rd party ownership for him to make money now.

Hopefully he's succeeded in drumming up interest then... ;)

Either way I can't see him lasting long at Wolves. Behind Price, Evans & Saville (and you've got to assume Edwards) so far in pre season even before we bring anyone in.

I'm not sure I buy Coady being frozen out. When last season ended, he was still an ever-present on the teamsheet; Jackett was talking about him as having the leadership skills to be a future captain.

That's why I think he's been playing with the U21s. Both because I can believe he'll have asked for as much game time as possible, and that I think the coaching staff see him as the most trustworthy senior player to have in those games to provide experience and grit. I also see him being used at right-back, due to the thinness of the squad, as another sign of Jackett's trust. Managers have favourites they lean on when necessary, and I've never not felt that Coady is one of Jackett's.

I'd have my reservations about Mendes' recommendations still, he may well be a leading agent but what footballing insight does he actually have?

I doubt 'what's best for Wolves' would even be in his top three considerations when putting player's names forward. He's in the business of building his bank balance not football teams. I worry costing up to wealthy owners might be a new alternative to 3rd party ownership for him to make money now.

He's undoubtedly going to make a lot of money out of this but he'll make a hell of a lot more if/when Wolves are successful.

He's undoubtedly going to make a lot of money out of this but he'll make a hell of a lot more if/when Wolves are successful.
He doesn't need any success at all, as long as the owners are willing to keep buying players then he can keep making money, even if every single one flops.

Even if Fosun are only in it to make a buck, at least you could see the potential for them to fund promotion and then have an asset with inflated value to sell on, so Wolves still win unless the next owner is a shithouse. Mendes doesn't need any sort of footballing success to provide his monetary gains though, he can just shuffle players through clubs he's built relationships and take a cut from everyone involved. He won't even be tainted by on the pitch failure because he's distant enough to avoid any blame there, he'd just end up moving the flops on somewhere else, for a fee of course.

That's generally how all football agents work though.

Surely the more successful Mendes' players are with us, the more we'll use him and the more money he'll make. If they all turn out to be flops in the English leagues then Fosun will soon cotton on and stop using him.

He doesn't need any success at all, as long as the owners are willing to keep buying players then he can keep making money, even if every single one flops.

Even if Fosun are only in it to make a buck, at least you could see the potential for them to fund promotion and then have an asset with inflated value to sell on, so Wolves still win unless the next owner is a shithouse. Mendes doesn't need any sort of footballing success to provide his monetary gains though, he can just shuffle players through clubs he's built relationships and take a cut from everyone involved. He won't even be tainted by on the pitch failure because he's distant enough to avoid any blame there, he'd just end up moving the flops on somewhere else, for a fee of course.

You're a very cynical man, has anyone ever told you that? :icon_lol:

Mendes has links with a lot of clubs, many of whom have the financial muscle to sign a player like Talisca, a player apparently coveted by a host of top sides. He could send Talisca to Monaco, Valencia, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool... All of them would pay the same money that we supposedly are but instead he's sending him our way. To me, that points to him having a vested interest in Wolves being as successful as possible.

Mendes is worth 95 million dollars according to Forbes so I doubt he's solely in this for the money. Doesn't necessarily stop him fleecing us on behalf of his clients though I suppose.

**If, of course, this is actually happening (Which it isn't. My official position up until anything actually changes).**

That's generally how all football agents work though.

They don't usually have such a close relationship with a club, if Wolves' primary means of getting new players in is by phoning uncle Jorge and asking who he's got available then, to me at least, it feels like they're setting up a situation that's ripe to be abused.

Surely the more successful Mendes' players are with us, the more we'll use him and the more money he'll make. If they all turn out to be flops in the English leagues then Fosun will soon cotton on and stop using him.

That's all dependent on Fosun's motives for owning the club, if they truly do want to get into the world of sports and want Wolves to be the very best team/club they can be then you would expect them not to tolerate any such failures and look elsewhere from Mendes if that happens. They are however an investment firm, so what if their primary motive is financial? Would it be possible for them to peddle Mendes' clients around and make a tidy profit on transfers? It seems that's what he used to do via 3rd party ownership, move his players where they made money rather than where was best for them in footballing terms.

The whole arrangement just seems a little bizarre to me at the moment, owners with no history in sports, potentially heavily influenced by a man who's main interest in football is the money, something just doesn't feel right.

You're a very cynical man, has anyone ever told you that? :icon_lol:

Mendes has links with a lot of clubs, many of whom have the financial muscle to sign a player like Talisca, a player apparently coveted by a host of top sides. He could send Talisca to Monaco, Valencia, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool... All of them would pay the same money that we supposedly are but instead he's sending him our way. To me, that points to him having a vested interest in Wolves being as successful as possible.

Or none of those more successful clubs would have any need for him? He can only make money if a team is actually going to sign him.

It's been said that many Benfica fans have mixed feelings at best on Talisca, if so I can't see him making much of a mark on any of those clubs, bar maybe Valencia, who you'd say are a level above Benfica.

Tim II with the shocking news that no deals will be completed tonight

You do realise Talisca is 22. Not exactly in his prime yet and he's played 52 games for Benfica. He can't be that bad can he.

The Cavaliero rumours have died it seems.

Or none of those more successful clubs would have any need for him? He can only make money if a team is actually going to sign him.

It's been said that many Benfica fans have mixed feelings at best on Talisca, if so I can't see him making much of a mark on any of those clubs, bar maybe Valencia, who you'd say are a level above Benfica.

In almost every article that has linked us with Talisca, Liverpool have been linked as well. He might not improve their team but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't buy him, it is Liverpool after all.

If he's just in it for the money as you say then it shouldn't matter whether the club has need of him or not. Why should he care if the player sits on the bench all season if he's getting his 10%?

Yeah, I was wondering about Cavaleiro too. For ages seemed the most serious of the rumours, now the takeover's gone through, his name's dropped away.

I mean, we do only need one left winger with Graham back in a couple of months I guess, and Costa fulfills that role maybe?

In almost every article that has linked us with Talisca, Liverpool have been linked as well. He might not improve their team but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't buy him, it is Liverpool after all.

If he's just in it for the money as you say then it shouldn't matter whether the club has need of him or not. Why should he care if the player sits on the bench all season if he's getting his 10%?

There could be a variety of reasons.

What if Liverpool aren't offering as much money he's convinced Wolves to offer? That's less commission for him.
Liverpool might have another agent brokering the deal on their behalf meaning Mendes is solely the players agent in that deal. Only one lot of commisson for him at Liverpool opposed to two here.
Could be a matter of control. One would assume he doesn't have the same influence at Liverpool as he may well have at Wolves, so if time comes to move his player on again in a couple of years that would presumably be easier for him to facilitate at a club where he has more influence.
In a similar vein, if he's looking to use Fosun's money to shuffle his players around he could be looking to win their favour early on so they trust him, a couple of names and conquests over more prestigious suitors and suddenly they might be hanging on his every recommendation.

I see it being a bit like a recruitment agent situation, end of the day they don't give a shit whether the individuals or companies they deal between end up better off, they just want to get paid for moving shit around.

M'Bia who went on to be Sevilla's best player en route to consecutive Europa wins.

Sometimes good players don't mesh with a team. It happens. You sell on and move on.

And the benefit to QPR of that was?

I thought the snag in the Liverpool side was the work permit. Less likely to play the games to bypass the lack of international appearances at Liverpool, were as presume he would be a regular here.

It's crazy just how little info they're getting at the moment. Can't think of a single rumour that's come from them at any point during preseason.

I feel for Tim II who is probably quite a good bloke. But the E&S are way behind with things at the mo.

Back