• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich (A) 31/10 Build-Up Thread #bogeyteam #mayaswellnotbother

Wow, is that for this season mate? I didn't realise we had the smallest pitch. I would have thought we've benefit from the biggest possible in this division and for our style?

If we were considering dropping Coady, who we all agree has leadership qualities, would the effect he has on the team from that point of view not come into the thought process?

The difference is that Coady has leadership qualities, Batth only has a leadership title.

Portman Road is a big pitch but I'm gobsmacked that it's 11 metres (!) wider than Molineux.

Hmm is this correct? does he always score against us?..
Qpr Pitch is bigger than ours, Burton Pitch is bigger than ours (maybe biggest in the league)
Its just the closeness of the stands that tricks the eye into this sort of thinking.

Every pitch in the Championship is bigger than ours. There is no pitch shorter than ours and our pitch is the narrowest. (100mx64m)

I have been saying for a while that we should widen our pitch, even more so now we have such good ball players.

BTW Burton's pitch is next smallest.

Every pitch in the Championship is bigger than ours. There is no pitch shorter than ours and our pitch is the narrowest. (100mx64m)

I have been saying for a while that we should widen our pitch, even more so now we have such good ball players.

I was quite surprised too, but perhaps Nuno prefers to defend in smaller spaces? We have the players to play in tight spaces too I guess.

I was quite surprised too, but perhaps Nuno prefers to defend in smaller spaces? We have the players to play in tight spaces too I guess.

Yet Porto's pitch is 105mx68m and Valencia's is 105mx70m so why would Nuno want to build his team on such a relatively small playing area?
Wolves completely rebuilt the pitch at the end of last season so maybe the decision on size was made prior to Nuno arriving?

Bollocks. You can't prove that either way (which I think is Mark's point).
I think your suggestion that it will have 0% effect is far more ludicrous than me saying it will have some effect and should be considered, you are being very narrow minded in my view.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Apparently Zenga narrowed the pitch. Maybe we just haven’t altered it since.

The difference is that Coady has leadership qualities, Batth only has a leadership title.
Well to borrow from Jonny, at this point you can't prove that either way.

If Batth's leadership were an actual factor then you'd think you'd have seen a tangible difference in that respect from the Middlesbrough, Derby, Hull, Cardiff and Brentford games. There hasn't been any difference at all. He's just done a good job while Boly has been out. And credit to him for that. He's played well. Some think he should be ahead of Miranda, others disagree.

His leadership (such as it is) is a total non-factor, he doesn't organise, he doesn't do all the tub thumping stuff (not that I want our players to do that), it's pure symbolism. If you'd given the armband to Neves for all of our league games for the last two months then the results would have been exactly the same.

He does great work in the community as club captain and it's understandable why he has retained that role.

It may be just me, but the captaincy is made into a much bigger deal in football (well, in English football) than it actually is. It's mostly ceremonial isn't it? Toss the coin and smile for the cameras with the mascots? They don't really do much else, as opposed to say a cricket captain.

Surely the days of having one 'leader' on the pitch are gone? You want a few leaders on the pitch, and not all shouting and screaming either.

Well to borrow from Jonny, at this point you can't prove that either way.

Can't argue with that. Judging by what I've seen so far Coady seems instrumental in organising the defence, Batth does not. However as you say we have no idea if this is true or just perception.

I think dropping the Captain will have 0% difference, however I don't know if dropping Danny Batth will make a difference. By the looks of thing it doesn't as the first three games have proved.

Being Captain is merely incidental, which you seem to think is important and I don't. I don't think we'll ever agree as neither argument can be proven.

If your argument is that it may make SOME difference to the thought process, then what a waste of time that is. It may make 0.1% and in which case you would Be correct, but it would still be an absolute non factor and everyone else is also correct.

Back to the pitch sizes... because I’m a sad bastard, I looked at the highlights of QPR and Preston. The 10 yard corner hash at Molineux is further from the penalty area than at QPR by about 1-2 yards. Therefore Molineux is 2-4yards wider than Loftus Road.

Not wanting to extend this discussion, but for all we know Nuno does factor in Batth's role as Captain, though suspect it may make a very small amount of difference.

He may well explain himself well as to who is in the team & not and everyone accepts this willingly seeing that this is a squad game and all will be needed at some point during the season so causes absolutely no problem as regards team spirit.

Ultimately we have 5 CBs (+ Bennett) and can only play 3 from the start - we will all have different preferences as to who those 3 should be if all are fit.

Being as this captain discussion is going round in circles,and a commenter is being obstructive,can I just ask,elephant pyjamas are you the history makers in disguise? His threads always ended up like this

Being as this captain discussion is going round in circles,and a commenter is being obstructive,can I just ask,elephant pyjamas are you the history makers in disguise? His threads always ended up like this

I can confirm he isn't :icon_lol:

Ive been told my argument is bollocks and ridiculous, yet i am being obstructive? Interesting.

Leadership is noticeable from the stands IMO. It's organisation and motivation of the players around you. It's clear with Coady he does that during games. With Batth I don't see it. I'd have no problem dropping him for Boly who like DW says is easily our best defender. He needs to come in asap for either Batth or Miranda. I don't really care which as both have been performing equally well recent.

Our defence was looking much better at the start of the season and that was with Miranda on the right side of the CBs. Move him back there and drop Danny IMO, who only came in due to injuries/suspensions any way. He should know he wasn't originally first choice and shouldn't be too upset.

Leadership is noticeable from the stands IMO. It's organisation and motivation of the players around you. It's clear with Coady he does that during games. With Batth I don't see it. I'd have no problem dropping him for Boly who like DW says is easily our best defender. He needs to come in asap for either Batth or Miranda. I don't really care which as both have been performing equally well recent.

Our defence was looking much better at the start of the season and that was with Miranda on the right side of the CBs. Move him back there and drop Danny IMO, who only came in due to injuries/suspensions any way. He should know he wasn't originally first choice and shouldn't be too upset.
Does Batth's performance at City count for nothing then?

Back