• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Did y'all skip electric hobs altogether? Went straight from gas to magnets?

We has a mix in different houses when I was a kid. We went induction, I dunno, about 10 years ago. They seemed to be a big thing at that time but they could’ve been big for ages. Not something you really pay attention to unless changing/moving/installing a new kitchen etc.

That's fair, just the lil cultural differences really fascinate me! Gas hobs have almost become a kitchen faux pas over here, but induction hasn't caught on at all really (despite being scientifically the coolest option).

Went induction a few years ago when our entire gas system got condemned in an unforgettable visit from the gasman to sort out a minor issue I had with my boiler. On the plus side the induction thing has been quality :)

I know our gas engineer is going to say we should get a new boiler when he comes to service it next month as it's 10 years or so old. Ok Mr Shorts Man, see you later. It's still working, you pack your stuff up and go now.

I understand we'll have to do it at some point but there is no less satisfying way to spend thousands of pounds in one go.

I know our gas engineer is going to say we should get a new boiler when he comes to service it next month as it's 10 years or so old. Ok Mr Shorts Man, see you later. It's still working, you pack your stuff up and go now.

I understand we'll have to do it at some point but there is no less satisfying way to spend thousands of pounds in one go.
10 years old you could get a decent replacement deal under one of the green schemes.

It's a pain in the arse whatever we do because the house is 120+ years old. I quite like the "kicking the can down the road" approach...

Gas boiler replacement dilemmas are the new big ‘Green’ ball ache.

They’re about as welcome as a diesel car so get one in quickly while you can before you’re forced to sell a kidney and go heat pump.

Feel quite fortunate mine was replaced 18 months ago so fingers crossed should at least buy a bit of time.

We had new central heating fitted in April after a winter with no warmth so hopefully ok with our Baxi Combi for a bit. Cost £4250 for the whole job which was pretty good really

It's a pain in the arse whatever we do because the house is 120+ years old. I quite like the "kicking the can down the road" approach...
Should be straight forward if it's a like for like swap, our house is the same age and took less than half a day to get our swapped. If your current one is only 10 years old then it shouldn't be like they're fucking around changed from some antiquated system.

It needs resetting occasionally and even less occasionally you have to fiddle with the pressure valves but broadly speaking it's fine. It's coming though, if not round the next corner then in a couple more.

We have decent insulation so although there are obviously times the heating has to go on, it's not that important for 70% or so of the year.

Last edited:
That's fair, just the lil cultural differences really fascinate me! Gas hobs have almost become a kitchen faux pas over here, but induction hasn't caught on at all really (despite being scientifically the coolest option).
Non induction electric hobs are like the worst thing invented. Things constantly getting too hot and take ages to cool down and then takes ages to heat stuff up

Non induction electric hobs are like the worst thing invented. Things constantly getting too hot and take ages to cool down and then takes ages to heat stuff up
They're not great! Can't say I fancy having to fuck around with a pilot (sp?) light, though. Had gas hobs at an apartment when I was in college/uni and they were such a pain in the ass. Smelled bad, too.

Everything you say is true, though.

Induction are WAY more responsive than gas, it’s like the most intimate heat control for cooking you can get. And the ability to cook any tinned stuff like beans in seconds if you really need to.
“Intimate” - they should use that as a strapline - they’d fly off the shelves!

I have an induction hob. They're fine but you have to make sure you check and buy pans that are compatible. Also if you want to lift and tilt the pan at any point during the cooking then the heat automatically turns off, which is annoying.
Yeah we have one, and they are far more efficient.
I know what you mean about taking the pan off, but the way they're designed means the heat returns almost instantly once the pan makes contact again.

I got caught out on Christmas day when I borrowed a big pot from my MiL to boil all the potatoes in. Put it on a high heat and came back a few mins expecting the water to be boiling and it was ice cold. The realisation on my face that I hadnt checked if the pan was compatible for induction hobs was a look. My wife thought something serious had happened when she heard all the swearing coming from the kitchen.

No pilot light. Just a knob with a built in ignition. I like my gas hob (rangemaster which Epsom didn’t like…) but it was given to us when we moved in. When we get the kitchen done will get an induction purely for the ease of cleaning, eco friendly ness being a secondary benefit.

As a dinosaur, we've always had gas hobs, never had any issue using or regulating them. My missus refuses point blank to go electric (I'm ambiguous about it). I'd never heard of an induction hob till 2 minutes ago!

You can take my gas hob when you prise it out of my cold, dead, hands etc, etc...

You guys!
We don't have gas on our estate. None.
You can get calor Gas in bottles otherwise it's electric.
Otherwise get a big fire going with one of those cauldrons on a chain hanging over it..

Our boiler is the same age as our house, about 14 years. It’s an Ideal Boiler and has been pretty reliable (so far!) just a couple of issues with it not turning itself off which was down to the valves.

We get it serviced every year and the man keeps telling us they no longer manufacture the parts for it so if something goes wrong we’re likely to need a new one. I’m trying to keep a bit of money aside to go towards a new one when we need it but other things keep needing to be paid for!

I have no idea what an induction hob is. When we rented we always had electric hobs and our house came with gas hobs, which we still have.

Back