• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Why is there some arbitrary made up time threshold before we can consider it worthy? How long, five years, ten? What difference does that make?

Are you disagreeing that a long established European tournament carries more gravitas than a new one?

As I said I'd love Wolves to be in it, and of course to win it. I just think it being called a "major" tournament is a bit much, but fair play to West Ham.

Ok, so do we do the following

Years 1-5 - Minor Tournament
5-10 - Low level prestige Tournament
10-15 - Getting there, hopefully changed the name at this point
15+ - Major Tournament

Blues competed in an invite only tournament so not comparable.

The intertoto was a mess of a cup competition that nobody could really fathom.
And the Conference League had a side that are ranked 427th in the coefficient appear in it.

I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore.

The Champions League has the winners from the League fo Wales involved in it at one point. Teams from Wolverhampton Sunday League 4th Division would give them a game.

And the Conference League had a side that are ranked 427th in the coefficient appear in it.

All teams had to qualify for the tournament. As DW said our representative had to finish 7th in the PL.

You can have a major trophy and prestige without history, you do realise that?

Calling it comparable with the Texaco cup or ZDS trophy is just silly.

Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar and a load of poor sides from places like Andorra and Luxembourg appear in the champions league. Did you spot that?

Lincoln Red Imps of Gibraltar
They add to the prestige of the Tournament because Sky Sports News ran this as 100% FACKT after they beat that other minor league team Celtic

sungla_fakefactjpg-js251831243.jpg

FFS just because it's not as prestigious as the Champions League (or indeed the Europa League) doesn't mean it isn't a major trophy.

The League Cup is a major trophy. Is it as prestigious as the FA Cup or indeed the Premier League? Of course it isn't. But it still counts. And I'd be over the fucking moon if Wolves won it.

Congrats to West Ham and I'm pleased for their fans - I'd stand knee deep in pig shit if it meant I could see Wolves win this 'little' competition

Not as strange as you taking this stance to back up your momentum mate
Well there's a little window into how your mind works, amazing.

Just had a glance back and I actually joined this conversation in replying to Bear.

It's very, very odd that both you and Johny have brought up politics as part of this conversation about whether the Conference League is a major tournament?

Do you honestly think that reasonable?

just looking for ways to start an argument out of nothing

Agree with all your post but echoing this - don't we have enough ways to start arguments out of nothing on here? (Anyway, Kenny started it.)

Might be a tinpot cup,
If we were in the final you’d have all been on the piss in Prague, be unbearable tomorrow after the hangover has gone.
We’d all go and watch the open top bus parade around town

Are you disagreeing that a long established European tournament carries more gravitas than a new one?

As I said I'd love Wolves to be in it, and of course to win it. I just think it being called a "major" tournament is a bit much, but fair play to West Ham.
I'd agree it was a bit tinpot and second rate if:

- You got in without deserving to (no, it's taken one of the pre-existing Europa League spots, as we well know you have to bloody well earn that)
- Teams didn't take it seriously at all (no, there's obviously some rotation but it seems to be treated appropriately)
- It were crammed full of weak teams (there are some but look at the latter stages, over the two years the last four have been Leicester, Roma, Feyenoord, Marseille, Fiorentina, Basel, West Ham and AZ, they're all big enough names, if you want to win it you will have to beat good opposition along the way)

Just arbitrarily saying "it's new so it doesn't count for anything yet" doesn't make any sense to me. You can see that it's set up to be a genuine third competition, would it have more prestige if they'd simply restored the Cup Winners' Cup? But that would probably have worse teams in it.

Might be a tinpot cup,
If we were in the final you’d have all been on the piss in Prague, be unbearable tomorrow after the hangover has gone.
We’d all go and watch the open top bus parade around town
To be fair, EP isn't stating he would lock himself in a cupboard and ignore the Final. He would be there having a mental with the rest of us.

His point is he can't class it as a Major Trophy as he has pants that are older than this tournament.

Back