• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

I'd love a European run and to win a trophy, but Templeton is right. It's the Johnstones Paint Trophy of European competitions in terms of prestige.

Its really no difference as to the previous time 3 Euro Cup were up for grabs (European, UEFA and Cup Winners).

Its a major trophy and if that was Wolves last night we would all be billy big bollocks this morning (with hangovers from hell) and telling those calling it shite to do one.

As for the prestige of a JPT.....one of the greatest days of my time supporting Wolves was joining nearly 40,000 other fans at Wembley for that Trophy (diff name of course).

Labelling any cups as mickey mouse doesn't half come across as sour grapes. If our season had gone better and we finished 8th we would be fuming we have just missed out on a Euro Comp.

I'd love a European run and to win a trophy, but Templeton is right. It's the Johnstones Paint Trophy of European competitions in terms of prestige.
Don't be silly, it's not even a direct comparison.

You have to qualify for a European competition by finishing high up your league/ winning a cup.

You think that is the equivalent of a cup competition only the bottom league teams can play in. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
I guess all Cups have a starting point where there is little or no prestige. It's only 2 years old.

Opening Winners Roma and West Ham, next season could see someone like Juventus win it. If one of Europe's elite teams wins it does it add to the prestige?

I guess all Cups have a starting point where there is little or no prestige. It's only 2 years old.

Opening Winners Roma and West Ham, next season could see someone like Juventus win it. If one of Europe's elite teams wins it does it add to the prestige?
It's making me smile, how does something get history and prestige without being created in the first place.

It's batshit thinking.

You think that is the equivalent of a cup competition only the bottom league teams can play in. Ridiculous
Not like you to take something so literally.

But this comp is for the very lowest qualifiers of European competition, similar to the intertoto Cup.

I'd love Wolves to be in it, let alone win it, and I cast no shade on their celebrations at all.

But is it really a major tournament?

Was Blues Intercity Fairs Cup runners up honour a major tournament? Was Fulham's Intertoto Cup win in 2002 a major tournament?

It’s great for clubs like us or West Ham. I can’t imagine the big clubs would be that arsed about competing in it.

Villa fans should have a great time watching their team compete in it next season.

It's making me smile, how does something get history and prestige without being created in the first place.

It's batshit thinking.
Well exactly, in 30 or 40 years it may well be looked at as a prestigious win.

Or it may well be looked at like the Texaco Cup or the Intercity Fairs Cup, or thinking domestically the ZDS Trophy.

You're actually contradicting yourself.

You have to finish 7th to get in it. Same as when we were in the Europa League. How does that make it Mickey Mouse, were we shit under Nuno after all, have I wandered onto Wolves Yoot Twitter somehow?

Don't. Talk. Shit.

But is it really a major tournament?

Was Blues Intercity Fairs Cup runners up honour a major tournament? Was Fulham's Intertoto Cup win in 2002 a major tournament?
Wasn't the Fairs Cup what eventually led to the UEFA Cup?

Intertoto was a pre-season tournament with a prize of getting into a Euro Comp

Conference League (shite name btw) is a major full on Euro Competition for me. Its simply UEFA bringing back the old days of them holding 3 major tournaments a year

You have to finish 7th to get in it. Same as when we were in the Europa League. How does that make it Mickey Mouse, were we shit under Nuno after all, have I wandered onto Wolves Yoot Twitter somehow?

Don't. Talk. Shit.
I don't think it is Mickey Mouse.

I don't think it's a major trophy either.

Nuance is lacking on here as ever.

Why is there some arbitrary made up time threshold before we can consider it worthy? How long, five years, ten? What difference does that make?

Blues competed in an invite only tournament so not comparable.

The intertoto was a mess of a cup competition that nobody could really fathom.

Back