• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Might be a Cost of Living one but it irritated me so is going in here.

Been a longstanding bad habit to automatically grab a coffee before stepping on a train without really thinking but a moment ago at Wimbledon station - fuck me - wake up and smell the coffee - so-to-speak.

How long before we’re paying a fiver for a shit coffee in a paper cup. Bollocks to that.

View attachment 7392
Been to a bike meet today at Mallory Park, coffee is 50p, only instant but no worse than Costa bilge. In a proper mug too. My bacon and egg cob was £3.50 though.

The sad thing is that coffee has stayed underpriced for ages.

If people were asked to pay what it was actually worth, it wouldn't be the most widely consumed beverage on Earth.

Not having a go, just know from experience (both big coffee chains and small shops) that most cafés have razor thin margins as it is.

What's that old saying about opinions, arseholes and mods on here?

I mean fair enough, your culture has been lead down the incorrect path so understand you can't help but be wrong on this. 😘
I'm with J. Alan Marsch on this one.

In fairness, coffee culture over there has (as far as I understand it) been infected by instant coffee for so long, it's no wonder Brits tend to prefer tea.

It's almost there's no right or wrong answer.
Sure, if you wanna be fair-minded about it, you killjoy.

I, on the other hand, have no time for such silly pretenses of beverage equality.

Not having a go, just know from experience (both big coffee chains and small shops) that most cafés have razor thin margins as it is.
Genuinely intrigued how this can be so. Coffee beans are cheap. Water is very cheap. Electricity was and can be cheap. Normal cups cheap and reusable, paper cups cheap. Milk cheap.

How at £3 a drink, or £4 in the above example is there not a massive margin? Certainly when I worked in hospitality as a youth it was said to be pretty much 95% profit.

I do actually like coffee (I own an aeropress), I just come from a family of tea drinkers so didn’t start drinking coffee until fairly recently. I can’t drink it daily though whereas I have to have a cup of tea every morning.

Genuinely intrigued how this can be so. Coffee beans are cheap. Water is very cheap. Electricity was and can be cheap. Normal cups cheap and reusable, paper cups cheap. Milk cheap.

How at £3 a drink, or £4 in the above example is there not a massive margin? Certainly when I worked in hospitality as a youth it was said to be pretty much 95% profit.
Building to sell it from, staff to make and sell it, rates to pay, taxes on everything.

Could be regional differences of course. Milk is absolutely not cheap at that scale, particularly when you consider the logistics involved with production, shipping, refrigeration, etc. Spilling milk was tantamount to a crime when I worked at Starbucks. It was drilled into us hard that milk was by far the most expensive ingredient we worked with.

If you're a brewed coffee drinker, you're keeping the lights on for most places. Pretty sure the margin for our brewed coffees was ~35%. For milk based drinks it could dip as low as 2%. And that's Starbucks, who own just about every link in their distribution chain. Things become much, much tougher for smaller cafés who can see milk based margins dip below 1%.

Building to sell it from, staff to make and sell it, rates to pay, taxes on everything.
Yeah but it's relative. Coffee has a gross profit of around 95% compared to 66-70% generally for food and drink.

There's a reason why when high street retail is struggling, coffee shops are still springing up everywhere and usually rammed.

It's also worth pointing out that "coffee beans are cheap" is due in no small part to huge swathes of coffee farmers being paid what could generously be called a poverty wage.

There's a reason why when high street retail is struggling, coffee shops are still springing up everywhere and usually rammed.
Because people are addicted to caffeine innit.

Back