• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

New - The things that really annoy you

Do companies think that when they lay off your peers, that your motivation to produce for them won't immediately fall of a cliff?

Hard to believe I've somehow survived two rounds of this now.

Do companies think that when they lay off your peers, that your motivation to produce for them won't immediately fall of a cliff?

Hard to believe I've somehow survived two rounds of this now.
Mad how many people are getting laid off over there in tech, we just let go an entire division. It’s far too easy to do in the US.

Mad how many people are getting laid off over there in tech, we just let go an entire division. It’s far too easy to do in the US.
It is. I'm just glad I got in when I did. Kids coming out of school are now competing with tens of thousands of devs with years of real enterprise experience.

Definitely can feel the proverbial walls closing in.

It is. I'm just glad I got in when I did. Kids coming out of school are now competing with tens of thousands of devs with years of real enterprise experience.

They’ll be cheap easy hires though.

They’ll be cheap easy hires though.
They'd be cheaper, that's true, but it feels like we've reached the point where hiring directors know that kids coming out of computer science programs are largely unprepared for the realities of the field (just like I was, really). The learning curve is immense, and I don't know if companies will be all that interested in actually developing their devs, so to speak.

You a software developer Al?

Aye, at least I spend a lot of time trying to be one!

Been at it for coming up on 3 years now. Time fuckin' flies, ay.
I guess your state is a 'right to work state?' (Or something like that?)

Being ill annoys me. I've felt like crap since yesterday evening, achey all over and a headache that just won't shift. Thought it might be Covid but the test I did today was negative.

Aye, at least I spend a lot of time trying to be one!

Been at it for coming up on 3 years now. Time fuckin' flies, ay.
My lad is one, dunno what it like over there but seems to be loads of jobs over here, he's not looking to change atm but gets recruiters chasing him daily.

My lad is one, dunno what it like over there but seems to be loads of jobs over here, he's not looking to change atm but gets recruiters chasing him daily.
Best of luck to him! Hopefully the market there stays more stable than it has here. From what I understand, it was our North American branch that took it on the chin hardest today.

But he they weren’t laid off, how could he afford the new Porsche/ Range Rover/ Bentley he deserved for the most profitable month ever? Those cars don’t buy themselves

It's those damn maintenance costs, clearly they didn't factor those in.

Might be a Cost of Living one but it irritated me so is going in here.

Been a longstanding bad habit to automatically grab a coffee before stepping on a train without really thinking but a moment ago at Wimbledon station - fuck me - wake up and smell the coffee - so-to-speak.

How long before we’re paying a fiver for a shit coffee in a paper cup. Bollocks to that.

IMG_5728.jpeg

Only need to cut down on the avocado toast and Netflix, you’ll have a deposit for a house in no time

Been a longstanding bad habit to automatically grab a coffee before stepping on a train without really thinking but a moment ago at Wimbledon station - fuck me - wake up and smell the coffee - so-to-speak.

How long before we’re paying a fiver for a shit coffee in a paper cup. Bollocks to that.

View attachment 7392
compared with some, those prices aren't that excessive.
I don't drink coffee myself, but it does amaze me observing colleagues who will have one or 2 such drinks each day. It seriously mounts up, but assume people don't monitor their spending so closely. Contactless, paying with phones etc doesn't help I guess.

Even Costa has got to be heading that way too. You wonder at what point sales start to drop off.

The missus has one of those Pret deals, £20pm for up to 5 drinks a day. Got a feeling it might be up to £25 now, and because it’s so popular you can queue for ages too but pretty sure that includes the smoothie stuff too so does seem like a right good deal to be fair.

I dunno, takeaway coffee at 4 quid is a line in the sand for me.

View attachment 7392

Back