• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2016/17

Wow. It said 1-1 on Soccerway as I typed that. Dang

Haven't watched the game as been out. But when you get to half time 1-1, not sure how you can go and lose 5-1 and end the tie.

Lost one key player and the defence turned into and utter shambles.

Has to be the end for Wenger at the end of the season way passed it now.

Removing Wenger is the bigger risk ever ha. Consistent champs league. Bring in a top manager who won't run a team of fragile wrecks, imagine if he didn't get CL first season. Imagine Arsenal in the Europa league. It would be great for memes though...

Removing Wenger is the bigger risk ever ha. Consistent champs league. Bring in a top manager who won't run a team of fragile wrecks, imagine if he didn't get CL first season. Imagine Arsenal in the Europa league. It would be great for memes though...

With the resources he has achieving 4th hasn't been that hard all these years all his got to show for it is one runners up medal and cock all else. Reality is if he had got things right last season they should have won the league.

Danny Mills made a good point on MOTD the other week. None of the current Arsenal owners or board have ever had to a sack a manager, never mind appoint a new one. Wenger basically runs the football side of the club from top to bottom.

Wenger will decide when he goes and not anyone else, IMO.

With the resources he has achieving 4th hasn't been that hard all these years all his got to show for it is one runners up medal and cock all else. Reality is if he had got things right last season they should have won the league.

Its got to happen at some point yeah. Big club though and always a talking point. Many many heads will explode if they go to shit or tbf even just finish in a Europa league spot after Wenger leaves ha. Would be like Man Utd all over again. It's a big risk I stand by it :icon_biggrin:

ogezhT1.png

This is Wenger's biggest issue, he has money now (unlike the first few years when they moved to the Emirates) and yet he persists with absolute shite for no reason.

Coquelin is not a top level midfielder, just like Almunia was not a top level goalkeeper, Gabriel is not a top level defender, there was no need to be perpetually handing out new deals year on year to the likes of Rosicky etc.

I'm surprised Elneny didn't come back in for him tonight.

I always liked Rosicky as well to be fair, think his biggest problem was staying in one piece rather than lacking quality.

In Wenger's defence he has at least tried to add some steel to his midfield recently, after wilfully neglecting any defensive midfield presence for years, but they've just not worked out. I've liked what I've seen of Elneny the few times I've seen him but he's nothing spectacular, Xhaka came with a big reputation and even bigger pricetag but I've seen nothing of him either at Arsenal or before that suggest he's worth anything like that and he's an red card waiting to happen most weeks to boot.

Think they've sort of lost their way in recent years, they're still a side built on attacking/aesthetic principles but some of their signings/selections recently seem at odds with one another. At the end with RVP they had that freakish connection between him and Song, think there was a impressive amount of assists for the former by the latter in the one season with lofted balls for him to latch onto with space in behind. Then they got Giroud and ended up playing off him a lot more with midfielders bouncing stuff of him and running on for the returns, I was a big fan of this approach and seemed to bring out the best in the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere. Then that little link up went out the window with the signing of golden boy Ozil, who I don't think suits that approach very well at all, he seems to much prefer playing behind a pacier forward who he can play in behind rather than looking to interchange passes with someone to get in on goal himself. I think that's what's lead to Sanchez being used more centrally a lot more often this season, he works as a better outlet for what Ozil wants to do but then that compromises someone like Ramsey who is a bit too cavalier to play deeper in midfield without a proper defensive guy next to him or he gets shoved out wide which is a complete waste.

I think they've perhaps been a bit slapdash in that they've seen a big name available now they've got money to throw around and got them without really thinking about how they fit in too much, certainly with Ozil though Sanchez has largely worked well whether out wide or up top.

He's a right faffer like me. I think given time, one day, he might try a GK out at CDM. That 2nd CDM spot - he loves to stick someone in, he probably has dreams of Sanchez playing there and scoring 20 still

His best two teams had Vieira paired with either Petit or Gilberto Silva. I just don't get how he's totally moved away from that approach, it's not like that profile of player doesn't exist any more.

His best two teams had Vieira paired with either Petit or Gilberto Silva. I just don't get how he's totally moved away from that approach, it's not like that profile of player doesn't exist any more.
Let's say you've just been appointed DOF at Arsenal with a mandate to recapture the style of Invincibles. What players are you looking to bring in?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They need a top class striker DM or two, more than anything IMO.

Let's say you've just been appointed DOF at Arsenal with a mandate to recapture the style of Invincibles. What players are you looking to bring in?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Higuian and Victor Wanyama. I'd be tempted to buy Romeu too.

Sanchez will go in the summer I imagine as I'll be very surprised if they end up in the top four.

I don't think it's just down to players though, wenger never seems to alter his tactics. Against Chelsea there were numerous times when one forward pass took out his entire midfield and left them 3 on 3. He's never been worried about protecting the back 4 who aren't particularly good defensively anyway

Back