• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leo Bonatini

Is he good enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will readily admit that I had my doubts about Bonatini. And I am delighted to be proven wrong.

I think it's safe to say that this had nothing to do with Thelwell.

I think it's probably one of the toughest recent signings to really place confidently at anyone's door.

He's got previous in Portugal which aligns him to Nuno/Mendes but no direct link to either of them as far as I've seen, Thelwell seems to still have enough sway to go for some off piste purchases which, generally anyway, you'd say a loan signing from Saudi Arabia fits into.

It could be any or none of them!

Having seen him play on Saturday, I've got a much deeper appreciation of what he brings to the team. Pre-season I really didn't think we would get anywhere near the kind of return he is delivering and it's fair to say he has won me over and I'm now a big fan.

I think it's probably one of the toughest recent signings to really place confidently at anyone's door.

He's got previous in Portugal which aligns him to Nuno/Mendes but no direct link to either of them as far as I've seen, Thelwell seems to still have enough sway to go for some off piste purchases which, generally anyway, you'd say a loan signing from Saudi Arabia fits into.

It could be any or none of them!

A player who has come through Cruzeiro & Juve's academies and then had a break out season in Liga NOS would certainly be on Gestifute's radar. He may have spent a year laying in a tinpot desert league but he wont have been an unknown. Like Deutsch said, he was linked with Sporting CP before he went to Al-Hilal. Whether it was Jorge's scouts who pointed us in his direction or if Nuno was just impressed after coming up against him, we'll probably never know. It's very unlikely to have been Thelwell though.

I think he has surpassed any of our expectations. There has obviously been potential there since he was young, hence the Juventus loan plus links to other big clubs, but I am delighted that he seems to be fulfilling it while playing for us.

If only we'd panicked on deadline day and spent a fortune on that 20 goal a season striker, eh? Bloody Fosun.

Bonatini is doing a fantastic job but part of his success is down to the quality of players who play with him. When was the last season that 2 of our strikers had 14 goals between them before November? So far you have to say that Fosuns restructuring decison, the decison to change coaching and managment and to invest in a Mendes guided recruitment strategy has absolutely pissed all over the theory that " you have to be an english or british clogger with championship experience who doesnt mind a cold wet night in Hull" to succeed in the championship. Rafa did it last year as did Wagner. Nuno is doing it this year. So far his efforts and that of his team and players have been outstanding. We have some excellent quality players in our squad and Leo is one of them . However I think that for the first time in many years the squad is perfroming to or above its potential. Players like Doherty, Vinaigre, squad players like Bennett , Price all understand their roles in this system much much better and perform them to a higher standard. Doherty is 3 times the wing back in comparison to his left back performances. He actually looks championship standard. Now that sounds harsh, but pretty much universal agreement on here that he was at best, a league one full back. Leo looked good. Jota looked good. Neves looked good but to get them playing to their abilities has been a team effort starting with the coaching and management. Its really really refreshing.

I will readily admit that I had my doubts about Bonatini. And I am delighted to be proven wrong.

Me too Frank, every time I see him I am impressed, his finishing could be better, and I think his finishing may cost us points, however He has changed my mind on him with some stunning performaces

Love Leo just such a clever player, last night he was linking beautifully then busting a gut to get into a scoring position.

He reads the game so well and can tackle the Middlesborough goal was no fluke.

If the 5 million reported fee is true we should wear a striped shirt and mask with a swag bag when completing the deal.

Cracking player just hope he stays fit.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Another centre forward who could hit the ball. Derek Dougan from the 3rd place play off 1973 v Arsenal. We won 3-1. This is the second goal. It looks fast even in slow motion!

voo250.gif

Me too Frank, every time I see him I am impressed, his finishing could be better, and I think his finishing may cost us points, however He has changed my mind on him with some stunning performaces

Every striker misses chances and we all know the stat - if you have a striker who scores 1 goal every two games then you have a seriously good striker. Leo has 9 in 15 with one penalty. Add in his assists and he is a seriously good player. Siggy is dead right: if we pay £5m then we have paid about a third of his true worth

His finishing is pretty bloody impressive. It's winning us games, not costing us points. No striker finishes every chance he gets. The important thing is the reaction to missing chance and Leo is excellent at keeping his head up and gaining confidence from getting chances. In that way, he's not dissimilar to a certain S G Bull MBE.

As I said on Twitter last night, if strikers nailed all their chances then Bully would have had 500 goals for us, minimum.

definite bargain. he's got a great reading of the game and only 23. plays the role really well. sure helps having jota along side him. hard not to smile :)

240_F_30215082_UkRQTbOQsiTtcjkTunYNjFoaaccgkRW5.jpg

Attachments

• 240_F_30215082_UkRQTbOQsiTtcjkTunYNjFoaaccgkRW5.jpg
    240_F_30215082_UkRQTbOQsiTtcjkTunYNjFoaaccgkRW5.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 23
The fact that he was signed a couple of days before the start of the season yet played against Boro tells you Nuno was involved in the signing. Irrespective of whether Mendes or Thelwell did the deal he's his man.

9 goals and loads of assists. Superb.

I love the way Leo and Jota are building an understanding like they are. Now if we could just get Costa to join in............

I just love wolves having strikers who score. Its a rarity

No it's not unless your terms of reference are the last two years or the mid 80s

Back